17-5A Season Thread

Nacwagons

4 weeks into the season, 1 week left in non district.

Nac beat hallsville without playing their best game.35-14

Ennis destroyed Dallas Kimball 63-7

Whitehouse beat Sulphur Springs 49-31

Jacksonville beat Mt Pleasant 34-16

Cosicana lost big to Marshall 40-0

Lindale lost to Terrell 38-14

Standings

Nac 3-1

Whithouse 3-1

Jacksonville 3-1

Ennis 2-2

Corsicana 1-3

Lindale 1-3

My district rankings

These 2 teams are 1a and 1b

Nac

Ennis

Then we have the log jam, and I don't know what to make of the rest.

Whitehouse has a good record, but hasn't played anyone and lost to the one decent team they have played.

Jacksonville has beat two of the bottom teams out of 16-5a, loss coming to a 4a school.

Corsicana the biggest surprise for me in the district. Favored by many to challenge Ennis for the district title, won first game and have not been competitive since.

Lindale graduation seems to have decemated the Eagles after winning the first game, they have lost 3 straight.

Week 5 schedule

Nac vs Gilmer (Nac Homecoming)

Whitehouse vs Kenedale (WH homecoming)

Lindale vs Gladewater

Corsicana vs Manor

Jacksonville vs Alvarado

Ennis vs Del Valle

Thoughts on 17-5a???

Standings

Nac 3-1

Whithouse 3-1

Jacksonville 3-1

Ennis 2-2

Corsicana 1-3

Lindale 1-3

My district rankings

Nac

Ennis

Whitehouse has a good record, but hasn't played anyone and lost to the one decent team they have played.

Jacksonville has beat two of the bottom teams out of 16-5a, loss coming to a 4a school.

Corsicana the biggest surprise for me in the district. Favored by many to challenge Ennis for the district title, won first game and have not been competitive since.

Lindale graduation seems to have decemated the Eagles after winning the first game, they have lost 3 straight.

Week 5 schedule

Lindale vs Gladewater

Corsicana vs Manor

Jacksonville vs Alvarado

Ennis vs Del Valle

Thoughts on 17-5a???

Carthage is decent. Didn't know that. I mean they only trail Gilmer for most wins since 2010.

Carthage is decent. Didn't know that. I mean they only trail Gilmer for most wins since 2010.

That was not an indictment on Carthage, I was saying that they are the only above average team whitehouse played. Wins since 2010 has zero to do with this years team. This Carthage team could be an undefeateded state champion, my point was about the other teams on white houses schedule.

That was not an indictment on Carthage, I was saying that they are the only above average team whitehouse played. Wins since 2010 has zero to do with this years team. This Carthage team could be an undefeateded state champion, my point was about the other teams on white houses schedule.

Who has Nac beat that is good? Nac is in the same boat as Whitehouse. The only good team y'all played Nac lost. As of right now I consider Nac, Whitehouse, and Ennis pretty much the same.

Standings

Nac 3-1

Whithouse 3-1

Jacksonville 3-1

Ennis 2-2

Corsicana 1-3

Lindale 1-3

My district rankings

Nac

Ennis

Week 5 schedule

Lindale vs Gladewater

Corsicana vs Manor

Jacksonville vs Alvarado

Ennis vs Del Valle

Thoughts on 17-5a???

Everything you said is pretty spot on. The amazing thing is 2 more teams (other than Nac and Ennis) will make the playoffs. Unless a couple come on strong soon, it looks like a toss up right now.

But this week I'll take:

Gilmer

Whitehouse (toss up for me though )

Gladewater

Corsicana

JVille

Ennis

Nac and Ennis and then there is the rest. I rather for Ennis to be playing there best ball in week 10 rather than week 1-5.. Who you play matters. Jt and Hachie are better than Ennis right now. Things are different in week 10

It absolutely does matter who you play, we may get to week 8 or 9 and everything in this district is upside down. Whitehouse could turn out to be the best team in this district. Nac could turn out to be the worst. I personally don't think either is true, after seeing them play and comparing them to the other teams in area. I respect that u see whitehouse, Ennis, and Nac as the same right now.

Getting into strength of schedule opens up a completely different debate. I personally think Ennis and Nac have played a much tougher schedule than everyone in the district. Ok add Corsicana to that list, their schedule has been no cake walk. There is a big difference in playing 6a schools vs 4a schools.

It absolutely does matter who you play, we may get to week 8 or 9 and everything in this district is upside down. Whitehouse could turn out to be the best team in this district. Nac could turn out to be the worst. I personally don't think either is true, after seeing them play and comparing them to the other teams in area. I respect that u see whitehouse, Ennis, and Nac as the same right now.

