Week Four: Mesquite Horn at Longview

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (2-1) vs Mesquite Horn Jaguars (2-1)  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Mesquite Horn in a close one
    • Mesquite in a blow out

The Auburn vs Alabama rivalry is in-state and very competitive though. It's 44-35 with Bama leading I think. They've played since 1893 or 1894 and both teams have won championships. Several of the people in that state have either graduated from Auburn or Bama. They had parents and other family members that have gone there and chosen sides. I'm sure they grow up hating either Auburn or Alabama. It's not just a deep hatred though, the games actually means something and it's competitive. Both sides have actually accomplished something over the years, and not a hundred years ago either. I'm appalled that you even mentioned Nac in a sentence with us. Hate doesn't make a rivalry, you need wins too imo and they don't have many. The game also doesn't mean much anymore, we're not in district. Yea, if we lose to them it's considered a stain on our season because of how bad they've been as a program, so it makes us look bad when it happens. I would feel the same way about losing to Jacksonville, Lindale or Whitehouse...or heck College Park this year in 6A.

youf emotion is proving my point. I only see you get this emotional about Nac. You call them Roaches and etc. When you guys lose to LV, it didn't have the same effect as it did when Nac beat you guys twice. Just go back and read the posts. And the fact that you hate them also proves its a rivalry. Its the same emotion JT has for Lee. I know Luf and LV aren't primary rivals, because I see you wish them luck. I never want Lee to win. I hope they lose to everyone, unless their win benefits JT. Outside of JT beating Luf/LV/Whitehouse, I hope you guys win state (although I'm starting to feel different about the Nobos...lol)

I get what you are saying, but I disagree, I think the number of times is a factor, as well as the quantity. To be honest, I think Marshall is your primary rival because of quantity, but quality too. You taking a small sample size to judge Marshall, but Marshall has been playing you guys since 1909 (106 times).

I think LV has a rivalry with JT and Lufkin because the number of times you guys have played, but JT rival is Lee and Lufkin is Nac. I rival is bigger than just wins and losses. Just look at Lufkin and Nac. Its the proximity of the towns, its the emotions the games bring out.

I guarantee Horn doesn't bring out the same emotions as Marshall (or even JT/Lfk).

Alabama and LSU have played in very quality games, but and they have a rivalry, but at the end of the day, it ain't the same as Auburn/Alabama. If LV lose to Marshall (or even JT or LFK), of if LFK lose to Nac, or JT to Lee, it basically a stain on the rest of the season. I guarantee a loss to Horn doesn't have the same effect on the Lobos and their fan base.

I have met Lobo fans in several different states, when I tell them Im from JT, their is always a banter/smack talk that occurs after. I guarantee if I told them I went to Horn, they probably would ask me where is Horn located...lol.

Completely and utterly disagree.

I graduated in 2007, so take out the mid 90s meetings for me to even care about. I remember 1998, but have absolutely no feelings towards Marshall for it. 1999 and 2000 Lobo football was so bad it really didn't matter in the end. 2001 was the first season I actually cared, and of course 2002 it completely took off with our resurgence.

Don't get me wrong in that I completely view Marshall as a rival but our average score since 2002 is 40.46 to 15 (and even that is skewed a bit with Marshall scoring over 30 twice to inflate the number. In the 15 years since that 2002 season, we've had just two games decided by less than 10 points. Up until last season, we've had no district championships games. Even with last season, there's been absolutely no fighting for a playoff battle as the four years we've faced them in district play since, it was a foregone conclusion for us. Last season's loss stung but it was minimal, because in the end we still got a playoff berth, still got a district championship and we still went further in the playoffs than they did. They've held us under 30 points just 3 of the 15 games and we've still won two of them (both by double digits).

Mesquite Horn on the other hand, yes we've only faced them 10 times. And yes, it's super current. And yes the first four games when they were a new program weren't the most fierce or competitive. But from 2010 on it's been ever bit like the old 12-5A contests that older guys remember. It started that first district game back that we had no business winning in the end. It really took off the week leading up and the months after our state quarterfinal victory against them. The past three games have been absolutely excellent and filled with dislike for one another that the Marshall game has seen once since the mid 90s.

Heck, even for me, John Tyler was so bad...so so bad...that I remember feeling sorry for Cujo fans in the early 2000s. Tyler Lee on the other hand was a huge rival for us in the early to late 2000s that it completely overtook anything John Tyler was for that portion. Now, obviously, that has completely changed but they switched places in terms of competitiveness (and fact that we haven't lost to Lee in over a decade plus).

