WEEK 1: Marshall Mavericks (5A) Vs. Tyler Lee Red Raiders (6A)

Mavchamp

Marshall Vs. Tyler Lee  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Who you got?

• Tyler Lee in a close one
    • Marshall in a close one
    • Tyler Lee in a blowout
    • Marshall in a blowout

What?

Guyer played great defense in 2013. 2012 Guyer was 'okay'. But even that defense wasn't comparable to the mess that was LR. LR gave up at least 40 to 4 different teams in the playoffs this past year, and 3 of those teams scored over 50!

That has to do with how their offense plays, though. They also kicked onsides a lot IIRC, meaning teams faced a short field against them. So they scored a lot but let a lot of points score too. I honestly wonder if they LET teams score against them just to see if they could get the onsides kick after they scored which would mean a two-score lead and almost sure win.

Four weeks!!!!

Went to get my season tickets yesterday..... parking lot was full.

I asked the athletic secretary why all the traffic and she stated it was students coming to work out. I was floored at the number of cars there.... she stated they have been coming in like that all summer long. She's been there forever and she said she's never seen anything like it before.....

I dunno how the rebuilt offense is going to go in week 1..... but if nothing else it sounds like the guys will show up in great shape.

And I posted this on another other thread pertaining to him...... but here goes.....

Look at who showed up for the Mavs at the ETSN photoshoot......

http://etsn.fm/marshall-footballs-etsn-fm-photo-days-shoot-at-a-glance-2/#photogallery-1=4

That doesn't look like a guy about to walk away from football his senior year to concentrate on A&M and baseball only.

All the speculation (and wishful thinking for a few) can end......

Did Marshall never have players work out during the summer? Or was it just a limited number?

I know that schools can't make them mandatory, but most of our teams went at least twice a week back in the day.

With Harris, the positions basically showed up at the same time and worked out early. Usually the OL was there at 6 and done by 7:30... The Dl was typically there with them. A lot of the position players worked out later in the day. But off season lifting was typically from 6 am until 3pm....

So it was always decent numbers, just never at the same time.

Most have worked early in the morning, first in the weightroom & then outside running the bleachers & agility drills. Others who had day jobs would come in later in the day. I've been really impressed with the younger players putting in time.

Just got a little more information on the video board being installed at Maverick Stadium. It will be a lot bigger than originally told. I had heard we were getting the same as the one at PT's stadium.... but ours will be considerably bigger.

The scoreboard at Pine Tree's stadium is 15.7' by 20.4'

The one the Maverick Boosters are installing will be 21' by 36'.

But still smaller than Carthage's 26' by 44'.

Guessing that's going to put it close in size to the one in Texarkana.

Can't wait to see it.

----

Mav fans and MISD owe a certain someone a huge THANK YOU for a very generous donation to make this happen.

He scored 4, 4, 3, 5 to start the year last season. We will have a MUCH tougher non district this time around. Most of those numbers were from 2 n half quarters of play. So I say, if games stay close he could still put up the same total. Not to mention hes stronger than last year. If Lee can score early and often he will have more chances, but I would prefer we get up and take some starters out.

Just got a little more information on the video board being installed at Maverick Stadium. It will be a lot bigger than originally told. I had heard we were getting the same as the one at PT's stadium.... but ours will be considerably bigger.

The scoreboard at Pine Tree's stadium is 15.7' by 20.4'

The one the Maverick Boosters are installing will be 21' by 36'.

But still smaller than Carthage's 26' by 44'.

Guessing that's going to put it close in size to the one in Texarkana.

Can't wait to see it.

----

Mav fans and MISD owe a certain someone a huge THANK YOU for a very generous donation to make this happen.

Congrats to the Mavs community on the upgrade. Ours in Carthage actually benefits the kids that learn how to run it. Good experience and awesome during the game watching replays.

Pretty excited about it!

Couple of dates for Mav fans.......

2 -A-days kickoff next Monday at Maverick Stadium

The first annual Maverick Alumni flag football game will be Saturday 8/13 @ 1pm at Maverick Stadium. (I'm assuming EMS will be present LMAO)

8/19 Marshall 9-JV will travel to Carthage in the lone scrimmage of the year (Wish I could make it :( )

Kickoff game will be in Tyler. Like years passed.... I'm assuming a ticket will get you into the games on Thursday as well as the JT game on Saturday.

Not sure what night Meet the Mavs is just yet.

Mav fans....I also added a forum to the Mav page. It's been awhile since we had one. Thought I'd give it a whirl again.

I'll still be posting all the Mav game threads and 16-5A updates here on SDC.

Hope ya'll enjoy the upgrades I've made over the summer.

Lee is the unknown right now. They have 3 returners on Offense, and the D is still to be determined. However, Coach George did bring 4 coaches with him and one of them is the D Coordinator.YEA>>>>>

Lee had its issues last yea on D. no doubt, but I have no doubt... we got out coached in alot of areas.

It could have been alot better.. But thats over now, and moving on.

I have a ton of faith in coach George and his new staff. We have the coaches in place now that I think will be here for a while, and you couldn't find a better guy then he is on and off the field. He is going to get Lee competitive again and back to be dealt with.

However... this is going to be a building process. Our JV was awful last year, and no emphasis has been put in the middle schools.

He understands that and is reaching out to build it from the ground up.

It may take him 3 years to get it there, but I know he can do it.

Lee has had a ton of talent go thru its hallways over the past decade. He will find it... and get kids back in the program.

