WEEK 1: Marshall Mavericks (5A) Vs. Tyler Lee Red Raiders (6A)

Mavchamp

Marshall Vs. Tyler Lee  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Who you got?

• Tyler Lee in a close one
    • Marshall in a close one
    • Tyler Lee in a blowout
    • Marshall in a blowout

But JT has the best athletes...

Maybe one or two better. Bryson is the best athlete in the program. Without him JT is a stick in flooding water. BTW, I'm going with Lee. Too much energy building across town. I can feel it over here in the North.

I'm guessing that until QB Herrington gets his sea legs.... Marshall will depend on their running game more than usual in the early goings of the season. With a backfield like we have.... they have the potential to be effective. HOWEVER.... I'm hoping for a more balanced attack.

Lee hasn't been known for playing much defense the last few years.....here's to hoping it continues in Week 1 for us.

Defense for Marshall will be key...... I don't think we can afford to get into a back and fourth type game.

If the Mavs play strong defense..... and the offense plays it safe on the ground until Herrington shows he's ready to take command of the passing game..... I like our chances.

BUT....

If our defense struggles..... and Herrington panics in the pocket with us trying to toss it all over the field..... I think Lee has the advantage.

My questions about Lee are this.....

How much have the schemes on offense and defense changed from last season? Have there been wholesale changes and a total overhaul from what they were doing? Or is it more tweaks and adjustments?

I'm guessing that until QB Herrington gets his sea legs.... Marshall will depend on their running game more than usual in the early goings of the season. With a backfield like we have.... they have the potential to be effective. HOWEVER.... I'm hoping for a more balanced attack.

Lee hasn't been known for playing much defense the last few years.....here's to hoping it continues in Week 1 for us.

Defense for Marshall will be key...... I don't think we can afford to get into a back and fourth type game.

If the Mavs play strong defense..... and the offense plays it safe on the ground until Herrington shows he's ready to take command of the passing game..... I like our chances.

BUT....

If our defense struggles..... and Herrington panics in the pocket with us trying to toss it all over the field..... I think Lee has the advantage.

How much have the schemes on offense and defense changed from last season? Have there been wholesale changes and a total overhaul from what they were doing? Or is it more tweaks and adjustments?

I say he will keep it the same and slowly work his new scheme into the mix.

A game Lobo fans should keep an eye on Week 1 since we play both teams.

Hard to call. On paper, Marshall should win this game. But something tells me Lee wins it in a close one. Something like 38-35.

I had been leaning toward Marshall all summer but the Marshall fans don't seem too happy about their scrimmage. They seem very uncomfortable. On the other hand, it seems as if Lee showed signs of light, but hey, scrimmages don't tell the whole story. I'm going with Lee, but Marshall could win as well.

Not putting too much stock into the scrimmage..... but there were problems noted no doubt. But here is why I'm not ready to push a panic button......

1. Cam Haller took ONE snap in the scrimmage. He will be a major cog to our offense, so him not being on the field Friday totally changed how the offense runs.

2. Carthage is no slouch

3. There was no live portion of football because weather shut it down after the controlled portion.

4. The first team offense/defense was only 2-0. The other scores were on the 2nd team.

5. IT WAS JUST A SCRIMMAGE. Thankfully.

BUT....

Lee will be doing alot of things different under a new staff... I noticed their running the 3-4 on D which kind of concerns me against a strong back and a good running game. They may have to bring up a LB to a 4-3 if needed.

Offense will be all new looks and kids except the QB Amie, who has been incredible in Spring and summer ball.

Im so ready as everyone... to go watch their team and see whats going on myself.

Its still Friday night football... where coaches can fix whatever problems arise IF you have the Jimmys and Joes to do so.

Lee is going to play fast, ... if their in the shape it takes to play that way.. they can can get an edge.

Lee will have to pull out all stops every week to compete this year, but my sources tell me, this team could be pretty good.

Marshall will be a big test for a young Lee squad.. Should be a good one.

That would be great if it does. I have seen 3 different forecast Good thing these weather guys don't get paid on their win loss record like coaches do. Lee and Marshall would like to open up the play book and see who has what. Hope its gone by kickoff.

No matter the weather..... I'm expecting Marshall to rely more on the legs of their running backs Friday night.

I'd like to see us mix it up..... but until Herrington can prove himself a worthy field general..... I think we play to our known strength. Esp with Haller on the field.

I'm uneasy with Herrington trying to toss it all over the field until he has his sea legs under him so to speak. I think he's going to be fine long term.... but I think a win is more important than him working out his wrinkles in a season opening game.

JMHO

No matter the weather..... I'm expecting Marshall to rely more on the legs of their running backs Friday night.

I'd like to see us mix it up..... but until Herrington can prove himself a worthy field general..... I think we play to our known strength. Esp with Haller on the field.

I'm uneasy with Herrington trying to toss it all over the field until he has his sea legs under him so to speak. I think he's going to be fine long term.... but I think a win is more important than him working out his wrinkles in a season opening game.

JMHO

He would get better by throwing the ball.

I agree....but not at the risk of losing the opener IMHO.

There are other games in a few weeks we can spread it out and let him get his reps.

But I'm not a coach. That's JMHO.

I agree....but not at the risk of losing the opener IMHO.

Eh. Non-district is the time to test things and get in a groove going into district.

Obviously if it's close late in the game, stick to your guns. Because in the first half especially I say go for it. Losing to Lee isn't going to wreck Marshall's season.

Installation is almost complete..... will be up and running in time for the Longview game next week.

Will have 2 mounted cams and 1 mobile crowd cam

Big thanks goes to an anonymous Booster member that donated the $ to pay for it. Bigger thanks to the local business that are stepping up for ads.... $ for the booster club, which will in turn be spending that money on the athletes.

Love this program, this community, and the people in it.

14102284_1135954113109500_53560578524343

LMAO. Almost. Haven't seen the one at Abe. Haven't been to Abe in years....was a playoff game LP lost. Can't remember Vs. who.

But I've seen the one in Carthage...... that's just unreal.

I can't wait to see it in action.