"Blue Lives Matter" law goes into effect Monday, August 1,2016

CarthDawg77

SHREVEPORT, LA (KSLA) - Louisiana's so-called "Blue Lives Matter" law goes into effect on Monday, August 1. It's the first of its kind in the country, making it a hate crime to intentionally attack a police officer or first responder just because of their uniform.

It's now been two weeks since the deadly apparent ambush of law officers in Baton Rouge. In all, 3 officers were killed and three others injured before officers killed the reported gunman in a gun battle.

After Monday, any crime targeting police or other first responders in Louisiana will be deemed a hate crime.

During the final push for the legislation this spring, State Police Superintendent Col. Mike Edmonson spoke in favor of the bill.

"Our job is in a tumultuous time right now because you've got individuals out there that don't mind hurting somebody."

Violators will see increased jail time and penalties for targeting police officers, firefighters and members of EMS.

But not everyone is supportive of the law. Some see it as a simple knee-jerk reaction to the Black Lives Matter movement.

That includes Louisiana NAACP President Ernest Johnson, who opposed the bill.

"Laws like this to me tend to divide because now you're going to separate, where you've got 'Black Lives Matter' and 'Blue Lives Matter,' and you got this contest going on and it's just not helpful," said Johnson.

But Lloyd Thompson, the president of the Shreveport chapter of the NAACP, said he supports the new law and hopes it doesn't end there.

"I've said all along that it should be all life matters, regardless."

Some Shreveport-Bossier residents say each situation should be judged independently.

"I think it should be judged on a case to case basis regardless," said Bossier City resident Trey Cockrell.

Shreveport resident Brent Vaughn added, "I actually think that would be really good for, you know, our local community."

While Louisiana is the first state to make attacking emergency responders a hate crime, there are now similar efforts underway in several other states and on the federal level.

Copyright 2016 KSLA All rights

But not everyone is supportive of the law. Some see it as a simple knee-jerk reaction to the Black Lives Matter movement.

That includes Louisiana NAACP President Ernest Johnson, who opposed the bill.

"Laws like this to me tend to divide because now you're going to separate, where you've got 'Black Lives Matter' and 'Blue Lives Matter,' and you got this contest going on and it's just not helpful," said Johnson.

This is complete Hypocrisy from the NAACP, who LOVES "separation " between Blacks & EVERYONE ELSE; To them, only Black Lives Matter.......

• Like 1

I've never been a fan of "hate crimes" laws. To me, it doesn't matter WHY someone killed someone else. They should be punished severely for it, regardless of their reason for doing so. If a white guy kills a black man, does it matter if he did it because he hates blacks, or if he did it to take the $25 out of his pocket? Is he any more or less dead? Is his family going to miss him any more or less? Furthermore, if he does it, can he cover up his hatred by then taking the $25, even though he doesn't need it? Murder is murder, and racism in this country isn't going to die as long as laws are being created to keep it alive. If you intentionally take another life, you should have to pay for it with your life, no questions asked. The fact that we've gotten away from that system of justice is a large part of the problem in this country. Making it a "hate crime" to target cops isn't going to stop people like the Dallas and BR shooters. They were ready to die anyway. Are we to believe they cared that they were committing a federal hate crime in addition to multiple counts of murder?

No need for enhancement in Texas. Kill a police officer here it's capital murder and it's death or life in conviction. Plain enough.

No need for enhancement in Texas. Kill a police officer here it's capital murder and it's death or life in conviction. Plain enough.

That's what I'm thinking, but they plan on making a similar law. A Galveston County judge has already said that he won't accept any plea deals in cases where an officer was attacked or threatened. http://www.texasmonthly.com/the-daily-post/galveston-county-judge-says-wont-consider-plea-bargains-threaten-endanger-police-officers/

If you have conclude that BLM is partially responsible for the 8 officers deaths. is it safe to say the acquittal of officers killing unarmed citizens is also partially responsible for those deaths? BLM is a direct result of the acquittals. Bubba!

As you seem to a clear focus around everything white being right!

Black can also claim the highest number executed , where is Hannity and O'Riley.. Oh, that's right they don't anything but keep people riled up while they make their millions.

Were the Baltimore juries all white? I'm asking you, because I figure you are the most likely to know out of the people here. No one else seems to care about skin color.

Were the Baltimore juries all white? I'm asking you, because I figure you are the most likely to know out of the people here. No one else seems to care about skin color.

Three officers acquitted by Circuit Judge Barry Williams.........

13938549_1123547757733414_79896365032521