Week Five: Longview at Tyler Lee

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (3-1) at Tyler Lee Red Raiders (2-2)  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Tyler Lee in a close one
    • Tyler Lee in a blow out

longview2.pngtylerlee.png

LONGVIEW LOBOS (3-1) VS TYLER LEE RED RAIDERS (2-2)

DATE: Friday, September 23rd, 2016
TIME: 7:30 PM
LOCATION: Earl Campbell Field at Christus Trinity Mother Frances Rose Stadium in Tyler, Texas
LONGVIEW BROADCAST: Sunny 106.5 FM KOOI
TYLER LEE BROADCAST: 92.1 FM ESPN

longview.pngLOBOS LEAD SERIES 40-14-2 longview.png
The Lobos have a 2-0 lead when the game is a non-district contest before.
The Lobos have a 38-14-2 lead when the game is a district contest.
The two schools have never played a playoff contest before.
The two schools have never played at a neutral location.
The Lobos have a 21-5-2 lead when the game is played at Longview.
The Lobos have a 19-9 lead when the game is played at Tyler Lee.
Longview has won the last 11 contests against the Red Raiders.
Longview is 19-9 all-time against Tyler Lee at Rose Stadium (new),winning the last 6 meetings there.
Longview is 2-0 when the game is played on September 23rd.

LAST FIVE GAMES IN SERIES
10.31.2013 - Longview 63, Tyler Lee 7 - Lobo Stadium
11.02.2012 - Longview 52, Tyler Lee 6 - Rose Stadium
10.28.2011 - Longview 45, Tyler Lee 19 - RoseStadium
10.29.2010 - Longview 28, Tyler Lee 17 - Lobo Stadium
09.05.2009 - Longview 31, Tyler Lee 7 - Rose Stadium
FULL GAME LOG

GAME PREVIEW & SERIES REVIEW
For the 58th time in 56 years, the Longview Lobos meet their red rivals from the Rose City…the Robert E. Lee Red Raiders. The Lobos and Raiders first met in 1960 inside Lobo Stadium, where the Lobos walked away winners in a 47-8 schlacking. The two schools met every yet after that until the 2014 UIL realignment, which saw Longview drop to Class 5A while Lee moved to the newly created Class 6A. While the two schools were meeting on a yearly basis, the Lobos saw a lot of recent success over their Rose City counterparts. Longview has won 11 consecutive against Lee, with their last loss coming in an 18-14 homecoming setback back in 2003. In that contest, the Lobos saw a 14-3 halftime lead vanish in the second half when the Red Raiders scored 15 unanswered. The Red Raiders 2003 win marked the 6th win in 7 meetings between the two schools. It was the most successful run in the series for Lee and it ended a run that saw the Red Raiders win just two games over Longview in the prior 26 seasons. Most of Lee’s success came in the first 12 years of the series. The two schools each traded three game winning streaks over the other in those 12 years. Since then, Longview has run up a 34-8-2 record. The last meeting between the two schools came in 2013, when the Lobos struck for 42 points in the first half (28 in the first quarter) in a 63-7 blow out of the Raiders. Longview rolled up 522 total yards that night, including 270 passing yards. The two schools come into the contest in completely different mindsets. Longview, after suffering an opening week defeat, has rolled off three consecutive wins, including last week’s district opening victory over Mesquite Horn. Tyler Lee, after opening the 2016 season with a surprising 2-0 start, has watched their record fall to .500 after consecutive defeats. The Red Raiders suffered their greatest defeat of the season so far in a 34-7 loss to Rockwall Heath that opened district play. Longview’s win marked John King’s 67th win in 71 district games as head coach of the Lobos. First year head coach Clayton George for Lee fell to 0-1 in district play as head coach of the Red Raiders. Longview returns to Rose Stadium for the first time since their 2015 bi-district playoff victory over Lufkin. The win at Rose Stadium last November marked the 17th win out of their last 18 games held in Tyler. Only Longview’s 2014 area round defeat to Lake Ridge prevents the 100% record. The Lobos are 19-2 at Rose Stadium since their last loss to Tyler Lee in Tyler back in 2002.

