Longview Lobos vs Lufkin Panthers  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Lufkin in a close one
    • Lufkin in a blowout

Posted ImagePosted Image

LONGVIEW LOBOS (0-0, 0-0) AT LUFKIN PANTHERS (0-0, 0-0)

DATE: Friday, August 26th, 2016
TIME: 7:30 PM
LOCATION: John Outlaw Memorial Field at Abe Martin Stadium in Lufkin, Texas
LONGVIEW BROADCAST: Sunny 106.5 FM KOOI
LUFKIN BROADCAST: KICKS 105

Posted ImageLOBOS LEAD SERIES 38-36-4 Posted Image
The Lobos have a 8-7-2 lead when the game is a non-district contest.
The two schools are tied at 25-25-2 when the game is a district contest.
The Lobos have a 5-4 lead when the game is a playoff contest.
The two schools are tied at 2-2 when the game is played at a neutral location.
The Lobos have a 18-15-3 lead when the game is played at Longview.
The Panthers have a 19-18-1 lead when the game is played at Lufkin.
Longview has won the last 3 meetings against the Panthers.
Longview is 10-13-0 all-time against Lufkin at Abe Martin Stadium, with the Panthers winning the last meeting there.
The two schools have never played on August 26th before.

LAST FIVE GAMES IN SERIES
11.13.2015 - Longview 31, Lufkin 10 - Trinity Mother Frances Rose Stadium
08.28.2015 - Longview 21, Lufkin 20 - Lobo Stadium
11.14.2014 - Longview 43, Lufkin 42 - Trinity Mother Frances Rose Stadium
08.29.2014 - Lufkin 44, Longview 14 - Abe Martin Stadium
09.20.2013 - Longview 55, Lufkin 30 - Lobo Stadium
FULL GAME LOG

GAME PREVIEW & SERIES REVIEW
And so another season begins. The 107th season of Longview football begins with the first of Class 6A football for the Lobo program. Returning to the top classification, after just two years in the second highest classification in Texas football, the Lobos face off against a very, very familiar team. Longview and Lufkin headline the opening weekend of the return of Texas High School football with their 79th meeting against one another, and their FIFTH in just three seasons. Since the start of the 2002 football season (just 14 years ago), when the two teams were drawn into a round robin district schedule along with Tyler Lee and John Tyler, the Lobos and Panthers have met a staggering 19 times (including four playoff meetings). Recently, the Lobos have gotten the best of the Pack recording a 6-1 record against Lufkin in the past 7 meetings. Since ending the streak in the second meeting of their 2007 season, the Lobos have recorded an 8-3 record against the Panthers. The past two seasons have seen the two schools open against one another, and face off against one another in the first round of the post season. That possibility remains after the UIL realignment placed Longview in 11-6A and Lufkin 12-6A. With the height of the rivalry, has come some unforgettable games. Most recently, Longview’s 43-42 playoff victory in 2014 in which the Lobos overcame a 28 point deficit to knock the Panthers out of the post season. The following meeting, the 2015 season opener, saw just as close of a contest with Lufkin scoring late looking to tie the game only to have a block PAT be the difference in a 21-20 victory for Longview. The last meeting between the two schools marked the 9th postseason meeting between them. With the dominating 2nd half, the Lobos walked away with the 31-10 win and their 5th playoff win over the Panthers. This season, however, the Lobos head down to Lufkin to a place that has not been kind to them over the years. Longview has lost 9 of their last 10 games at Abe Martin Stadium, with their lone win coming in 2012 with a 45-14 victory. Lufkin comes into the 2016 season with a much different outlook as opposed to Longview, who is fresh off a visit to the State Quarterfinals and has gone at least three rounds deep in 8 of the last 9 seasons. The Panthers, 7-4 on the season in 2015, saw a loss in the first round for the first consecutive season. The Panthers also failed to reach the third round of the postseason for the 9th time in their past 10 seasons. That includes 7 losses in bi-district play. The only time the Pack have reached the 3rd round in the past decade came in 2012 when the Panthers saw a valiant comeback effort come up short in a 55-52 playoff loss to Plano West. The goal for Lufkin this season will be to finally punched through the bubble on their lack of success come playoff time. One thing is to be known for sure, when the Lobos and Panthers get together, something magically is set to happen. A rivalry started in 1932, continues 84 years later.

