Mr. P

Pre-District

I haven't had a chance to watch Overton practice, so someone else may want to weigh in on that. I can say they're got a rough road ahead of them. A season opener against a big school 2A in Union Grove. Thankfully we've got Simms-Bowie after that, who's a better match-up for Overton, and is their first realistic shot at a win. But then it's another likely drubbing by Carlisle. The next two non-district games are a toss up. Both teams (Como-Pickton and Colmesneil) are comparable in size and recent success. If the Mustangs can manage to win both, it could help build some momentum heading into league play.

District

Everyone knows that Tenaha is gonna roll right through the district, so the only real questions are who finishes second, who makes the playoffs, and who's airing up basketballs come Nov. 5th? Grapeland and Timpson are two teams I think are going to give Tenaha a game (at least early on). The Sandies had a pretty good offense last year and the Bears had a decent defense. If both teams can fix the other side of the ball, things might get interesting. Wortham brings back most of last year's team... of course, that's a team that went 3-7. But experience certainly counts, especially in small-school ball. I expect them to battle it out with Overton for the dubious honor of fourth playoff spot. Mount Enterprise (as always) starts out behind the eight ball. Mount's got the numbers of a six-man school, so they deserve recognition for having enough cojones to stick to 11-man ball. Holzhauer's a heckuva coach, so they'll score some points and scare some folks here and there. But depth is gonna kill 'em down the stretch, and they'll be outside looking in come playoff time.

My fearless prediction:

Tenaha 10-0 (5-0)

Timpson 7-3 (4-1)

Grapeland 6-4 (3-2)

Overton 5-5 (2-3)

Wortham 5-5 (2-3)

Mount Enterprise 4-6 (2-3)

Bobo Hobos 2-8 (1-4)

Blair Flairs 1-9 (0-5)

Grapeland will finish in the top 2 in district. This is the best they have ever looked running 60 to 80 offensive plays per practice. Just flying around getting on the ball and going. They have the offense down and QB is set unlike last year. The sophomore going to let it fly. If they give him time he can make throws that most 2A Qbs can't make. 2A D2 DB will have trouble with him, and our wide receivers. Our oline is stronger then they have ever been. Three of them have a chance to make it to state in powerlifting this coming year, and winning it. I believe two of them got there last year after a great year of working hard in the weight room.

Now defense we have gotten older, and lot stronger. So hopefully that will help.

Ready to see what they do against Brook hill tonight.

Who do all you guys scrimmage this week???

Overton travels to Alto... won't be much of a workout for the Yellajackets, but a good early test for this young bunch of Mustangs. Should show them plenty of things they've got to improve.

• Like 1

Grapeland 2TD Brook Hill 0.

Defense looked way better then last year. I was very impressed. We played without our middle linebacker, that lead the team in tackles last year, and our starting cornerback.

Offense had to many dropped passes. Oline allowed our running backs to get 5+ yards a carry everytime. The weight room has payed off for our oline. Played without our starting running back, and one of our go to wide receiver.

• Like 1

I don't think Grapeland upsets anyone. They finish 3rd in this district after all the hype of how young they were last year and dropping to D2. Not a hater, just a realist.1. Tenaha2. Timpson3. Grapeland.

People Tenaha is this big bad monster...thing is that they don't play anyone until late round of the playoffs. Now they have some fight in district!

Hey Homie, just watch that silver spoon get knocked out of your mouth! Cant wait till your so called superintendent pokes his head out...

Silver spoon....? Our kids are just like y'alls. Most come up from off the bottom and I honestly know you know for yourself what's that's like. We are proud and continue to be. Our kids have never been handed anything, and most of them never will. To live and grow up and make it out of towns like Tenaha and SA when you start with nothing....but hey we have a silver spoon.....can we sell it for groceries? Tenaha got 4 300 pounders I'm sure they eating coach Horn out of house and home.

I just watched the Tenaha/Shelbville/Maud scrimmage. I believe Tenaha has a special season ahead. They have lots of athletes and a lot of size. I don't think any of the three teams were trying to "win" a scrimmage but I was impressed with how Tenaha looked already.

I just watched the Tenaha/Shelbville/Maud scrimmage. I believe Tenaha has a special season ahead. They have lots of athletes and a lot of size. I don't think any of the three teams were trying to "win" a scrimmage but I was impressed with how Tenaha looked already.

Maud should win district