Week Three Pleasant Grove Vs Arkansas High For 1st Time in both Schools History

dhoop02

Pleasant Grove vs. Arkansas High  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Pick it....

PG did beat LE in 08 & 09. However, every year after the two prior, LE has straight dominated PG. Hopefully this year will be a great game! As for T-High, they are an average football team for their distirct and classification, but the "big-dog" in Texarkana. Last years LE team probably could have beaten any Texarkana team...by a whole lot! As for T-high and Pleasant Grove, I would say give PG another year to mature.

Now for Arkansas vs. PG this game is a "toss-up". But of course I'm going to have to side with the Grove on this one. I cant quite put my finger on it, but there is just something different about Texas football and Arkansas football. Go Hawks!!!! I'm going to say PG wins by an extra point! Penalties, lack of discipline, and special teams errors will hurt Arkansas in this one.

PG won in 07 and 08.

Yeah PG has won their fair share against LE over the years. For some reason people on this board don't believe it happened if it wasn't within the past 3 or 4 seasons lol.

As for the PG-TX High game, so much went on with that deal that most will never know.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't LE and Texas High in the same district at one point in the 60s or 70s before LE moved down to the old 3A? So if that was the case LE and TX High played plenty I imagine but again if it didn't happen within the past 3 or 4 years it never happened right?? :)

• Like 1

Yeah PG has won their fair share against LE over the years. For some reason people on this board don't believe it happened if it wasn't within the past 3 or 4 seasons lol.

As for the PG-TX High game, so much went on with that deal that most will never know.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't LE and Texas High in the same district at one point in the 60s or 70s before LE moved down to the old 3A? So if that was the case LE and TX High played plenty I imagine but again if it didn't happen within the past 3 or 4 years it never happened right?? :)

We were in T-High district in the 90's last year was 97-98

Wrong. Trying and actually doing it are two different things. It would be a discredit to the THS program to play them. Norton has nothing to win or lose from it. Back in my day L-E used to say they would not pla;y them. They finally did and THS beat them 57-0. Could have been 200-0. Athletic dept. caught a lot of flak for that. Times change and L-E is a much improved program. Maybe someday but PG is not ready now.

I totally understand that THS doesnt have a lot (if anything) to gain from playing PG......but PG does want to play. I'm not saying it would be the right decision for THS....I'm also not saying that PG would win......just defending the fact that PG does want to play since someone on here said that we do not.

That fact is proven because PG requested the game for this current season.....more than once.

• Like 1

I totally understand that THS doesnt have a lot (if anything) to gain from playing PG......but PG does want to play. I'm not saying it would be the right decision for THS....I'm also not saying that PG would win......just defending the fact that PG does want to play since someone on here said that we do not.

That fact is proven because PG requested the game for this current season.....more than once.

Well said!

Haha and knowing PG's coach, Texas High won't hear the end of it either. That guy has a lot of faith in his kids, sometimes too much maybe, but I like it.

Haha and knowing PG's coach, Texas High won't hear the end of it either. That guy has a lot of faith in his kids, sometimes too much maybe, but I like it.

You're right, some of those kids need someone to have faith in them. He's not the only one. That's a good group of men leading our boys. Thanks Coaches!

• Like 1

Barry wouldn't do it? That is so far from the truth. To have a meaningful discussion on Smoaky the truth must be stated.

Fact 1. Before last season even started Coach Gibson asked if Texas High would play PG.

Fact 2. Before the season started both coaches agreed that they would play. At this point I am pretty sure PG had also contacted AHS about playing also. The THS-PG game was to be week 1.

Fact 3. In the middle of last season Coach Gibson backed out of the THS game. The reason given was that with the way realignment might go he needed to drop his hardest pre-district game.

Now those are the facts. Coach Norton was all for playing this game. Backing out of this game is why you have Krum on the schedule.

To say "Barry wouldn't do it" is a bold face lie, an untruth, a 180 degree turn from fact.

Generally I try to stay out of these "this school, that school" discussions.....however, when facts are totally misstated a correction must be inserted.

Personally I think all schools within a metropolitan area should play if they are plus or minus one A in classification. It would be great to see all 4 area teams meet on the field. Think of the money generated by the crowds and the money saved in travel.

Barry wouldn't do it? That is so far from the truth. To have a meaningful discussion on Smoaky the truth must be stated.

