WEEK 1: Marshall Mavericks (5A) Vs. Tyler Lee Red Raiders (6A)

Mavchamp

Marshall Vs. Tyler Lee  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Who you got?

• Tyler Lee in a close one
    • Marshall in a close one
    • Tyler Lee in a blowout
    • Marshall in a blowout

MARSHALL MAVERICKS

Vs.

TYLER LEE RED RAIDERS

August 26th, TMF Tyler Rose Stadium, 7:30 pm

e7172f_298b3d7ad04c46b19a0deadb744247d3.9f14b426b4ea4c9f89588c1f974f2d53.png?wid

The last time Marshall and Tyler Lee met on the football field during the regular season.....

gas was $1.46 a gallon

brownouts were rolling across California

and the terror attacks on 9/11 dominated the news and people's minds as a new era dawned on our country.

October 12, 2001, was the last time the two long-time rivals met in a district game. Following that season, Marshall and Nacogdoches were realigned into (then) 4A, forever changing the landscape of East Texas football.

A rivalry that dated back to 1960 had an unceremonious ending in 2001.

Since 2001, both programs have seen both all-time highs and all-time lows. Tyler went on to win a 5A Div I state championship in 2004, while Marshall had back-to-back state title appearances in 2004 and 2005. Both have had plenty of other playoff successes since their last meeting in 2001. However... both have recently seen historic lows.

Tyler Lee's fall from grace was punctuated in 2010 when they went (2-9), prompting the departure of Mike Owens, who had lead the Raiders to the aforementioned state title just 5 years prior. The struggles of 2010 continued in 2011 when Lee went (1-10). 2012 was no better with a mark of (1-9).

2013: (4-6)

2014: (5-6)

2015: (5-6)

Since 2010, the Red Raiders have gone a combined (18-46) with their last playoff win coming in 2009.

Similarly..... Marshall fell on hard times in 2011 when they went (2-8) followed by a dismal (1-9) in 2012. It was the first one-win season for the Mavs since 1971. They narrowly escaped their first winless season since 1963 (0-9-1) thanks to a 49-29 win over Pine Tree.

Enter MHS alumni Clint Harper, who has helped turned the Mavericks' fortunes around with three straight playoff appearances since 2013, a shared district championship with Longview and Texas High, and a 5A regional semifinals finish last season at (11-2).

Marshall leads the all-time series Vs. Tyler Lee (23-18-1). Lee won the final 5 games from 1997-2001. Marshall last beat Lee in 1996 when the Mavs finished (10-0) in the regular season.

--------------------

Red Raiders last Season: (5-5, 4-3)

Tyler Lee will be breaking in another new coach this year with Clayton George taking over the reigns of the program. He came to Tyler from one of the most decorated schools in the state, Southlake Carroll. He spent 10 years at SLC as the OC, where the Dragons amassed a record of (115-21).

He will come to town with an offense that only has 3 returning starters. Luckily for him..... one of them is QB Chance Aimie. He replaced Mr. All-World QB Zach Hall last season when a knee injury Vs. JT ended his season. Aimie started just 4 games last year and amassed nearly 1,000 yards passing and another 400 with his legs.

WR K. Davis may prove to be one of his favorite targets.

The offensive line may be a concern for Tyler Lee as they will be very inexperienced.

The biggest concern for Lee may be needed improvement on their defense from last season. The Red Raiders gave up points in BIG BUSHELS last season:

66- To Garland Sachse (Loss)

65- To Rockwall (Loss)

59- To Fossil Ridge (Loss)

54- To Rowlett (Loss)

54- To Garland Lakeview Centennial (Win)

52- To Lufkin (Loss)

47- To Garland (Win)

38- To John Tyler (win)

35- To Naaman Forrest (Win)

21- To North Garland (Win)

That's average of surrendering 49.1 PPG. Luckily for REL, they had an offense that was scoring points at almost an equal clip at 41.7 PPG.

-----------

Mavericks last Season: (11-2, 6-1 District Tri-champions)

Coach Harper enters his fourth season with the Mavericks in what may be the season he has the highest expectations placed on his team.

That's a tall order knowing Marshall will start the season with a quarterback not named Justin Hart for the first time since 2011. Four-year starter Hart graduated and has since taken his talents to NCAA Div III ETBU.