End of the day, Lufkin will always be our biggest rival. The amount of district championship showdowns, the amount of playoff berths on the line fought for and ultimately...when you face one team 9 times throughout your history in the actual playoffs...it just adds dislike/hatred that you can't get in the regular season.

We have a lot of rivals. Some view us as bigger rivals than we view them. We view other rivals bigger than they view us. And we're always going to end up getting news one, while others die out. Lufkin, John Tyler and Marshall will always be there. People like to say we're rivals with Texas High, but I have absolutely nothing against that program and openly cheer for them whenever we're not playing...and again I do that with Marshall. People like to think we could be rivals with Pine Tree but lol ok. Nacogdoches I'm sure whenever we face them again, the media will try and say there was a rivalry there at some point. People will say it with Lee this season even though I guarantee you that no one in Longview has even though of REL since we last played them (if that since the games were so bad). But Horn is definitely a new rival and as long as we continue to play the games we have recently, that isn't going to change. And IMO it's cause of that amazing Quarterfinal contest six years ago now.

Mybad man. lol

But in all fairness, King thinks so too.

https://www.etvarsity.com/news/2016/sep/12/et-football-lobos-prep-for-11-6a-opener-against-ho/

Was just about to post that lol

"The team that we're fixing is a good one. They're a playoff team from this past year with a lot of guys back and, like I told them after practice, they're the best football team we've seen to this point."

Was just about to post that lol

"The team that we're fixing is a good one. They're a playoff team from this past year with a lot of guys back and, like I told them after practice, they're the best football team we've seen to this point."

Dang, just flat out said it. That's cold Coach King. 007 will be in his feelings all week about this!!

Kidding aside, Horn is probably more talented than us if they have all of those D1 players that wolf and Grain was talking about on both sides. Not sure about the better team. We'll see though, both teams may be able to play at some point this season, if JT or the Lobos don't make it in the playoffs( more than likely not going to happen lol)....

Completely and utterly disagree.

I graduated in 2007, so take out the mid 90s meetings for me to even care about. I remember 1998, but have absolutely no feelings towards Marshall for it. 1999 and 2000 Lobo football was so bad it really didn't matter in the end. 2001 was the first season I actually cared, and of course 2002 it completely took off with our resurgence.

Don't get me wrong in that I completely view Marshall as a rival but our average score since 2002 is 40.46 to 15 (and even that is skewed a bit with Marshall scoring over 30 twice to inflate the number. In the 15 years since that 2002 season, we've had just two games decided by less than 10 points. Up until last season, we've had no district championships games. Even with last season, there's been absolutely no fighting for a playoff battle as the four years we've faced them in district play since, it was a foregone conclusion for us. Last season's loss stung but it was minimal, because in the end we still got a playoff berth, still got a district championship and we still went further in the playoffs than they did. They've held us under 30 points just 3 of the 15 games and we've still won two of them (both by double digits).

Mesquite Horn on the other hand, yes we've only faced them 10 times. And yes, it's super current. And yes the first four games when they were a new program weren't the most fierce or competitive. But from 2010 on it's been ever bit like the old 12-5A contests that older guys remember. It started that first district game back that we had no business winning in the end. It really took off the week leading up and the months after our state quarterfinal victory against them. The past three games have been absolutely excellent and filled with dislike for one another that the Marshall game has seen once since the mid 90s.

Heck, even for me, John Tyler was so bad...so so bad...that I remember feeling sorry for Cujo fans in the early 2000s. Tyler Lee on the other hand was a huge rival for us in the early to late 2000s that it completely overtook anything John Tyler was for that portion. Now, obviously, that has completely changed but they switched places in terms of competitiveness (and fact that we haven't lost to Lee in over a decade plus).

End of the day, Lufkin will always be our biggest rival. The amount of district championship showdowns, the amount of playoff berths on the line fought for and ultimately...when you face one team 9 times throughout your history in the actual playoffs...it just adds dislike/hatred that you can't get in the regular season.

We have a lot of rivals. Some view us as bigger rivals than we view them. We view other rivals bigger than they view us. And we're always going to end up getting news one, while others die out. Lufkin, John Tyler and Marshall will always be there. People like to say we're rivals with Texas High, but I have absolutely nothing against that program and openly cheer for them whenever we're not playing...and again I do that with Marshall. People like to think we could be rivals with Pine Tree but lol ok. Nacogdoches I'm sure whenever we face them again, the media will try and say there was a rivalry there at some point. People will say it with Lee this season even though I guarantee you that no one in Longview has even though of REL since we last played them (if that since the games were so bad). But Horn is definitely a new rival and as long as we continue to play the games we have recently, that isn't going to change. And IMO it's cause of that amazing Quarterfinal contest six years ago now.