Fact 1. Before last season even started Coach Gibson asked if Texas High would play PG.

Fact 2. Before the season started both coaches agreed that they would play. At this point I am pretty sure PG had also contacted AHS about playing also. The THS-PG game was to be week 1.

Fact 3. In the middle of last season Coach Gibson backed out of the THS game. The reason given was that with the way realignment might go he needed to drop his hardest pre-district game.

Now those are the facts. Coach Norton was all for playing this game. Backing out of this game is why you have Krum on the schedule.

To say "Barry wouldn't do it" is a bold face lie, an untruth, a 180 degree turn from fact.

Generally I try to stay out of these "this school, that school" discussions.....however, when facts are totally misstated a correction must be inserted.

Personally I think all schools within a metropolitan area should play if they are plus or minus one A in classification. It would be great to see all 4 area teams meet on the field. Think of the money generated by the crowds and the money saved in travel.

Well said

Fact 3 is dead on. Pretty much a dead on quote. When you have seen the greatest around here play, when you have seen those that make the NFL start out as teenagers with a dream, when you have traveled from South Texas, across LA, throughout East Texas and have run roads in West Texas......having seen the great ones......these "he won't play us" themes become so insignificant.

L-E has Gilmer, Carthage and THS to start their season.

THS picked up an unknown in BL, their normal AHS game, then LE and Kilgore.

Both schools in the past have not hesitated to play high caliber teams.....LE has opened with Gilmer for years. They have played Wimberly, MP (when they were good), Nashville, Greenville, Celina and AHS in pre-district.

THS has played Evangel, Lake Hamilton, Findlay, Waxahachie, John Tyler, Tyler Lee......etc all in pre-District.

I think the records speak for themselves.

These 2 posts are more than I have put on this sight in a decade. When I know the difference in fact and rumor it has to be said. My facts are true and fit the above pattern of playing real competition when it can be scheduled. That is enough said on this topic, because anyone who can't see the clear picture wouldn't be persuaded under any circumstance.

Fact 3 is dead on. Pretty much a dead on quote. When you have seen the greatest around here play, when you have seen those that make the NFL start out as teenagers with a dream, when you have traveled from South Texas, across LA, throughout East Texas and have run roads in West Texas......having seen the great ones......these "he won't play us" themes become so insignificant.

Both schools in the past have hesitated to play high caliber teams.....LE has opened with Gilmer for years. They have played Wimberly, MP (when they were good), Nashville, Greenville, Celina and AHS in pre-district.

THS has played Evangel, Lake Hamilton, Findlay, Waxahachie, John Tyler, Tyler Lee......etc all in pre-District.

These 2 posts are more than I have put on this sight in a decade. When I know the difference in fact and rumor it has to be said. My facts are true and fit the above pattern of playing real competition when it can be scheduled. That is enough said on this topic, because anyone who can't see the clear picture wouldn't be persuaded under any circumstance.

You should come around more often.

• Like 1

Both schools in the past have not hesitated to play high caliber teams.....LE has opened with Gilmer for years. They have played Wimberly, MP (when they were good), Nashville, Greenville, Celina and AHS in pre-district.

Very well said

Even if we added them Week 1, there's no way that T-High was our hardest pre-district game.

That's arguable. I mean, I would take Texas High over Frisco if they played. Frisco plays nobody outside of Frisco, and generally get donkey-stomped when they branch out. I think their win over Lone Star last year was just a freak accident, because with the exception of Lone Star, their opponents had a combined record of (37-65), and Frisco still lost 3 games in that stretch.

I remember other teams THS played in non-district over the years. Odessa Permian, Bentonville when they were number 1 in the country, Fort Smith Southside, Springdale, and others. I wish they would play PG, they would win by 40 points. Then these same PG posters would be crying on here how unfair it was. LOL.

We will see Friday night. I think LE will roll over Thigh so right now, I think LE is toughest pre-district followed by Frisco and of course Krum. Which doesnt make any sense toward your argument. Why would we drop the "toughest game" and replace it with an actual tough game?

We will see Friday night. I think LE will roll over Thigh so right now, I think LE is toughest pre-district followed by Frisco and of course Krum. Which doesnt make any sense toward your argument. Why would we drop the "toughest game" and replace it with an actual tough game?

wow no love for texas high lol.