WEEK FOUR 11-6A SCHEDULE:
John Tyler at North Mesquite
Longview at Tyler Lee
Mesquite vs Mesquite Horn
Rockwall vs Rockwall Heath

WEEK THREE 11-6A RESULTS:
Longview 47 Mesquite Horn 37
Rockwall Heath 34 Tyler Lee 7
Rockwall 59 John Tyler 58
North Mesquite 28 Mesquite 25

DISTRICT 11-6A STANDINGS:
1st. Longview (3-1, 1-0)
2nd. Rockwall Heath (3-1, 1-0)
3rd. North Mesquite (2-2, 1-0)
4th. Rockwall (1-3, 1-0)
5th. John Tyler (3-1, 0-1)
6th. Mesquite (2-2, 0-1)
7th. Mesquite Horn  (2-2, 0-1)
8th. Tyler Lee (2-2, 0-1)

LONGVIEW LOBOS
Record: 3-1 (1-0)
District: 11-6A
Coach: John King (134-32 in 13 seasons) (Playoffs: 31-12)
First Year of Football: 1909
All-Time Record: 689-338-52 (Playoffs: 59-39-1)
Playoff Appearances: 42
Last Playoff Appearance: 2015, 5A Division I State Quarterfinal
State Championships: 1937 (1A)
State Championship Appearances: 1937 (1A), 1997 (5A D1), 2008 (4A D1), 2009 (4A D1)
SCHEDULE:
08.26 - at Lufkin - Loss 35-24
09.02 - at Marshall - Win 56-7
09.09 - vs South Oak Cliff - Win 62-14
09.16 - vs Mesquite Horn - Win 47-37
09.23 - at Tyler Lee
09.30 - vs Rockwall
10.14 - at North Mesquite
10.21 - vs John Tyler
10.28 - at Rockwall Heath
11.04 - vs Mesquite

TYLER LEE RED RAIDERS
Record: 2-2 (0-1)
District: 11-6A
Coach: Clayton George (2-2 in 1 season) (Playoffs: 0-0)
First Year of Football: 1958
All-Time Record: 284-315-20 (Playoffs: 22-17-0)
Playoff Appearances: 18
Last Playoff Appearance: 2014, 6A Division I Bi-District Round
State Championships: 2004 (5A D1)
State Championship Appearances: 2004 (5A D1)
SCHEDULE:
08.26 - vs Marshall - Win 34-7
09.02 - at Corsicana - Win 34-21
09.09 - vs Nacogdoches - Loss 24-17
09.16 - at Rockwall Heath - Loss 34-7
09.23 - vs Longview
09.30 - at Mesquite Horn
10.14 - at Mesquite
10.21 - vs Rockwall
10.28 - at North Mesquite
11.04 - vs John Tyler

ON THIS DATE IN LOBO HISTORY: September 23rd
In 1938, Longview returned to the home of their state championship game just a year prior and held firm as they knocked off Dallas Crozier Tech 14-7 inside the Cotton Bowl.
In 1949, the Lobos saw their Tommy Rae touchdown go by the waist side as Paris knocked off Longview 13-6 in Noyes Stadium.
In 1955, Tony Rothrock put home two touchdowns before three second half Lobo touchdowns to put the Razorbacks from Arkansas High away by a 39-6 win at Burham Field. The Lobos tallied 326 rushing yards while holding the Hogs to just 87 total.
In 1960, Shreveport Byrd absolutely dominated Longview in a 34-0 blow out inside Lobo Stadium.
In 1966, the Lobos traveled to Jones-Coward Stadium in Houston and came back with a 15-0 victory over Houston Smiley as Steve Judy’s 82 run in the first quarter was all Longview needed for the win.
In 1977, Longview saw a 17-0 first half lead nearly disappear as Galveston Ball’s comeback bid fell just short in a 17-13 Lobo win. Jim Tutt’s field goal followed by Dinky Edwards and Greg Brown touchdowns were all the Lobos could manage on the night.
In 1983, the Joe Johnson show went to work in the second quarter followed by a Leon Hendrix 92 yard punt return as the Lobos rolled over Tyler Lee, 29-11. Longview’s defense held the Red Raiders to just 149 total yards on the night.
In 1988, Earnest Hunter racked up three first half touchdowns before adding the winning tally in the fourth quarter as the Lobos hung on to dear life in a 28-20 win over the Red Raiders of Tyler Lee.
In 1994, despite trailing 24-0 after rate first quarter, Chris Butcher tallied three touchdowns to bring the Lobos back into the contest. But it wasn’t to be as Bryan held on for a 26-20 win. Bryan was held to just 114 total yards on the night and 7 first downs.
In 2005, Hurricane Rita was all the news and it could be felt in the air as the Lobos traveled to face Mesquite for the first time since 1989. The game wasn’t as exciting as the hurricane action, as the Lobos rolled up 407 yards while holding the Skeeters to 92 total in a 48-0 victory.

lobohowl2_zpscfd7d4bc.gif
  • Like 2

07 great stats Where to begin with this Lee team. This team is a complete mental breakdown.