When Hart went down in week 7 last season, Mr. Everything Cameron Haller stepped up to QB and lead the Mavericks to the third round of the playoffs, going (3-2) under center.

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/cameron-haller/RtS-z696EeO00gAmVebEWg/videos.htm

Enter Junior QB Hunter Herrington in 2016, who is expected to do big things as he soaked up the offense last season on the sidelines learning from both Hart and Haller. Hobbled by his own injury last season, he spent the latter portion learning the offense. He had a stellar summer of 7 on 7 play..... but inexperience at the varsity level will be a concern.

Meanwhile..... Cameron Haller is expected to return to the position(s) in which not only he.... but the entire Mav offense shone brightest. He may line up as a WR, perhaps TE, or even the backfield. Let's not forget in the wildcat formations as well. Like last season, he could be a DC's nightmare.

Concern for the Mavs? Offensive line.... they will be young, but not completely inexperienced thanks to some late-game action last season in some blowout wins. However, they will have to mature quickly for the likes of Lee, Longview, Corsicana, and Ouachita in the first 4 weeks of the season.

The Mav defense returns no less than 8 starters from last year on a unit that was peppered with numerous sophomores. While they played well enough last season to win several games.... their youth betrayed them at times, giving up lots of real estate. Although they improved as the season progressed.... they were exposed in the final game of the season in a big loss to Frisco Lone Star.

The defense will need to do some work at the beginning of the season as a new QB works on getting his legs under him.

----------

Coach Harper is (41-21) on his career as a HC. He is (21-15) at Marshall since 2013 with three straight playoff seasons; advancing in 2014 and 2015. He lead the Mavs to their first district title since 2005 last season (shared). Last year's region semi-finals was the deepest playoff run for the Mavs since 2009's region semi-finals appearance.

The Mavs have advanced to at least the region semifinals five times since 2004.

Tyler Lee's last district championship came in 2009 when they shared it with JT and DeSoto. That was also the last year Lee won a playoff game.

----------

Rose Stadium has been somewhat of a house of horrors for Marshall in recent memory, but there have been some bright spots intermingled with the doom and gloom

2014: lost 2nd round playoff game to South Oak Cliff 55-35

2011: lost district game to John Tyler 56-35

2009: WIN Area Playoff game over Corsicana 34-4

2007 WIN Bi-District Playoff game over Texas High 31-27

2007: lost region semifinal game to McKinney Boyd 21-14

2005: lost 4A Div I State Championship to Highland Park (score blocked from my memory)

2001: lost district game to Tyler Lee 35-10

2000: lost district game to John Tyler 28-14

1999: lost district game to Tyler Lee 30-10

1998: WIN district game over John Tyler 28-14

1997: lost district game to Tyler Lee 24-21

1996: WIN district game over John Tyler 24-17

Marshall is (4-8) at Rose Stadium in the last 20 years. Including (3-3) in the playoffs and (1-5) in district play.

--------------

Marshall Vs. Tyler Lee tid bits:

1. Marshall and Lee first met in 1958 in JV only games for the first 2 seasons. The first varsity game between them was in 1960. Marshall won that game 36-6.

2. Tyler Lee's first win over Marshall came in 1963 when the "Rebels" beat the Mavs 32-8.

3, The Longest winning streak Marshall had Vs. Lee was 6 consecutive from 1979-1984.

4. The longest losing streak Marshall had to Lee was 5 consecutive from 1997-2001.

5. The lowest scoring games in the series was 6-0, each winning one of them. 1975 (Marshall) and 1967 (REL).

6. The Highest scoring game in the series was a 57-50 thriller in 1992 won by Lee on a 52 yard TD pass with just seconds remaining on the clock.

7. The closest game in the series was a 30-30 tie in 1991.

While most of the current players were toddlers the last time Lee and Marshall played a regular season game, they have scrimmaged each other the last three seasons.... so there is some familiarity.

2015- Marshall beat Lee 28-14

2014- The squads tied 28-28

2013- The squads tied 21-21

2012- Lee beat Marshall 21-0

A game Lobo fans should keep an eye on Week 1 since we play both teams.

Hard to call. On paper, Marshall should win this game. But something tells me Lee wins it in a close one. Something like 38-35.

