Best team you've ever seen?

Lambo

We can put this to rest. 83 Daingerfield Tigers. 565 offensive plays ran against the defense in 16 games for a grand total of 565 feet not yards but feet. That is 12 inches every time the ball was snapped against that defense. It will never be matched again.

The thread is titled "Best Team You've SEEN". Some of us didn't see the '83 Daingerfield team. The "Best Team Ever" thread has been done and redone. I have no doubt Daingerfield belongs in that conversation. But some people can't say that team is the best they've seen, because they never saw it.
  • Like 1

The thread is titled "Best Team You've SEEN". Some of us didn't see the '83 Daingerfield team. The "Best Team Ever" thread has been done and redone. I have no doubt Daingerfield belongs in that conversation. But some people can't say that team is the best they've seen, because they never saw it.

Yeah, I was hoping someone would clarify this at some point. I've certainly heard of plenty of amazing teams... but have only seen a few.

But my contribution would be the 1989 Overton 8th grade Ponies. Their hard-fought 7-0 win over Arp was preserved with a clutch last-second defensive stop by yours truly.

• Like 1

Best HS team I ever saw in person was 2008 Carthage. They were not the best all season, but the last 5-6 games they were unbelievable. That is the team that started it all. The 2010 and 2013 Dawgs were good too, but that 2008 team had it all. Put that same team at Carthage now, and they got 7-8 D1 players on the field at the 3a (new 4a) level. Of course nobody knew who Carthage was then, so the recruitment was minimal.

• Like 2

I saw Daingerfield twice in 83, absolutely the best defense I've ever seen period. Best offense I've ever seen with my own eyes was smu with Dickerson and James in the backfield, but the qb was the key to that offense, dude could run the heck out of that veer..

Lance McIlhenny-Highland Park product. He was a bad dude.

Lance McIlhenny-Highland Park product. He was a bad dude.

Yes sir, dude literally forced the defensive end to commit on the play, it was like he would jump in d ends arms and then pitch and Dickerson was gone,, that's if he hadn't snuck it into Craig James on the way to attack the end. Never seen a qb force a defense's hand since. Was amazed at his courage and determination.

For me it would be, JT 94' team, espy award winner. 2001 Lufkin, 2015 George Ranch that RB was killing! 5tds , 2015 Katy that defense was a monster! , 2012 JT, with Heisman candidate Greg Ward Jr. along with a wide receiving core that had three D1 commits that featured last years 1st team all sec receiver Fred Ross, great team that was less than a minute away from state..

Yoe88....was thinking the same thing...to my students..."THEY" say I'm so old I saw the New Jersey vs Rutgers game in 1869.....to MY kids...it was the "22" Waco Team....to my collegues...it was the 1930-40's Masonic Home Mighty Mites.....BUT in Reality....2006, 2007 Alto Yellow Jackets....2006 was better because of the DEPTH....alot of the same guys....Now the other team I will HAVE to mention is the 1975 Big Sandy team.....saw them up close and PERSONAL!!!....State Finals....They were good...Gary Chalk, David Overstreet, Tim Overstreet, and MR SMITH!!!

• Like 1

No love for '89-'90 Groveton?

They got my love... and while Rodney Thomas is the single most dominating high school player I've ever seen (and yes, I watched Adrian Peterson play also), those teams were solid from top to bottom. Even if they hadn't been, Rodney was so incredible he would've willed them to success, but because they were as good as they were it allowed them to destroy teams.

Best HS team I ever saw in person was 2008 Carthage. They were not the best all season, but the last 5-6 games they were unbelievable. That is the team that started it all. The 2010 and 2013 Dawgs were good too, but that 2008 team had it all. Put that same team at Carthage now, and they got 7-8 D1 players on the field at the 3a (new 4a) level. Of course nobody knew who Carthage was then, so the recruitment was minimal.

My pick as well

• Like 1

I also think the Atlanta team from 2003 (as much as it pains me to say their name) is overlooked because of their final record. But they went 12-4 and all 4 losses were to 4A opponents which at the time Atlanta was 3A and the only 3A team that even challenged them was Daingerfield in a 7-3 win for the Rabbits..they won 11 straight games to take the State Championship!

Based on the teams I've actually seen play, there is absolutely no question that the '83 Daingerfield team was by far the best I've seen at any level against similar competition. Though I never got to see them play, I heard about the Big Sandy teams of mid '70s, and the Pittsburg team of '80.

To this day, I find myself comparing defenses to the defense that I saw in '83. Not really a fair comparison, but nobody has ever came close to that one. Of course, offenses are much more complex and balanced nowadays so I'm pretty sure it will never be duplicated.