Against Heath Lee had 3 turnovers for scores, fumbled at their own 1, penalties at the wrong time, can't get the right package on the field, a missed chip shot FG, a interception

The kicking teams remain a big issue.

Lee has no production out of its 3 Soph. RBs

Amie is doing it all alone. Heath knew that and kept him in check Amie still had 86 rushing 176 passing.

Heath didn't throw a pass all night. They run the wing T and wear you down. If Lee couldnt handle that .. The Lobos will run all over Lee.

I knew after the Nac game this team was in trouble. They play hard but are short in O and D.

It's not a frustration comment .. But Lee won't win another game. This team isn't as good as last years team. There's no offense.

Lobos win this by 50 or when they decide to pull their starters. This won't be pretty.

Lee sounds a lot like Marshall with Haller TBH. You just can't rely on one guy to do it all at this level.

And you really can't let turnovers come into play when you're doing that.

I'm glad we're back to play Lee for sure but this should be an absolute massacre overall.

I have a feeling Lee might pull out a 7 point win there due for a shocker game every year and it's prrroballly not Friday ........... but it's a chance you never know what Lee team your going to get .. my question is lobo fans when the last time yall lost at rose to lee or to jt

I have a feeling Lee might pull out a 7 point win there due for a shocker game every year and it's prrroballly not Friday ........... but it's a chance you never know what Lee team your going to get .. my question is lobo fans when the last time tall lost at rose to lee or to jt

hey on the low...we don't call it Rose...we call it home...but that's just for me and and Dace to know. Keep it in-house chief.
  • Like 1

I have a feeling Lee might pull out a 7 point win there due for a shocker game every year and it's prrroballly not Friday ........... but it's a chance you never know what Lee team your going to get .. my question is lobo fans when the last time tall lost at rose to lee or to jt

Tyler Lee, 2002 (28-21).

John Tyler, 2000 (27-14).

I have a feeling Lee might pull out a 7 point win there due for a shocker game every year and it's prrroballly not Friday ........... but it's a chance you never know what Lee team your going to get .. my question is lobo fans when the last time yall lost at rose to lee or to jt

Lee normally has a upset game somewhere up its sleeve, but I don't think this team has enough offense to pull one off this year.

The turnovers , penalties and poor special teams play gives them a uphill battle against good teams that their offense can't overcome. This team has NO running game, other than Amie

They may as well get in the gun and throw it every down.

Heath didn't have a first down until the second qtr. And Lee said here you go on their 1, and again on the 20, and again on the 30, and Big Mo took over from there. Lee actually controlled the first qtr, until the turnover bug got them.

But all in all they couldn't stop their ground and pound misdirection wing T when they had to.

Funny stat... Heath had the number 1 defense in the district going into game ???

Lee Heath

First Downs 16 9

Rushing Yards 41-190 43-340

Passing Yards 176 0

Comp-Att-Int 11-17-1 0-0-0

Punts 3-30 2-40

Fumbles 3-3 2-0

Penalties 6-35 2-15

Longview fans coming to the game this week, ..... FYI its East Texas Fair week..

If you have ever experienced a game at the Rose while the fair is going on... Its a pain.

Your best bet for parking on the visitor side, is to first look for curb parking along the street if your lucky.

If not its best to just pay a couple bucks and park at the Mike Carter Field lot, which is right at the visitor side entrance.

3rd option would be park and walk a mile.

• Like 1

Regardless, you'll still be on here complaining. As for the game, I would say good luck Bos, but I was told rivals don't do that. So....yea lol.

Lord. Let Longview get a 9 yard gain on a running play instead of 10, he'll claim the team is not good. lol

Man, my years at Longview saw Lee as a huge thorn in the side. My sophomore year, we beat them 31-14 in one of the most bizarre games. Mike Owens, trailing 24-14 in the 4th, put his backups in on defense with 9 or 10 minutes left in the game. Longview drove all the way down the field and scored a TD with only like 17 seconds left in the game to win 31-14. Then the next year after we lost while being ranked #4 at home 18-14, a young Carlin Freeman led us to a 22-21 win in Tyler. And finally, Senior year was a 34-31 overtime win.

Since then, it hasn't really been competitive with Lee, sadly. Wish we could get back to the old days.