⚾ The OFFICIAL Astros 2016/2017 Offseason Thread ⚾

RETIREDFAN1

I liked it. Our little band box has a lot of personality already, but that something special and very different for current standards. Hated the flag pole in play. Either was, there will now be more seats and more home runs. That's what we wanted, right? 🙃

I liked it. Our little band box has a lot of personality already, but that something special and very different for current standards. Hated the flag pole in play. Either was, there will now be more seats and more home runs. That's what we wanted, right?

I'd settle for a real manager and GM..........

Seems like I read all the coaches was rehired. Also Chris Carter hit 41 or 42 HR this year but still batted .223 or something close to that. I wonder if we should have kept him we had plenty of people hitting I that range that couldn't hit the HR that often

The Houston Astros were quiet at this year's trade deadline, but that likely won't be the case this offseason.

rumorcentral_16x9_203x114.pngAt the team's year-end press conference on Monday, general manager Jeff Luhnow said team owner Jim Crane is open to an "increase in payroll'" and the organization is "going to have the resources to go out and sign some players,"according to tweets from Brian T. Smith of the Houston Chronicle.

ESPN's Jim Bowden writesin.gif that the Astros "will be open to free-agent options and are willing to listen to trade offers on all of their top prospects to make deals for the players that fit their positional needs" for an outfielder, a catcher and a starting pitcher after falling short of expectations in 2016. Houston made the postseason as a wild-card in 2015 and was expected to contend for the AL West title this season, but was eliminated from the AL wild-card race in the final week of the season.

Bowden writes the Astros will part ways with impending free agent Colby Rasmus and are likely to look outside the organization for an impact bat in the outfield. They'll also be searching for a catcher who can provide more offense. Bowden identifies free agents Matt Wieters and Wilson Ramos as possibilities, but also mentions the possibility of a trade with the New York Yankees for Brian McCann.

Houston will be in the market for starting pitching as well, looking for another hurler after down years from Lance McCullers and Dallas Keuchel, who both battled injuries this season. That was a major reason why the Astros didn't make the playoffs, Bowden writes.

This is the scariest offseason for me. With the plans to trade and spend, this is an all or nothing run from the front office. We will lose a lot of key prospects, and our history doesn't have the best track record there...

Time to win is now........patience is wearing thin on developing prospects........do like the Marlins and BUY a World Series ..........

Time to win is now........patience is wearing thin on developing prospects........do like the Marlins and BUY a World Series ..........

That's the problem, when has Lunhow shown the ability to spot the talent needed to win a World Series? Why give up stellar prospects for a guy that isn't going to perform to expectations (Giles, Gomez, Fiers, etc.)?

We have a core with Altuve, Bregman, Springer, and Correa. The Cuban doesn't seem like his is going to be a bad fit. Unfortunately, there are holes everywhere else. I think we are about to sell the farm for underachievers again...

That's the problem, when has Lunhow shown the ability to spot the talent needed to win a World Series? Why give up stellar prospects for a guy that isn't going to perform to expectations (Giles, Gomez, Fiers, etc.)?

Exactly the reason Looneyhow needs to get the axe........

Other than a rough start Giles was great. He's still VERY young. He's a keeper

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...