Week Two: Longview at Marshall

LoboFan07

Longview @ Marshall  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Pick it.....

I also didn't think lufkin looked good for a team with lots bsck so...

First game and new lineman will do that. I'll take scoring 35 and not looking good doing it. When they start to fire on all cylinders assuming we keep Kordell healthy along the way. We can be a tough out.

Realistic is you guys lost a ton of talent and a new QB takes time. Lufkin returned more talent but had to replace the lines on both sides. So we both have gelling to do but you act like you guys lost to a bad team.

Just a lack of respect from that side, probably because of 2014. I'll never understand the point of tearing us down, when complaining about their own team though. For some reason the shots go from the lobo players didn't play well to "Lufkin isn't that good" and "they will be middle of pack in our district". I just don't get it. Yea, we struggled at times last night, but who said that we were going to come out like world beaters?? It's the first game of the season and against a rival. Those mistakes should be expected, especially against a good team. I still think Lufkin has the potential be very good in November, especially if we can bring back Brown and keep the remaining guys healthy. The defensive line and tackling will more than likely improve. I think the O-line will too. They played much better in the second half. I'm looking forward to seeing what Kordell and this Pack team can do.

Marshall has a good team, their not out of anything. They have some guys from last year that will rally the team.

The biggest improvements most teams make is from week 1 to week 2.

I wouldn't think they can win in LV, but I think they will work out some kinks and keep in close.

I hope you are right sir. But you saw something I didn't see last night. I'm worried.

HONESTLY.... I expected our offense to struggle. I really did. You don't replace a 4 year QB seamlessly. But OMG..... outside of short routes, our QB was no where NEAR completing a pass downfield. Our offense isn't written to be one-sided. And it was last night. Once it was apparent we had ZERO passing game, then Lee was able to key in on our running game. At that point it was game over for us.

But we have 8 on defense back...... 8 that played 13 games last season. They looked horrific and this was suppose to be the strength of our team while our offense was sorting out. It was ugly. Too much talent out there to look as bad as we looked.

Then I look at Longview........ the Lobos are a MUCH better team than REL.... yeah... that's concerning.

If we couldn't stop QB Amie and and Wickware (a Sophomore no less)...... then I fear the stable of running backs Longview will have will turn it into a track meet.

Lee could have had even more.... but turnovers ended two long drives for them.... and they sat on the ball deep in Marshall territory to end the game (BTW....thanks).

Longview is RB-U...... we made REL look like RB-U Grad school. Disheartening. I'm HOPING Lee is better than what most of us believed coming into the season, but I don't think so. I think Marshall made them look better than they really are. And that's painful to admit. Prove me wrong REL. I hope you do.

Lee isn't known for defense.... hasn't for YEARS. Yet we had less than 90 yards TOTAL. And Longview's defense is better than Lee's.

And one has to wonder.... how long will the Mav staff allow the offense to sputter.... before they consider moving Cam back to QB. Granted our offense was lesser last year when he had to move to QB.... but we at least WON with him at QB. He was 4-2 at QB. I honestly don't want to give up on Herrington..... but wowzers. 5-16 for 34 yards is painful.

Looks like Monroe Ouachita and Corsicana games will be the ones we will be looking to work the wrinkles out for district. And neither of those will be easy. Yikes.

Disappointing game. And now it feels like we are walking into a buzzsaw.

Even if we start 0-2.... I'm not going to panic. I'll save that based on what happens the following 2 weeks before Texarkana comes to town.

Looking at other 16-5A scores ( district went 2-7 on the night)...... this could be UGLY.

Texas High was the only team that looked good, beating a solid Lynch team.

SS beat a bad Sherman team by 1.... but still allowed over 40 points

MP lost to a bad N. Forney team

Greenville lost to a bad N. Garland team

Hallsville lost to a bad WH team

PT lost to a bad Jax team.....

Basketball season might start early for East Texas this year......

Dont even want to think about it. 42-14 and thats being a homer. Smh.