Getting into strength of schedule opens up a completely different debate. I personally think Ennis and Nac have played a much tougher schedule than everyone in the district. Ok add Corsicana to that list, their schedule has been no cake walk. There is a big difference in playing 6a schools vs 4a schools.

+1

I think Corsicana just played Marshall at the wrong time. Had they played in week one or 2 I think Cana beats Marshall. We couldn't even snap the ball the first couple games. Marshall will be a top 20 team by the time playoffs roll around. Also, Cana has no passing game at all.. That hurts them badly.

Non-District Play has concluded and all of 17-5a is on a bye week this coming week, returning to start district on Oct 7th.

What have we learned?? What do we think we know about the district as a whole!!!

Week 5

Whitehouse(4-1) sits atop the district after beating Hallsville, Sulphur Springs, Chapel Hill and Kennedale only loss coming to Carthage.

Nac (3-2) wins against Kilgore, Tyler Lee and Hallsville, Losses to Lufkin and Gilmer.

Ennis (3-2) with wins against SOC,Kimball and Del Valle, Losses to John Tyler and Waxahachie.

Jacksonville(3-2) wins against Pine Tree, Hallsville, Mt Pleasant, losses to Palestine and Alvarado.

Corsicana(2-3) wins against Red Oak and Manor, losses to Tyler Lee, Marshall and Lancaster.

Lindale(1-4) only win coming against Kaufman, losses to Forney, Van, Terrell and Gladewater.

Looks as if Whitehouse, Ennis and Nac have separated themselves a bit based on who they have played.

District Matchups on Oct 7th

Nac @ Lindale I pick Nac

Corsicana @ Jacksonville I pick Cana

Whitehouse @ Ennis I Pick Ennis

My district predictions

Ennis-D1

Nac-D1

Whitehouse-D2

Cana-D2

Jacksonville

Lindale

Obviously there is a lot of football left and anything can happen and things can change one Friday to the next. What does everyone think?

Nac and Ennis are still the clear cut top 2. Whitehouse definitely has some quality wins as well as 1 loss to a very good Carthage team. They look much improved so far.

Corsicana and Lindale are the most surprising to me. Especially Corsicana. I really thought they might contend for a district championship this year. Lindale I knew would be down from graduation. But 1-4? They have played 1 5A team and lost. 3 of their loses were blowouts. Not what I expected. I am happy to see Jacksonville getting some wins in non district. But their wins have all come from some struggling teams. Think I read the teams they've beaten are a combined 1-15 or something like that.

So my predictions going into district:

1. Nac

2. Ennis

3. Whitehouse

4. Jacksonville (because the last 3 are pretty even, but I'd like to see JVille get in)

5. Cana

6. Lindale

• Like 1

Nac and Ennis are still the clear cut top 2. Whitehouse definitely has some quality wins as well as 1 loss to a very good Carthage team. They look much improved so far.

Corsicana and Lindale are the most surprising to me. Especially Corsicana. I really thought they might contend for a district championship this year. Lindale I knew would be down from graduation. But 1-4? They have played 1 5A team and lost. 3 of their loses were blowouts. Not what I expected. I am happy to see Jacksonville getting some wins in non district. But their wins have all come from some struggling teams. Think I read the teams they've beaten are a combined 1-15 or something like that.

So my predictions going into district:

1. Nac

2. Ennis

3. Whitehouse

4. Jacksonville (because the last 3 are pretty even, but I'd like to see JVille get in)

5. Cana

6. Lindale

While I like the prediction!! Until Nac shows they can beat a good quality football team with good coaches, I will not pick them to win the district. I am not taking anything away from the teams we have played so far.

While I like the prediction!! Until Nac shows they can beat a good quality football team with good coaches, I will not pick them to win the district. I am not taking anything away from the teams we have played so far.

You are right. Ennis and Nac seem pretty even now. I think I put Nac 1st because I didn't expect them to be in this position and they've surprised me.

If I'm understanding right, all of our teams are on a bye week this week.

We open district vs Whitehouse (in Ennis) on 10/07.

Interestingly enough, though 4 of our games have been under 300 yards rushing, we're still averaging 302 on the ground (per DMN) thanks to a 486 yard effort vs Dallas Kimball.

What I found even more interesting is that in the three games we won, we've out gained our opponent on the ground. In the two losses, we were outgained.

We're giving up more yardage than I'd like to see, at this point. Though district is about to start.

Even with our blowout loss to Waxahachie, we're still at +7.6 points.

• Like 1

I knew I could count on BACKnBLACK to go into the trophy case.

New year, new teams, not always the same outcome.

I give Nac a chance to win the district championship, why not. They are as good, if not better on offense and special teams as anybody in district.

And as long as you don't throw it 50 times and run an uptemo offense, the Defense is more than capable.

• Like 1