Push To Put "Too Tall" Jones In Cowboys Ring Of Honor

I think he should be added along with Harvey Martin, George Andrie (in more Pro Bowls), Billy Joe Dupree, Larry Cole, Pat Donovan, John Fitzgerald, Tom Rafferty, Charlie Waters, Bob Bruenig, Everson Walls, Bill Bates, Daryl Johnson, and Crazy Ray. Am I missing anyone ? I'm thinking even Ernie Stautner and Dan Reeves. Dan Reeves deserves it for being a player and coach for 15 seasons. I think Dan Reeves deserves to be in the HOF, he's been to the Super Bowl more than any other player or coach with 9, but the teams he's played coached are 2-7.

I don't think a lot of my generation realizes how much Dan Reeves played a part in the Cowboys. They might remember as the Broncos coach. They definitely know him and the '98 Dirty Bird Falcons. He was a good running back, especially on the halfback option. He had a arm. Doesn't so much as retire as Landry promotes him to an assistant coach position. I'd like to see him up there.

If Too Tall goes in, Harvey Martin should be right beside him. If he wasn't the best pass rusher in Cowboys history it's a short role call. Was part of the greatest moment in the Cowboys-Redskins rivalry. Throwing the funeral wreath in the Redskins locker room after beating them in '79. Classic. Might have even got a smile out Landry, who knows?

image.jpeg

Jethro Pugh

14 seasons, 95.5 sacks and held the Cowboy season record for sacks (15.5) until Ware broke his record in 2010

Actually Harvey Martin had the record with 23 in 1977. The Cowboys did keep records. Back then sacks weren't kept as records by the NFL, except for football cards. From Wikipedia : The NFL didn't start recognizing quarterback sacks as an official stat until 1982; however, the Cowboys have their own records, dating back before the 1982 season. According to the Cowboys' stats, Martin is unofficially credited with a total of 114 sacks,[2] leading the Cowboys in sacks seven times during a nine-year period, with a high total of 23 sacks in 1977.[3] Martin played only on passing downs as a rookie, but still led the team in quarterback sacks with 9, tying Willie Townes rookie team record. Martin got 15 1/2 sacks in 1976 and made the Pro Bowl for the first time. He still holds the team record for most sacks for a rookie (9 - 1973) and in a season (23 - 1977).[4] His unofficial career franchise sack record lasted 30 years, before being broken by DeMarcus Ware in 2013.[5] .

Cornell Green

I concur.

Don't get me started on the NFL's flawed logic - there is nothing "official" about a partial stat smiley.gif

I don't know why they didn't keep sack totals back in the day, but I know Topps did. I didn't have to go look through my collection thanks to the internet. http://www.tradingcarddb.com/ViewCard.cfm/sid/3229/cid/813837/1978-Topps-507-Tony-Dorsett-/-Drew-Pearson-/-Cliff-Harris-/-Harvey-Martin .

Actually Harvey Martin had the record with 23 in 1977. The Cowboys did keep records. Back then sacks weren't kept as records by the NFL, except for football cards. From Wikipedia : The NFL didn't start recognizing quarterback sacks as an official stat until 1982; however, the Cowboys have their own records, dating back before the 1982 season. According to the Cowboys' stats, Martin is unofficially credited with a total of 114 sacks,[2] leading the Cowboys in sacks seven times during a nine-year period, with a high total of 23 sacks in 1977.[3] Martin played only on passing downs as a rookie, but still led the team in quarterback sacks with 9, tying Willie Townes rookie team record. Martin got 15 1/2 sacks in 1976 and made the Pro Bowl for the first time. He still holds the team record for most sacks for a rookie (9 - 1973) and in a season (23 - 1977).[4] His unofficial career franchise sack record lasted 30 years, before being broken by DeMarcus Ware in 2013.[5] .

I concur.

It's funny you use Wikipedia as the source because that is where I got my stats.

Copied and pasted from the Jethro Pugh page of Wikipedia:

While quarterback sacks were not an official NFL statistic during his career, Pugh is unofficially credited with a career total of 95.5. He led the Cowboys in sacks each season from 1968 to 1972 with a high mark of 15.5 in 1968, a team record that stood until 2010 when DeMarcus Ware reached six straight seasons.[8] He averaged 12½ sacks, during one amazing stretch of his career (1968–1972) and currently ranks sixth on the Cowboys all-time sacks list with 95.5

Apparently Wikipedia needs to do an data/info audit

Both Baron and Dave are correct. Harvey Martin has the single season record. Jethro Pugh held the team record for consecutive season leading the team in sacks, until Demarcus Ware broke it.

