I drove to Athens, Texas today..........

I have that card, but it's not signed. I also have his 1972 card that is considered a Rookie card ???? I like the 1978 card at the old practice field on Yale and North Central Expressway that had the Days Inn in the background. I never stayed at that Days Inn, but my brother did because of a tournament.

1972 Topps is his Rookie Card

I still don't know why it's his rookie card, he'd been in the NFL since 1969. He only passed for 98 yards that year, because of injury in 1972. I also have Tony Dorsett's rookie card, but it's not worth 1/10th as much as Roger's.

Michael Jordan's rookie card is considered to be the 86-87 year when he was drafted in 1984.

I quit collecting cards in the 80's except the old cards, and Dallas Cowboys complete sets. I've seen several cards at card shops that are virtually defunct where they had their college cards. I haven't been in a card shop since 2002, because the one's I knew of went out of business.

I got to meet Roger when I was four years old at the old Muffler and Custom shop on West Erwin st. The building is owned now by Dunn's Transmission. I remember that I got his autograph. I wish I knew what happened to it. The greatest Cowboy player ever. Romo may have better stats but he shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as Roger Staubach.

Uh... probably because it is his FIRST football card :P

It's "rookie card", not "rookie season card" :lol:

Well they messed that one up. I need to find the picture of me and Walt Garrison at the Sears on Green St. in Longview. He was the first Cowboy that I met. I think the Old Sears is now a part of Kilgore College, it was across the street from Paul's Photography.

Back in the day, card companies didn't create a card for every player, just the ones who were league stars or, at least, contributing well-known starters.

Among pro athletes, getting your first card was something of a sign of status. Not a big deal, but a milestone nonetheless. Unless you were a heralded rookie expected to do great things right away, you didn't necessarily have a card your first year.

Plenty of HOF players have "rookie cards" that came out their second or third (or later) years in the league.

I got to meet Roger when I was four years old at the old Muffler and Custom shop on West Erwin st. The building is owned now by Dunn's Transmission. I remember that I got his autograph. I wish I knew what happened to it. The greatest Cowboy player ever. Romo may have better stats but he shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as Roger Staubach.

I got that same autograph there, though I was a few years older. I also wish I knew what happened to it.

Back in the day, card companies didn't create a card for every player, just the ones who were league stars or, at least, contributing well-known starters.

Among pro athletes, getting your first card was something of a sign of status. Not a big deal, but a milestone nonetheless. Unless you were a heralded rookie expected to do great things right away, you didn't necessarily have a card your first year.

Plenty of HOF players have "rookie cards" that came out their second or third (or later) years in the league.

98 yards passing isn't a coming of age to get a card then.

• 3 weeks later...