UIL Rules on Volunteer Coaches

Does anyone know the actual rule on volunteer coaches for a ISD. Ive heard that if your not a full-time employee of the district you can only coach sub-varsity sports but not varsity? Anybody know different?

http://www.uiltexas.org/files/constitution/uil-ccr-section-1200-1203.pdf

Section 1202: EMPLOYMENT OF COACHES

(a) HIGH SCHOOL COACHES.

(1) Full-Time Employees. A school is not eligible for UIL competition in an athletic activity unless the head coach and assistant

high school coaches are full-time employees of the school board of the school which the team represents.

(2) Full-Time Defined. Full-time means that the person is under contract to the school board of the school which the

athletic team represents for the whole scholastic or calendar year, and the person has enough contractual duties to

be considered a full-time employee by the Teacher Retirement System and state law. See Official Interpretation #14,

Appendix I.

(3) Exceptions. A retired teacher/administrator who has 20 or more years of experience may serve as an assistant coach

in all athletics and as a head coach for golf, tennis, team tennis, cross country, track and field, swimming and

wrestling. (This rule shall not affect the status of a coach on a leave of absence attending college.) Also, student

teachers, while they are assigned to a participant school district to fulfill their student teaching requirements, may

volunteer to serve as an assistant coach in all athletics. Schools shall not pay student teachers for assisting athletic

coaches. A full-time substitute who has coached during the school year may be permitted to continue coaching until

the UIL competitive year has ended. Example: state baseball playoffs.

http://www.uiltexas.org/files/constitution/uil-ccr-section-1200-1203.pdf

Section 1202: EMPLOYMENT OF COACHES

(a) HIGH SCHOOL COACHES.

(1) Full-Time Employees. A school is not eligible for UIL competition in an athletic activity unless the head coach and assistant

high school coaches are full-time employees of the school board of the school which the team represents.

(2) Full-Time Defined. Full-time means that the person is under contract to the school board of the school which the

athletic team represents for the whole scholastic or calendar year, and the person has enough contractual duties to

be considered a full-time employee by the Teacher Retirement System and state law. See Official Interpretation #14,

Appendix I.

(3) Exceptions. A retired teacher/administrator who has 20 or more years of experience may serve as an assistant coach

in all athletics and as a head coach for golf, tennis, team tennis, cross country, track and field, swimming and

wrestling. (This rule shall not affect the status of a coach on a leave of absence attending college.) Also, student

teachers, while they are assigned to a participant school district to fulfill their student teaching requirements, may

volunteer to serve as an assistant coach in all athletics. Schools shall not pay student teachers for assisting athletic

coaches. A full-time substitute who has coached during the school year may be permitted to continue coaching until

the UIL competitive year has ended. Example: state baseball playoffs.

so, if employed at said high school full time you can volunteer and coach and be ok?

Thanks everybody. So at the JH level anyone can volunteer and coach if the AD allows it.

I sent your question to the UIL and this is the response....."Anyone who works with a high school team/athlete in practice or game situations must be a full time employee of the school district. In my opinion, a high school would be in violation of UIL rules by allowing anyone who is not a full time employee of the school district to work with students in school practices or games/events."

In todays day and age of frivolous lawsuits the school that would allow a person that has not been employed by the school district to participate in any practice is just opening up themselves for trouble. Throwing bp to your kid after practice in the cage, great, but not during practice. Over the course of my career I have seen parents of athletes coach Baseball, Track, and believe it or not be the trainer. I distanced myself from those situations b/c of the legal ramifications. Don't get me wrong, I think its great that parents want to help out but the legality of the situation has to be considered. I don't know if your looking out for your team or trying to get someone in trouble but legally they have to be a full time employee. Varsity,Sub-varsity, or Jr. High makes no difference

So if a dad is throwing bp for baseball that would be a violation?

Yes......

I sent your question to the UIL and this is the response....."Anyone who works with a high school team/athlete in practice or game situations must be a full time employee of the school district. In my opinion, a high school would be in violation of UIL rules by allowing anyone who is not a full time employee of the school district to work with students in school practices or games/events."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The problem with this entire thread is not what the UIL's stance is on the matter,,,,,,but, why a Coach would allow a parent of an athlete on the team to participate in the practices or games at the high school level. Regardless of the individuals motives or intentions, the consensus would be that they are there to advance the chances of their kids starting, and or playing. Does not mean that the consensus was accurate, but who needs that drama?

• Like 3

The problem with this entire thread is not what the UIL's stance is on the matter,,,,,,but, why a Coach would allow a parent of an athlete on the team to participate in the practices or games at the high school level. Regardless of the individuals motives or intentions, the consensus would be that they are there to advance the chances of their kids starting, and or playing. Does not mean that the consensus was accurate, but who needs that drama?

+1
  • Like 2

While I agree, I have seen some schools where the HC is just a football guy who cant even hit ground balls to the right spot in fielding practice... It was literally a HC position to pay an OC or DC $1-2k more to keep them around. Usually when you have a kid that can play baseball well, his dad has been coaching baseball on some level for a while...

However, if the kid of the dad isn't heads and tails above the other players as the best player, you are asking for some drama and rumblings....

• 1 year later...
On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 2:54 PM, sharkb8er said:

what would your tone be if say mmmmm roger Clemens or pedro Martinez wanted to teach their sons or friends sons how to pitch at the local high school and obviously they wouldn't work full time at school....would you want him or the baseball coach of 2 years?

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

4 hours ago, neveragain said:

The pro athletes could certainly do it outside of the school practice and it would be appreciated.  To interfere with the team practice just because you are a celebrity would be counter-jproductive.

Whatever dude. if the coach wanted to bring in a pro or former pro to help coach his team it shouldn't be against UIL rules. If your lucky enough to get one to help out it would be worth it even to the coach

On 3/29/2018 at 11:22 AM, highschoolfootball99 said:

Whatever dude. if the coach wanted to bring in a pro or former pro to help coach his team it shouldn't be against UIL rules. If your lucky enough to get one to help out it would be worth it even to the coach

then schools that do not have pro-athletes for dads would be at a disadvantage. playing fair, who would have thought it.