WEEK ONE 11-6A SCHEDULE:
Longview at Lufkin (Abe Martin Stadium)
John Tyler vs Plano West (Trinity Mother Frances Rose Stadium) {Saturday}
Mesquite vs Lake Highlands (E.H. Hanby Stadium)
Mesquite Horn vs McKinney Boyd (E.H. Hanby Stadium) {Thursday}
North Mesquite vs Arlington Sam Houston (Mesquite Memorial Stadium)
Rockwall at Highland Park (Highlander Stadium)
Rockwall Heath vs Wylie East (Wilkerson-Sanders Memorial Stadium)
Tyler Lee vs Marshall (Trinity Mother Frances Rose Stadium)

DISTRICT 11-6A STANDINGS
1st. John Tyler (0-0, 0-0)
2nd. Longview (0-0, 0-0)
3rd. Mesquite (0-0, 0-0)
4th. Mesquite Horn (0-0, 0-0)
5th. North Mesquite (0-0, 0-0)
6th. Rockwall (0-0, 0-0)
7th. Rockwall Heath (0-0, 0-0)
8th. Tyler Lee (0-0, 0-0)

LONGVIEW LOBOS
Record: 0-0 (0-0)
District: 11-6A
Coach: John King (131-31 in 12 seasons) (Playoffs: 31-12)
First Year of Football: 1909
All-Time Record: 686-337-52 (Playoffs: 59-39-1)
Playoff Appearances: 41
Last Playoff Appearance: 2015, 5A Division I State Quarterfinal
State Championships: 1937 (1A)
State Championship Appearances: 1937 (1A), 1997 (5A D1), 2008 (4A D1), 2009 (4A D1)
SCHEDULE:
08.26 - at Lufkin
09.02 - at Marshall
09.09 - vs South Oak Cliff
09.16 - vs Mesquite Horn
09.23 - at Tyler Lee
09.30 - vs Rockwall
10.14 - at North Mesquite
10.21 - vs John Tyler
10.28 - at Rockwall Heath
11.04 - vs Mesquite

LUFKIN PANTHERS
Record: 0-0 (0-0)
District: 12-6A
Coach: Todd Quick (27-19 in 4 seasons) (Playoffs: 2-4)
First Year of Football: 1911
All-Time Record: 665-336-37 (Playoffs: 43-35-0)
Playoff Appearances: 37
Last Playoff Appearance: 2015, 5A Division I Bi-District Round
State Championships: 2001 (5A D2)
State Championship Appearances: 1943 (1A), 2001 (5A D2)
SCHEDULE:
08.28 - vs Longview
09.02 - at Nacogdoches
09.10 - Bossier Parkway (in Shreveport)
09.16 - vs Monterrey Prepa Tech
09.23 - vs Woodlands College Park
09.30 - at Woodlands
10.14 - vs Beaumont West Brook
10.21 - at Conroe Oak Rige
10.28 - vs Conroe
11.04 - at Montgomery

ON THIS DATE IN LOBO HISTORY: August 26th
In 2005, Longview rolled up 347 yards of offense while holding Marshall to just 146 as the Lobos cruised to a 28-16 victory at Maverick Stadium in Marshall. Chris Ivory registered two touchdowns, while Carlin Freeman and Vondrell McGee each tallied once.
In 2011, despite being held to just 10 points in the first half, the Lobos rolled in the second half as Longview knocked off the Mavs 30-0 at LoboStadium. Deontre Wilson scored two touchdowns in the second half as the Lobos won their 11th straight over Marshall.

Posted Image

Anybody see that small only spec of purple in the "last five meetings" lol

I bet it was hard on 07 when he was making the Game threads for the 06 and to start the 07 season. Not any green during those times..😌. I miss those days
  • Like 1

I bet it was hard on 07 when he was making the Game threads for the 06 and to start the 07 season. Not any green during those times..😌. I miss those days

I bet it's been hard since then for y'all, with just what four playoff wins in that decade?

😂😊

Same! I'm ready for this season and the scrimmage. I can't say much about this game. Other than of course...Lobos by 100!! Lol. Kidding aside, I think this will be another close game if our offense can play up to their potential. A lot of talent returning on that side.

