Adam Jones.. "Baseball a White Man's game by design"

Coach Rab

Adam Jones says you won't see any protests of the National Anthem because baseball is a "White Man's Game by Design"...

Is a 60% white population just overwhelming to the point where the black and hispanic and asian players feel like they are oppressed? LOL... I feel like people just say things to get a rise....

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/17537499/expect-protests-baseball-white-man-game-design

Race-MLB.png

I'm not buying this argument, because I think more black men and young men would be successful playing baseball. One of the problems I do see are the elite teams that cost an arm and a leg to join. Those players are able to get better training than your average Little League teams. It does seem that more black athletes compete in football and basketball more. In my opinion the cost of equipment to play football should bring it down, but it doesn't. I remember when I first started playing Little League football my parents did complain about the cost of the (1978 prices) $150 that it cost to purchase my helmet and pads. With baseball a glove is still around $30-$50, a decent bat is around $30, and a dozen balls are around $40. True, catchers equipment can be expensive, but we always had hand me down catchers gear we used in Little League as well as batting helmets. Maybe it's just not popular with younger kids anymore, but I'd rather play baseball than basketball any day of the week.

I'm not buying this argument, because I think more black men and young men would be successful playing baseball. One of the problems I do see are the elite teams that cost an arm and a leg to join. Those players are able to get better training than your average Little League teams. It does seem that more black athletes compete in football and basketball more. In my opinion the cost of equipment to play football should bring it down, but it doesn't. I remember when I first started playing Little League football my parents did complain about the cost of the (1978 prices) $150 that it cost to purchase my helmet and pads. With baseball a glove is still around $30-$50, a decent bat is around $30, and a dozen balls are around $40. True, catchers equipment can be expensive, but we always had hand me down catchers gear we used in Little League as well as batting helmets. Maybe it's just not popular with younger kids anymore, but I'd rather play baseball than basketball any day of the week.

Cheaper and easier to put a basketball court in a downtown area. EaSierra to find a vacant lot for a pickup football game.

Tough to get a baseball game off and running in an inner city area. MLB is making efforts, but the fruition of those efforts won't be seen for a while...

Cheaper and easier to put a basketball court in a downtown area. EaSierra to find a vacant lot for a pickup football game.

Tough to get a baseball game off and running in an inner city area. MLB is making efforts, but the fruition of those efforts won't be seen for a while...

I suppose with inner city kids it is tougher to find a place to play. I've never played stickball, but we've all seen movies set back in the day when kids would be playing in the streets of NY. I know some baseball fields here in Houston that if they catch you playing on them without permission they'll fine you. It seems to me if it's a public park they should be able to play. We played in backyards too, but soon had to switch to a tennis ball. We had broken too many windows, and got tired of paying to have them replaced. Even with all the kids chipping in money was hard to come by back in the 70's.