I get what your saying, but I think you guys are confusing Big games with Rivals. LSU/Alabama are big games every yr, but at the end of the day, Auburn/Alabama are primary rivals.

you are looking at the Marshall rivalry from a short term view. I'm from an era where Marshall/LV played last game of the season. I seen some intense Marshall/LV games. If you want to pick Luf as a rival, I can understand, but to elevate Mesquite Horn to a rival is an insult to Marshall/JT/Luf and even Lee.

Im not sure why you guys are picking Horn anyway. Mesquite and N.Mesquite have been just as competitive vs LV as Horn and they both have recent wins over the Lobos, but yet you pick Horn as more of a rival. Go look at the scores between all 3 schools vs LV, and margin of victory has been about the same.

From 2004 to 2013, you guys are 1-7 vs Mesquite. You guys beat them by less than 8 points in 2006 and 2007. The avg score is 36-16 vs Mesquite. N. Mesquite is also 1-7 from the same time period. You guys beat them by less than 7 points in 2005 and 2006. The avg. score is 35-17. Horn is 1-8 during the same time period. You guys beat them by less than 8 points in 2010 and 2011. The avg score is 34-17. So you can see the avg margin of victory has been about the same vs all 3, and all 3 have victories against you guys...So based on your criteria, how can you separate the 3.

But regardless, just because a team gives you a couple of close games, doesn't make them a rival. I know alot of people in Longview, and I have never heard any of them say anything about Horn.

Calling out GTEE and the rest of Lobo nation, go ask 10 random Lobo fans about Horn and tell me what is said then ask about Marhsall/JT/Luf and Lee. I bet at least 7 out of 10 probably don't know where Horn is located, and I guarantee they will tell you they ain't rivals. Heck, I bet Horn Fans don't even consider you guys rivals.

Im really shock at you and W4PL. As arrogant as you guys are about Lobo football, you would elevate and team that is 1-8 vs you guys as a Rival, just because they played you guys tight in a couple of games....lol You guys are the same guys that are quick to dismiss JT and Marshall (as you did in the post Im responding too) because you have winning records vs them over the last 15 yrs....but yet, Mesquite Horn, with ONE all time victory vs you guys, is now a rival......lol This is crazy.

99 says Lufkin-Nac is a bigger rivalry than Longview-Lufkin.

This guy never fails. lololol

Bigger rivalry, not a bigger game.

Lsu/Alabama is one of the biggest games every yr, but the rivalry isn't bigger than Alabama/Auburn. You guys are too friendly with Lufkin for it to be a bigger rivalry. Nac/Luf hate each other...regardless of the one sided history. Just look at the posts on smoaky when they play each other.

I get what your saying, but I think you guys are confusing Big games with Rivals. LSU/Alabama are big games every yr, but at the end of the day, Auburn/Alabama are primary rivals.

you are looking at the Marshall rivalry from a short term view. I'm from an era where Marshall/LV played last game of the season. I seen some intense Marshall/LV games. If you want to pick Luf as a rival, I can understand, but to elevate Mesquite Horn to a rival is an insult to Marshall/JT/Luf and even Lee.

Im not sure why you guys are picking Horn anyway. Mesquite and N.Mesquite have been just as competitive vs LV as Horn and they both have recent wins over the Lobos, but yet you pick Horn as more of a rival. Go look at the scores between all 3 schools vs LV, and margin of victory has been about the same.

From 2004 to 2013, you guys are 1-7 vs Mesquite. You guys beat them by less than 8 points in 2006 and 2007. The avg score is 36-16 vs Mesquite. N. Mesquite is also 1-7 from the same time period. You guys beat them by less than 7 points in 2005 and 2006. The avg. score is 35-17. Horn is 1-8 during the same time period. You guys beat them by less than 8 points in 2010 and 2011. The avg score is 34-17. So you can see the avg margin of victory has been about the same vs all 3, and all 3 have victories against you guys...So based on your criteria, how can you separate the 3.

Simple about North and Mesquite...we've never had a playoff game against them. Whether the hatred of the past couple meetings will be there this coming Friday or not, we'll see. But I guarantee it will be bigger than what we see against North or Mesquite....and I KNOW it will be much bigger than what we saw against Marshall two weeks ago.

You're telling me that I'm looking at the Marshall game from a short point of view...but so are you. The era that Longview and Marshall played on the final game of the season...lasted all of 8 seasons (1990 to 1997). Every bit of intensity that we saw in that 98 game were the Mavs upset us....you should've seen the next year in 1999...when there was absolutely zero life in the game what so ever. No doubt that Marshall is a strong program overall, but we're 39-9 against them in the last 48 years. A lot of those games were competitive...and ton were not. I cheer for Marshall every single chance I can. I have no ill will against them what so ever.