I think this will be another close game if our offense can play up to their potential. A lot of talent returning on that side.

Wouldn't expect anything other than that, especially this early on.

I'm interested to see the crowd at Abe though for sure, with how much y'all have talked about how little interest there has been in the team thus far.

Wouldn't expect anything other than that, especially this early on.

I'm interested to see the crowd at Abe though for sure, with how much y'all have talked about how little interest there has been in the team thus far.

Definitely won't be a sellout imo. I'm guessing the home side will be about 80-85% full though. The visitor side(Pack fans) should be packed, because it's the first game and Longview. I didn't expect the crowd that made the trip to Lobo stadium last season. So, who knows. I think later on during the season in district is when we'll start to see Abe having very small crowds like we saw against Corsi and JT last season. Those road games, especially in Montgomery might have just a few hundred there if that. Just isn't much interest or enthusiasm for Pack football this season. They were supposed to be a serious playoff contender and make a run in 2014 with Keke and the team that we had coming back that season, obviously didn't happen after blowing a huge lead. We had a talented, but young squad last season that couldn't get it done against JT at home and then again in the playoffs. You just mentioned the playoff failures. Most that I talk to about the team are expecting the same with possibly having to play y'all, JT or Horn early in the playoffs. I wasn't looking forward to this season because we're back in 6A, but I miss football and going to games. I'm just hopeful things can improve.

I NEVER predict a blow out when it is my Lobos and LP! Especially when it is the first game of the season. I do predict that both sides with come out trying to prove a point, for different reasons, though. I am just excited to get this started! I hope to see alot of Green in those stands!

I almost forgot.......

GO LOBOS!

Definitely won't be a sellout imo. I'm guessing the home side will be about 80-85% full though. The visitor side(Pack fans) should be packed, because it's the first game and Longview. I didn't expect the crowd that made the trip to Lobo stadium last season. So, who knows. I think later on during the season in district is when we'll start to see Abe having very small crowds like we saw against Corsi and JT last season. Those road games, especially in Montgomery might have just a few hundred there if that. Just isn't much interest or enthusiasm for Pack football this season. They were supposed to be a serious playoff contender and make a run in 2014 with Keke and the team that we had coming back that season, obviously didn't happen after blowing a huge lead. We had a talented, but young squad last season that couldn't get it done against JT at home and then again in the playoffs. You just mentioned the playoff failures. Most that I talk to about the team are expecting the same with possibly having to play y'all, JT or Horn early in the playoffs. I wasn't looking forward to this season because we're back in 6A, but I miss football and going to games. I'm just hopeful things can improve.

who is coming back this year for lufkin ??

who is coming back this year for lufkin ??

We bring back our starting Qb Kordell, running back Khalil Brown that didn't really start but shared time with Jackson last season and three starting receivers(Malik, Javante and Phillips) with a new sophomore receiver that looks about 6'3 or 6'4 and Davis. I think we have three lineman returning that saw playing time too( Bell, Hadnot and Hollis). The defense is what I'm worried about, we lost the whole d-line and most of all, Massie. We bring back Olvera, Phillips and Grisby at the linebacker positions though and of course Savon Fields, Johnson. Deason and Davis in the secondary. So, a good group of players. We'll definitely be talented on the offensive side again. Not sure of the name, but I think the running game will be good with Smith and this new kid, if our o-line can play well. So, I'm guessing(If these are the starters)...

Offense - 8 players that either started or got playing time

Defense - 7

Guest Delete1

We bring back our starting Qb Kordell, running back Dalvin Smith that didn't really start but shared time with Jackson last season and three starting receivers(Malik, Javante and Phillips) with a new sophomore receiver that looks about 6'3 or 6'4. I think we have three lineman returning that saw playing time too( Bell, Arthur and Hadnot). The defense is what I'm worried about, we lost the whole d-line and most of all, Massie. We bring back Olvera, Phillips and Grisby at the linebacker positions though and of course Savon Fields, Johnson. Deason and Davis in the secondary. So, a good group of players. We'll definitely be talented on the offensive side again. Not sure of the name, but I think the running game will be good with Smith and this new kid, if our o-line can play well. So, I'm guessing(If these are the starters)...