That's possible too Cheapy. Lol This was taken from the Cowboys website. In 1977, he had 23 sacks in 14 games.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2012/07/06/counterpoint-harvey-martin-should-be-inducted-next

Obviously they were all badasses. Where would the history books put Dallas without Harvey Martin, Too Tall or Pugh? Doomsday I & II doesn't exist without these players.

It's funny you use Wikipedia as the source because that is where I got my stats.

Copied and pasted from the Jethro Pugh page of Wikipedia:

While quarterback sacks were not an official NFL statistic during his career, Pugh is unofficially credited with a career total of 95.5. He led the Cowboys in sacks each season from 1968 to 1972 with a high mark of 15.5 in 1968, a team record that stood until 2010 when DeMarcus Ware reached six straight seasons.[8] He averaged 12½ sacks, during one amazing stretch of his career (1968–1972) and currently ranks sixth on the Cowboys all-time sacks list with 95.5

Apparently Wikipedia needs to do an data/info audit

Check my trading card link when I responded to Cheaptrick. It shows that Harvey's 23 sacks were the most. That would include the 20 by DeMarcus Ware in 2008. Wikipedia got it wrong on both accounts. Harvey Martin still holds the record. http://www.nfl.com/player/demarcusware/2506349/careerstats .

Everson Walls...favorite player of that era...until The Catch.

Then he wasn't your favorite player very long, that happened during his rookie season. He still made the Pro Bowl that year after being an undrafted free agent out of Grambling. I was quick to forgive him for that lapse, because of those facts. I don't think Jerry will ever let him in the Ring of Honor, because of the way he left the Cowboys. He is second on the list for most interceptions for a Cowboy. After Coach Landry was fired, he said that he became a Giants fan again. Although I hate the Giants, I'm glad Everson finally got his ring with them. He made an integral tackle on Thurman Thomas that may have helped in the distance for Scott Norwood's missed field goal at 47 yards out.

Bonus minutia:

The aforementioned Cornell Green is the younger brother of Pumpsie Green - the first African-American to play for the Red Sox, the Bosox being the final MLB team to integrate...

s-l1600.jpg

^Did not know that.

The 90s Cowboys have had the main guys pretty much inducted. Aikman, Smith, Irvin, Haley, Allen and Woodson. If I had my picks from that decade of greatness.

Jay Novacek- My favorite Cowboy of all time. 5 time Pro Bowler. 3 time Super Bowl Champion. He was a glue guy on that star studded team.

Bill Bates- The special teams lynchpin on those Super Bowl teams. To 80s/90s kids he is Mr.Cowboy.

Daryl Johnston- Moose gave a couple inches of his height to allow Emmitt Smith to run his way into the record books. The "Mooooose" calls when he touched the ball were heard all over the league.

Nate Newton, Mark Tuinei, Mark Stepnoski- Three of the best linemen on one of the greatest o-lines of all time. Belong up there but with their off the field activities they won't go up.

Tony Tolbert- Mainstay at DE on that loaded defensive line. Was the Cowboys 90s decade leader in sacks.

I don't understand why Harvey isn't talked about for the Hall of Fame. He was on the 70's All Decade Team. The only 1st Team players that aren't in are you guessed it Dallas Cowboys Drew Pearson and Cliff Harris. The Second team players that aren't in are L.C. Greenwood, Harvey Martin, Robert Brazile, Louis Wright, Dick Anderson, The only special teams players that aren't in are Rick Upchurch, Jim Bakken, Jerrel Wilson, and Billy "White Shoes" Johnson. I think they should all be in by now.

I have a feeling DeMarcus Ware will go in before Harvey or Too Tall.

It seems to me that team success has a lot more to do with whether someone makes the HOF than it should ...

The Steelers of the 70s have their team for the most part enshrined. Why not Dallas then? There's a bias there against America's Team. Drew Pearson and Cliff Harris should have been in decades ago. Harvey Martin is one of the greatest pass rushers in NFL history. The voters need to re-look at how great those guys were.

The Steelers of the 70s have their team for the most part enshrined. Why not Dallas then? There's a bias there against America's Team. Drew Pearson and Cliff Harris should have been in decades ago. Harvey Martin is one of the greatest pass rushers in NFL history. The voters need to re-look at how great those guys were.

I watched them play, and there isn't any reason they shouldn't be in.