We might have face each other every year, and they might be us every once in a while, but they're a rival only in the history books to me at this point. And obviously, that could change if they were able to become consistently competitive against us again (knocking us out of a playoff spot, or winning a district title over us would be a good start). Even bringing in last year's game, I was more upset at our own team than I was anything about Marshall.

Lsu/Alabama is one of the biggest games every yr, but the rivalry isn't bigger than Alabama/Auburn. You guys are too friendly with Lufkin for it to be a bigger rivalry. Nac/Luf hate each other...regardless of the one sided history. Just look at the posts on smoaky when they play each other.

This is absolutely ridiculous if you remember anything of the game threads in the past. I think you're mistaking respect for friendliness tbh.

We've simply toned it down because truthfully of how out of hand it got. I have nothing against 007 and enjoy talking football with him, but that doesn't mean I want to see them win. I respect a lot of Lufkin fans, but I sure as heck dislike a whole lot of them.

Lufkin's recent lack of success playoff wise since Outlaw has left has taken a kick out of the rivalry just a little bit, but it's a huge rivalry to both our cities.

End of story, we've faced each other 20 times in the past 15 seasons. We've literally taken every shot from one another. Said everything that is humanly possible. What more is there to say when we meet up against one another?

Please explain how in the flying hell Nac is a bigger rival to Lufkin than Longview is. Because they're right down the street? Dumb reasoning.

Longview and Lufkin are damn near mirror images of one another, except ones green the other is purple. The bands are even similar for crying out loud. Hell, our two schools have even broken stadium attendance records (Homer Bryce) and it's always a huge crowd when these two meet.

Lastly, if 38-37-4 doesn't tell you anything.....you're incapable of realizing the truth. That is a fine balance of quantity and quality. Longview-Lufkin is the best RIVALRY in the state.

Just ask Lufkin folks who their biggest rival is. I guarantee you NONE will say Nac.

Im really shock at you and W4PL. As arrogant as you guys are about Lobo football, you would elevate and team that is 1-8 vs you guys as a Rival, just because they played you guys tight in a couple of games....lol You guys are the same guys that are quick to dismiss JT and Marshall (as you did in the post Im responding too) because you have winning records vs them over the last 15 yrs....but yet, Mesquite Horn, with ONE all time victory vs you guys, is now a rival......lol This is crazy.

When have I dismissed JT as a rival?

Yeah....I haven't. Can I stand anything about the place, hell no but I have never dismissed them as a rival. Personally I consider JT our 2nd biggest rival behind Lufkin. Now Marshall on the other hand is kind've an overrated rivalry. They sold out the stadium two Friday's ago just to see their team get slaughtered and frankly the two schools have little in common these days. The competitiveness just isn't there. Matter of fact, Hallsville is Marshall's main rival these days...not ours. Marshall may be a rival but certainly not our biggest nor main rival. That's Lufkin. There's is Hallsville.

NM nor Mesquite has ever brought the intensity to a game that Horn has....I don't care what on paper says. Call me when either one of those teams bring the fan base to Lobo that Horn does, holds the consistency that Horn does, and plays us in a playoff game like Horn did.

Simple about North and Mesquite...we've never had a playoff game against them. Whether the hatred of the past couple meetings will be there this coming Friday or not, we'll see. But I guarantee it will be bigger than what we see against North or Mesquite....and I KNOW it will be much bigger than what we saw against Marshall two weeks ago.

You're telling me that I'm looking at the Marshall game from a short point of view...but so are you. The era that Longview and Marshall played on the final game of the season...lasted all of 8 seasons (1990 to 1997). Every bit of intensity that we saw in that 98 game were the Mavs upset us....you should've seen the next year in 1999...when there was absolutely zero life in the game what so ever. No doubt that Marshall is a strong program overall, but we're 39-9 against them in the last 48 years. A lot of those games were competitive...and ton were not. I cheer for Marshall every single chance I can. I have no ill will against them what so ever.

We might have face each other every year, and they might be us every once in a while, but they're a rival only in the history books to me at this point. And obviously, that could change if they were able to become consistently competitive against us again (knocking us out of a playoff spot, or winning a district title over us would be a good start). Even bringing in last year's game, I was more upset at our own team than I was anything about Marshall.

ONE playoff game vs a school that you are 1-8 against with several blowouts makes them a rival....smh.

This is absolutely ridiculous if you remember anything of the game threads in the past. I think you're mistaking respect for friendliness tbh.