I'm pulling for the Mavs in this one. I agree with Wolf though, that it will be a high-scoring close football game. However, I'm just not sure Lee will win it. The home field doesn't really matter with them. So, no advantage there. I know they have some talented players returning on offense, but with the defense more than likely struggling again this season and having new coaches going up against a tough Maverick team in week 1, I'm just not sure they should be the favorites. Coach Harper has turned that Mavs program around. So, I gotta go with them. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this was a blowout in favor of the Mavs.

No reason to think that Marshall does not win this one unless they have some QB struggles and Cam isn't playing. However, being from Marshall and knowing the town of Marshall, Cam Haller WILL be playing, the football staff WILL protect his future, and Cam Haller will WANT to win a state championship in football.

I expect Marshall to win big, hopefully living up to the big expectations for this season.

I see the Mavs doing what needs to be done in this matchup. They have to prove that last years impressive season was not a fluke, after a couple really bad years. This program is DEFINITELY moving forward. As Wolf pointed out, this is one the Lobos need to pay attention to.

I see the Mavs doing what needs to be done in this matchup. They have to prove that last years impressive season was not a fluke, after a couple really bad years. This program is DEFINITELY moving forward. As Wolf pointed out, this is one the Lobos need to pay attention to.

I think with the teams Marshall beat to get to where they were last season, it was clear it was not a fluke. It will be more of a challenge to live up to the expectations rather than "prove it was not a fluke." if you know what i mean?

I don't think lee offense will be as exsplosive with out hall Lee will struggle this year maybe get it together next year I'll take marshall by 2 tds

Hall is gone, but Lee will arguably still have the better QB in this game. Chance Amie (QB that took over after Hall's injury last season) ain't too shabby. He even passed for 325 and ran for 115 one game last year.

Besides a new HC, Lee will mostly struggle in 11-6A because of lack of defense (although they do have two on that side of the ball that will probably play on Saturdays).

Like I said, on paper Marshall could very well win this by at least 10. But I wouldn't be surprised to see either win honestly.

Im not sure if itll be close or not. Really just depends how well Lee plays in the first game with a new coach. They have the tools to make it a game, but will it be ready by week one? I think Marshall will really haveta play poor to not win. I doubt we will be looking ahead to Lview again that early in season.

Great write up Mac that was very 07ish of you. I going to take Lee in a close one. It's really a toss up game.

So you vote Lee in a blowout in the poll.....

LMAO.

SMDH.

I knew you would notice it's like moth to a flame

I have no problem with people voting any way they wish......

But when a poster's words and actions don't match...... of course I'll question it.

There's a word for people that say one thing and do another.......

But I promise.....no matter HOW I vote......... I won't be posting one thing in narrative......... and voting another way in the poll.

I have no problem with people voting any way they wish......

But when a poster's words and actions don't match...... of course I'll question it.

There's a word for people that say one thing and do another.......

But I promise.....no matter HOW I vote......... I won't be posting one thing in narrative......... and voting another way in the poll.

I have a word for it... Lets play Hangman.... I D _ O _....

What I recall most about Lee last year in our scrimmage against them was how MASSIVE their offensive line was. They were HUUUUUGE.

Their defensive line was huge too..... but that worked to our advantage because our speed really hurt them.

If the same holds true this year..... then it's in the best interest of the Mavericks to keep the ball away from Lee and that huge line. In other words... our success in this game could depend on how quickly the offense comes together.

Like I said at the top.... this is the first time we've started a season with a QB not named Justin Hart since 2011. That's a little crazy to think about. But we don't need Herrington shouldering the entire offense like Hart did in 2011 (another thread for another day). There's no reason for the QB to have that much pressure in his first start. Having Haller on the field will help Herrington spread the ball.... and the opposing defense.

I remember when I saw the HUGE size difference between us and REL last year it immediately reminded me why I was so happy to see MHS move down a classification in 2002. That was a WEEKLY disadvantage for us in the old 5A district.

Anyhow..... I'm upset I'll miss the Carthage scrimmage so I can get a glimpse... but I"ll be ready for REL the following weekend.

serious question, what happened to all of our Lee posters on the forum? A few years back, there were quite a few, now I only know of 2 who aren't "closet" Lee fans...

Tyler is quite fickle.

Unlike mavs fans when times were down a few years ago y'all stayed. Bandwagon fans are probably the worst fans out there. GoLee poster (I think) was usually on here a lot .

True..... We stuck around.... BUT..... We were only down 3 seasons. Lee's misery had been twice as long.

I can't even imagine. Those three years felt like an eternity.