Overton 2016

OptimusPrime

Dislikes Carlisle huh? That practically makes him kin folk.

Gee, I can't imagine what a Henderson coach would have against Price-Carlisle. Nope. Can't imagine. :lol:

Well OC announced today he was leaving...

That's a big loss for Overton, both on and off the field. Great guy, excellent teacher and coach. I know he'll do well wherever he lands.

Heard an OC was hired from Arkansas that has 4 state titles under his belt...

If true, this is certainly encouraging. But you know me Ronster, frankly I don't care how good the offense is. If we ain't stopping nobody, the offense is lipstick on a pig. I'd rather win games by a final score of 7-0 than to lose 'em in a barnburner shootout. Big points are exciting for the fans, but give me ugly low-scoring wins anyday.

Historically, Overton's best offenses occurred when our defense was hard-hitting and aggressive. I remember a big part of Jessie Starling's 2K rushing seasons came because our offense was on the field most of the time. ;)

Doesn't matter if they get Urban Meyer to run the offense, gotta have the athletes...and Overton's only got a few of those

You're right, a good coach has to be a good recruiter too. Urban Meyer is one of the best.

Okay, so Strickland's the new AD and some new guy from Arkansaw is running the O. Any other changes afoot? What about the team? Looks like Overton lost a lot, but is bringing quite a few starters back.

I'm kinda out-of-the-loop, so y'all feel free to correct me where I'm wrong...

Some important seniors are returning. On the line there's Croteau/Rodriguez/Steelman, the Reddick kid at TE, the other Croteau at wideout, Lee in the backfield, and Marshall at QB.

After that there's some solid juniors: Sartors, Boehm, Netherland, Herndon. There's the sophomore standout Palmer who needs to get as many touches as possible, and several other impressive underclassmen who got playing time as freshmen. Rogers, Brown, Worley and a few others.

The cupboard is hardly bare, but there is a lot of work to be done. Most of the kids still there are good kids, and will play their butts off. In the right system, Overton could surprise some folks this year.

P.S. What's all this transfer talk I'm hearing? A big kid who moved in during Spring? Some former Overton kids coming home again? Anyone? Bueller?

I heard the rumors of former players returning from nearby schools where they transferred...but think it's just talk.

Another Sr will be Long, played mainly D last year, real quick player...another Jr is King, got a lot of playing time last year on the O/D line, as well as Allison...another upcoming Soph will be another Herndon, strong and quick along with Osburn who ran the JV offense and a tough defensive player...one question mark is a QB that had to sit out last year freshman year with a bad back...not sure if he'll play, very talented kid.

Another Sr will be Long, played mainly D last year, real quick player...another Jr is King, got a lot of playing time last year on the O/D line, as well as Allison...another upcoming Soph will be another Herndon, strong and quick along with Osburn who ran the JV offense and a tough defensive player...one question mark is a QB that had to sit out last year freshman year with a bad back...not sure if he'll play, very talented kid.

Ah, right, of course. For some reason I thought Long was graduating. Yes, he'll certainly help on defense. Good, hard working kid.

King and Allison are big ol' boys and should give us a pretty dang salty line, as will the younger Herndon. I've been waiting for him to play varsity ball since he was in grade school. I think he's gonna be a good'n when it's all said and done.

I don't expect Osburn will get much bigger, but that's never stopped any of his kinfolk. :) Old school tough, those Osburns. I bet he's gonna have a breakthrough season.

The frosh QB, do you mean young McCasland? I thought he was focusing more on basketball? Are his brothers going to be playing for their senior year? Talented kids, all of 'em.