The radio guy kept talking about "seeing some great things" at halftime. But listening to the broadcast, all I could think about was "What? Special Teams?" We do seem to have a very solid DB who made a sack and some pretty good plays WHEN Lee had to throw the ball.

Just a lack of respect from that side, probably because of 2014. I'll never understand the point of tearing us down, when complaining about their own team though. For some reason the shots go from the lobo players didn't play well to "Lufkin isn't that good" and "they will be middle of pack in our district". I just don't get it. Yea, we struggled at times last night, but who said that we were going to come out like world beaters?? It's the first game of the season and against a rival. Those mistakes should be expected, especially against a good team. I still think Lufkin has the potential be very good in November, especially if we can bring back Brown and keep the remaining guys healthy. The defensive line and tackling will more than likely improve. I think the O-line will too. They played much better in the second half. I'm looking forward to seeing what Kordell and this Pack team can do.

People tend to forget that it is 1 great program playing another great program. One should expect both teams to struggle at teams when they are playing equal caliber teams with the coaching staff both of these teams bring each year.

• Like 1

Cam had nowhere near enough touches last night IMO we underestimated Lee From the Coaches down to the players the coaches came out trying new things etc treating it like a glorified scrimmage when in reality Lee had marked the game on its calendar as a opening statement to show Etx they're on the upswing and they jumped out and punched us square in the face all night seemed like kids had been reading all the hype all off-season and thought Lee was an afterthought obviously they had a rude awakening... I believe we'll see big time improvement this coming week not guaranteeing a win or a barn burner etc but we should see a much better product moving forward

I don't think either school, Longview or Marshall, need to panic yet. The problem with success is easy teams in preseason no longer schedule you. Marshall got beat up front and will have to address that. Cam doesn't neet more carries and take the possibility of gettin hurt in games that don't count. Give the QB a chance to get his feet on the ground. Harper will find the right combo before district. King and Longview will be ok also. Good coaches find ways to win when it counts and it don't count til district.

• Like 1

When they start to fire on all cylinders assuming we keep Kordell healthy along the way. We can be a tough out.

Keeping Kordell healthy will definitely be the key. If the LP oline will give him better protection, he is going to be a force to be reckoned with, for sure!

I don't think either school, Longview or Marshall, need to panic yet. The problem with success is easy teams in preseason no longer schedule you. Marshall got beat up front and will have to address that. Cam doesn't neet more carries and take the possibility of gettin hurt in games that don't count. Give the QB a chance to get his feet on the ground. Harper will find the right combo before district. King and Longview will be ok also. Good coaches find ways to win when it counts and it don't count til district.

You said something Key going into this Longview game. "Got beat up front." If there is anything Longview has ever been good at, and its beating us up front when it comes to the run game. I think something like 70% of Tyler Lee's plays went straight through the center 3 lineman for them... I would not expect anything different from Longview... However, none of us expected Longview to try and go all Air Raid on us last season either :D

However, none of us expected Longview to try and go all Air Raid on us last season either :D

Just unreal coaching and play calling last year. District game, in a rivalry game, and we stop doing the one thing they couldn't stop.

It happened on Friday against Lufkin too. They couldn't stop us running at all...and of course...pass play is called and Wiley in turn gets swarmed in the backfield and doesn't throw it away and it's get sacked and ends the potential tying touchdown drive.

Along with wasting two timeouts of course.

I have no doubt that King and company are the best coaching staff we've ever had...but some of the decisions just make no sense to me...and ultimately end up costing us games (and it's been that way ever since they got here).

I likes Kings style though. He takes his big guys and plays smash mouth and slips the TE down the middle of the field when you pull up the safety to stop the bleeding. He is no doubt the most decorated with results coach in ET.

Won't change either.... Throwing bombs isn't working on a passing game.... Just gets team out of what they do best.... It would be like the patriots running the ball and not letting tom brady do his thing.... Really costs games.... And King does it in playoffs too in key moments .... Example Lake ridge at end of game.... Enough said