Jefferson v Clarksville

FlowJack

Jefferson v Clarksville   

31 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

The trick is to schedule a non-dist that's just hard enough to toughen the kids up (physically & mentally), challenges them to take their game to another level and provide some character-building. Yeah, 5-0 is nice if they're close, but a loss or two (while you don't want that) won't hurt you in playoffs if the kids learn from those losses. A cream-puff non-dist does nothing for your team and being grossly over matched every game, a'la Clarksville, also does your team no good - in fact makes things worse. Now you're dealing with possibly more injuries than usual and team morale that's probably in the toilet. We all know scheduling the perfect non-district is much easier said than done, but this team's non-dist is ridiculous.

DF likes to play a really brutal non-district schedule and like you said it can be good for you if you're competitive and not so good if you get key players hurt and are not competitive...I think the ideal non-district schedule would have a couple of teams that you feel like would be competitive and 1 that you really know you can't beat unless you play perfect or they make several mistakes and then a couple that you know you should beat just to give kids little confidence going into district play..

• Like 1

DF likes to play a really brutal non-district schedule and like you said it can be good for you if you're competitive and not so good if you get key players hurt and are not competitive...I think the ideal non-district schedule would have a couple of teams that you feel like would be competitive and 1 that you really know you can't beat unless you play perfect or they make several mistakes and then a couple that you know you should beat just to give kids little confidence going into district play..

Agreed. That's close to our non-D this year. 2 teams we felt fairly confident we could beat, 1 that realistically could go either way depending on how OUR TEAM plays and 2 that we knew beforehand were going to be super difficult but force the kids to dig really deep - and will improve their game even if we lost.

Just my opinion; but maybe:

1. The action of players and/or fans in the past 25 years?
  2. Don't want to drive their buses and fans so far into a residential neighborhood and then have no place to park?
  3. Possibility of losing to a lower classification?
  4. Playing a team and fan base that is racially so different than theirs?
  5. Band that dances in the stands?
  6. Poor facilities?

2. Don't want to drive their buses and fans so far into a residential neighborhood and then have no place to park?
  6. Poor facilities?

I could agree with 1 & 3. Maybe 2 & 6 if I really stretched. 4 & 5 wouldn't keep me from playing Clarksville or any other team; and shouldn't keep anyone else from playing them either.

About the band, though. Last year, 2nd round of playoffs C-ville band played pretty much the entire half time. Literally about 2 minutes left on the clock when they walked off the field. Kinda points toward #1 on that list, a little bit. Ref's were cool about it and gave our band time to do one song/movement. Felt bad for the band kids. My oldest son was a senior & in the band. We ultimately had the last laugh though, hung 6 TD's on them.

What is this a reference to? I seem to recall hearing about a brawl with Prairiland fans in the 80s, but in all the games I've ever gone to I've never noticed anything remotely controversial done by fans. They barely even make any noise.

• Like 1

6. Poor facilities?

1. Totally unfounded. Past 25 years? That's a long time.

2. 1 turn off of hwy 82. 1 turn off a fm road. 5 or 6 blocks. Hmmmmmmm?????

3. As mentioned above, 20 straight losses in non-district.

4. Race? Really?

5. Dancing? Really?

6. 2A -2 school. Smallest 11 man in the state. Many have less accommodating facilities.

What is this a reference to? I seem to recall hearing about a brawl with Prairiland fans in the 80s, but in all the games I've ever gone to I've never noticed anything remotely controversial done by fans. They barely even make any noise.

Yep, Clarksville usually keeps it classy, kids are raised rite round there.. Got fam that teaches in that school and family in that school..

lol flowjack.......this was about cville. we will see about jeffersons might as the season goes forward. 3a 1 hangs 70 on 2a II school and also brought their 8th grade team to play the 2a II junior high combined team of mostly 7th graders. they showed their might on thursday as well.

• Like 1

That was said tongue in cheek, 'state. I left before halftime because this game should never have taken place. Jefferson had no business scheduling a school less than half their enrollment. You won't see Gilmer on the Bulldog schedule.

If I'm not mistaken, it takes 2 to schedule. And it wasn't that many years ago they did play Gilmer, LE, PG and Athens. A guy told me that last night. I also left at halftime, but I'll say this much about the Jefferson "discipline" that they get a bad wrap for. On one occasion when CV had a player down Jefferson players were handing their water bottles over to CV players to give them a drink. You don't see that very often.

Let's just throw this out there....the kids are getting blamed for "no effort"... Why are we sweeping the evident problem under the rug? Look at the facts...Clarksville's football participation has diminished tremendously over the past few years. This team is very young, but this has been an ongoing scenario. Even if they started with predominately older athletes, at this point, by the time they are "older" they are so tired and frustrated with the program that they refuse to play. So, of course the team is very young. A school as small as Tenaha had participation by their whole high school and it was evident. The athletes are there but how many of those athletes refuse to play under the current situation? Those with the comments of these kids lacking effort should also be asked, "These are the same kids that will play basketball and run track. They always have effort in those sports, so why would they not have it in football?" Why is it that the coaching staff changes every year? A good program builds each year. Clarksville diminishes each year.

I meant my five points earlier to be a jab at the some of the comments I hear from time to time.

Folks often refer to "white flight"; we now have "black flight" occurring, some of our best young athletes are at Detroit and Rivercrest.

By the way, I really don't see color of skin, it is character and heart that I use to measure a young athlete. Most of Clarksville's kids are better than they get credit for.

• The action of players and/or fans in the past 25 years?
  • Don't want to drive their buses and fans so far into a residential neighborhood and then have no place to park?
  • Possibility of losing to a lower classification?
  • Playing a team and fan base that is racially so different than theirs?
  • Band that dances in the stands?
  • Poor facilities?

in my years of watching Rivercrest with my son playing varsity football and basketball, I've always enjoyed coming to CVille to watch the games. Looking forward to being there this basketball season. Racial profiling might give CVille a bad rap causing smaller schools not to want to play there. And that would be there loss not Cvills