I know Coach George may not have all the pieces of the puzzle right now, but at least he has a staff that can read an opponent, and put kids in the right positions to make plays. That has been missing.

When his process gets injected and instilled in his kids, he will have the ability and coaches to know what to do with it.

I know his practices in the spring were very fast paced and positive, and the kids have responded well, with comments like " wow, this is daylight and dark from last year under Piski"

He is very structured and organized. This is going to be sweet and sour to watch the next couple of years, but hang on Lee fans were going to get there.

As far as the Marshall contest.... Lee has no history with any of these kids or coaches except AMIE the QB who can throw it and run with it.

Marshall has to be further along than Lee at this point, But again... Lee has no idea what they have at this point or what their coaches are going to do, except run the spread.

George said he put in 1/2 of his offense in the spring, but said he is not even close to where its going. He wants to play the hurry up Offense. Marshall should take this first one, but Lee at least has the ability to line up right, and be competitive.

Im pretty excited again about Lee Football win or loose, because I know we finally have the right guy running the ship, and is setting a new course for this program and its kids.

What kind of Offense will the new coach be running at Lee?

Hurry up spread, with a red zone package that it can run from as well. Coach George is a great offensive mind that there is no telling what all he is going to do from what formation.

Most have worked early in the morning, first in the weightroom & then outside running the bleachers & agility drills. Others who had day jobs would come in later in the day. I've been really impressed with the younger players putting in time.

Just guarantees Marshall will be a strong team for years to come. It sounds like they're ingraining hard work into the culture of the program (not saying it wasn't there before, but sounds like it's going extremely strong now). Will be exciting to see how good they can be.

REL is rebuilding....with a new coach.... and new system....

MHS has a lot of returning starters and seems to be on the way back up. Coach and system are into their 3rd FULL off-season and 4th football season together.

Marshall should win this game IMHO. Not predicting a blowout..... but these are two programs in very different places. I'd compare 2016 REL to 2013 Marshall. Better than the year before.....but still not good yet.

BUT...... there is no ignoring the fact that REL is TWICE the size of MHS. That's undoubtedly an advantage. Plus it's a home game for the Raiders.

The enrollment factor.....plus toss in the fact that MHS has starting a QB not named Justin Hart for the first time since 2011.... and the game gets more interesting.

I still think the Mavs should win..... BUT it's predicated on many factors that make REL look viable in the contest

1. REL playing at home in the season opener

2. REL is twice the size of MHS

3. New starting QB for Marshall

4. No existing film of REL with the new offense or defense

Good luck to the Mavs...... want to open with a win so we can enter the Lobo game with some confidence. Cause no matter what happens in Lufkin or Tyler in week 1..... Longview is coming to Marshall with a vengeance in week 2.

Lee is the unknown right now. They have 3 returners on Offense, and the D is still to be determined. However, Coach George did bring 4 coaches with him and one of them is the D Coordinator.YEA>>>>>

Lee had its issues last yea on D. no doubt, but I have no doubt... we got out coached in alot of areas.

It could have been alot better.. But thats over now, and moving on.

I have a ton of faith in coach George and his new staff. We have the coaches in place now that I think will be here for a while, and you couldn't find a better guy then he is on and off the field. He is going to get Lee competitive again and back to be dealt with.

However... this is going to be a building process. Our JV was awful last year, and no emphasis has been put in the middle schools.

He understands that and is reaching out to build it from the ground up.

It may take him 3 years to get it there, but I know he can do it.

Lee has had a ton of talent go thru its hallways over the past decade. He will find it... and get kids back in the program.

I know Coach George may not have all the pieces of the puzzle right now, but at least he has a staff that can read an opponent, and put kids in the right positions to make plays. That has been missing.

When his process gets injected and instilled in his kids, he will have the ability and coaches to know what to do with it.

I know his practices in the spring were very fast paced and positive, and the kids have responded well, with comments like " wow, this is daylight and dark from last year under Piski"

He is very structured and organized. This is going to be sweet and sour to watch the next couple of years, but hang on Lee fans were going to get there.

As far as the Marshall contest.... Lee has no history with any of these kids or coaches except AMIE the QB who can throw it and run with it.

Marshall has to be further along than Lee at this point, But again... Lee has no idea what they have at this point or what their coaches are going to do, except run the spread.

George said he put in 1/2 of his offense in the spring, but said he is not even close to where its going. He wants to play the hurry up Offense. Marshall should take this first one, but Lee at least has the ability to line up right, and be competitive.

Im pretty excited again about Lee Football win or loose, because I know we finally have the right guy running the ship, and is setting a new course for this program and its kids.

I notice that Lee now has red & white teams at the JV and freshman levels. In prior years they only had one team for each level which I found odd for one of the largest teams in the district. By having two teams at each level it becomes much easier to develop talent. I am betting coach George has also put his finger print on the middle school programs. I have seen a bad team (Horn) built from scratch. He is doing it the right way. Lee fans just have to trust what he is doing. The more you win the more support you will get. That is the way it works.

• Like 1

I notice that Lee now has red & white teams at the JV and freshman levels. In prior years they only had one team for each level which I found odd for one of the largest teams in the district. By having two teams at each level it becomes much easier to develop talent. I am betting coach George has also put his finger print on the middle school programs. I have seen a bad team (Horn) built from scratch. He is doing it the right way. Lee fans just have to trust what he is doing. The more you win the more support you will get. That is the way it works.

True statements all around but it is going to take around 3 years turn Lee around. JT is getting the best kids out the middle schools again this Fall and next. Lee's lower levels God awful all around. George got his work cut out for himself that's for sure.