Offense - 8 players that either started or got playing time

Defense - 7

That sounds like a good number of kids returning! You would think that yall would build on last season and the fans would be excited. But you did mention the move to 6A. Do you think that is the reason there isnt as much excitement?

That sounds like a good number of kids returning! You would think that yall would build on last season and the fans would be excited. But you did mention the move to 6A. Do you think that is the reason there isnt as much excitement?

Yea, going back up to the highest classification and also the lack of playoff success over the last ten years imo. We were bringing back about 17 or 18 starters in 2014, but that season didn't end well. So it's hard to get excited when we've seen that bringing back a lot of experience and talent from the previous season, didn't really equal much success on the field the next season when many were seniors. I think people just want to see the type of success that we had from 98-05 return.

Guest Delete1

Yea, going back up to the highest classification and also the lack of playoff success over the last ten years imo. We were bringing back about 17 or 18 starters in 2014, but that season didn't end well. So it's hard to get excited when the experience from the previous season, may not equal much success on the field the next season. I think people just want to see the type of success that we had from 98-05 return.

How did yalls JV do last year. Also what is yalls playoff record for the past 10 seasons?

How did yalls JV do last year. Also what is yalls playoff record for the past 10 seasons?

I think they were 7-3 last season(I know we lost to Lv, JT and I think Lv again), but we had several juniors and sophomores on varsity. 4-10 I think

I think they were 7-3 last season(I know we lost to Lv, JT and I think Lv again), but we had several juniors and sophomores on varsity. 4-10 I think

Correct. 26-19 at Abe (was 26-0 before Lp came back to make it a game late) and 34-14 at Lobo (almost positive it was 34-0 at one point).

Correct. 26-19 at Abe (was 26-0 before Lp came back to make it a game late) and 34-14 at Lobo (almost positive it was 34-0 at one point).

The Lobos fish and JV struggled against us a few years ago and lost those games, but we got blown out in I think every single game on the lower levels last year. Just completely dominated. I figured that after watching both in the scrimmages. All we had were running backs that were playing well at the time and not much size on either side. The Qbs for each team struggled against Conroe and Hville, so I knew it would be the same against a faster Lv squad

The Lobos fish and JV struggled against us a few years ago and lost those games, but we got blown out in I think every single game on the lower levels last year. Just completely dominated. I figured that after watching both in the scrimmages. All we had were running backs that were playing well at the time and not much size on either side. The Qbs for each team struggled against Conroe and Hville, so I knew it would be the same against a faster Lv squad

JV hasn't lost since 2012 (19-13), Fish the year they lost to Lp (2013) was just embarrassing. 3-6, with a loss to bloody Gilmer. Believe all coaches were removed almost immediately after that season ending.

But yea, this past season the Fish games were a whole lot worse than the JV games....but then again, you were the only team to score more than 16 on our Fish last year.

JV hasn't lost since 2012 (19-13), Fish the year they lost to Lp (2013) was just embarrassing. 3-6, with a loss to bloody Gilmer. Believe all coaches were removed almost immediately after that season ending.

But yea, this past season the Fish games were a whole lot worse than the JV games....but then again, you were the only team to score more than 16 on our Fish last year.

I don't think they counted it, because it was basically a scrimmage considering it was raining, but JV won 28-7 that day. I'll give you that one though lol. Our fish beat the Lobos though 40-12 or 40-14 when Kordell was playing in 2014. Not sure if we played a second game or not, but I think y'all won it when Kordell moved up. I think that game was in Longview too. I remember posting it in our game thread that season

I don't think they counted it, because it was basically a scrimmage considering it was raining, but JV won 28-7 that day. I'll give you that one though lol. Our fish beat the Lobos though 40-12 or 40-14 when Kordell was playing in 2014. Not sure if we played a second game or not, but I think y'all won it when Kordell moved up. I think that game was in Longview too. I remember posting it in our game thread that season

Ah I totally overlooked the 2014 game. But it was 22-6 in Lufkin (Longview win) and 19-6 in Longview (Lufkin win).

40-12 was the 2013 game.

http://longviewlobos.bravehost.com/years/freshmen/history.html