We've simply toned it down because truthfully of how out of hand it got. I have nothing against 007 and enjoy talking football with him, but that doesn't mean I want to see them win. I respect a lot of Lufkin fans, but I sure as heck dislike a whole lot of them.

Lufkin's recent lack of success playoff wise since Outlaw has left has taken a kick out of the rivalry just a little bit, but it's a huge rivalry to both our cities.

End of story, we've faced each other 20 times in the past 15 seasons. We've literally taken every shot from one another. Said everything that is humanly possible. What more is there to say when we meet up against one another?

Im ok if you want to say Lufkin is your rival, but don't elevate Mesquite Horn to anywhere close of the rivalry you guys have with Marshall/Luf/JT or even Lee.

Please explain how in the flying hell Nac is a bigger rival to Lufkin than Longview is. Because they're right down the street? Dumb reasoning.

Longview and Lufkin are damn near mirror images of one another, except ones green the other is purple. The bands are even similar for crying out loud. Hell, our two schools have even broken stadium attendance records (Homer Bryce) and it's always a huge crowd when these two meet.

Lastly, if 38-37-4 doesn't tell you anything.....you're incapable of realizing the truth. That is a fine balance of quantity and quality. Longview-Lufkin is the best RIVALRY in the state.

Just ask Lufkin folks who their biggest rival is. I guarantee you NONE will say Nac.

Yes, living down the street from each other has ALOT to do with it being a rival. Go look up most rivalries, 9 times out of 10 they are with a nearby school.

As someone who has actually live in the Luf/Nac area, I can tell that many fans from Lufkin and Nac will tell you they are each others rival. Im not saying Lufkin and Longview don't have a rivalry, Im just saying Nac is their biggest rival. BUT Im ok with a debate on this. But to debate that Mesquite Horn is a rival of Longview is just plain crazy.

don't elevate Mesquite Horn to anywhere close of the rivalry you guys have with Marshall/Luf/JT or even Lee.

Horn is a rival. Where people place them is another conversation.

And no they aren't on the level of Lufkin or JT. If someone made an argument for them being at least equal to Marshall or over Lee....I wouldn't be mad at them.

Yeah....I haven't. Can I stand anything about the place, hell no but I have never dismissed them as a rival. Personally I consider JT our 2nd biggest rival behind Lufkin. Now Marshall on the other hand is kind've an overrated rivalry. They sold out the stadium two Friday's ago just to see their team get slaughtered and frankly the two schools have little in common these days. The competitiveness just isn't there. Matter of fact, Hallsville is Marshall's main rival these days...not ours. Marshall may be a rival but certainly not our biggest nor main rival. That's Lufkin. There's is Hallsville.

NM nor Mesquite has ever brought the intensity to a game that Horn has....I don't care what on paper says. Call me when either one of those teams bring the fan base to Lobo that Horn does, holds the consistency that Horn does, and plays us in a playoff game like Horn did.

I can understand what your saying on this. You may be swaying me to your points bout Lufkin and the other East Texas schools, but you will not convince me that Horn is a rival.

I can understand what your saying on this. You may be swaying me to your points bout Lufkin and the other East Texas schools, but you will not convince me that Horn is a rival.

Im not saying Lufkin and Longview don't have a rivalry, Im just saying Nac is their biggest rival.

007, PA and Gametyme....straighten this dude out immediately. He hasn't a clue.

He's yet to say how Nac-Lufkin is bigger than Longview-Lufkin...other than saying the two teams are down the road from eachother. lol too bad that isn't a reason that'll cut it.

but you will not convince me that Horn is a rival.

I don't have to. You aren't any affiliation with the Lobos....feel free to believe what you want. lol you're wrong per the usual.

But to debate that Mesquite Horn is a rival of Longview is just plain crazy.

It isn't crazy if you've been paying attention..

But to debate that Mesquite Horn is a rival of Longview is just plain crazy.

If you don't want us to claim that Horn is a rival of our's based on our series, and based on how few of games we have played against them....why do you get to claim Whitehouse as a rival?

Y'all have played just 6 times, 5-1 against them, and only three of them have even been remotely competitive.

They're the pure definition of who isn't a rival according to your standards.

I don't have to. You aren't any affiliation with the Lobos....feel free to believe what you want. lol you're wrong per the usual.

It isn't crazy if you've been paying attention..

I would never want to have any affiliation with a Lobo...lol. But I do know one thing, Mesquite Horn aint yall rivals. Heck, if took out the word Mesquite, and ask 10 lobo Fans about Horn High, they probably would have no idea what you are talking about. As a matter of fact, I just asked a few Lobo fans about Horn, and they had no idea who I was talking about, until I told them it was the school they played in Shreveport in the playoffs.