Clarksville Blue Tigers

SwipeRight

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd start by scheduling some non district games you could win. Kids don't quit when your winning and having fun.

What do you think the cancer is?

A few wins early would help. As far as the city of CV there is just nothing to keep people there. Retail won't pay the bills. There are a few of my generation left but very few. Those own businesses are farm or ranch outside of town. There are some that commute to other areas to work and stay in town. The biggest employer in Cville may well be the federal gov't. Just a guess

Clarksville during the Manley years were really turning the reputation of Clarksville football. Went from just a basketball town to producing really good and successful football teams while basketball was going through their down years.. They need a new face to that program if they want some change..

This is pretty much how feel about DeKalb. Remember DK/C'ville used to have good rivalry

When was the last time they even had a JV? If they do now then it is a recent change

Only had one JH team for at least a couple of years too.

Kind of hard to build a football program when you only have 40 kids out 9-12.

If I remember correctly Mart has around 40 (someone correct me if I'm wrong); I know they only suit up 20 for varsity. Goldthwaite has 35 total for 9th - 12th. We have 43 total, suit up 21 for varsity and had a few injuries already. We're all doing good and are all Div1 schools. I wouldn't think 40 is all that bad for a Div2 school.

The point I'm trying to make is that, yes numbers matter to a point; but the coaching, athletes, discipline, execution and attitude of the program as a whole count for more. IMHO.

We played CV in the 2nd round last year. They seemed to have some exceptional athletes in terms of speed and agility, more than our team had. But their play was very undisciplined. Poor tackling technique, lots of missed blocking assignments, bad reads on D, couldn't shed our blockers, spent more effort going for the ball than tackling the ball carrier.

That's my $0.02

Having coached with Coach D years ago, I believe he has the best interest in the kids and the program at heart. Yes, he expect and demand a lot from his staff and his players. As far as the college comment, he and his staff have coached student-athletes that have went on the college and have successful college careers. As of right now that I know of, there is one that play Pro Football, one at Texas Tech, one at North Texas, and one at SFA.

Do school go through some rough patches or seasons, yes they do. That is at all levels. Therefore, I am not sure you can blame the coach or even the players for a down season. For one, if you are not in the day to day work with these student-athletes, you don't know the status of the team. Team go through injuries and other circumstances that are out of the coaches and players hands.

For example, there is a team in West Texas who went 2-8 last year, missed the playoffs and this year are currently undefeated. Same coach (that has been there for years and had successful teams), and same kids. But what you don't know is that last year, the team lost there top 2 players at the beginning of the season to injuries that happen on the field of play and was out of the coaches hands.

If you also remember, back in '08 & '09 the Blue Tigers had a very young team. Then in '10 & '11 season, they were very successful. Then you also got to look at the dynamics of the community and the school. I know that community of Clarksville has lost population, not only in the number of students, but also in the numbers of citizen in the town itself. Therefore if you the jobs to bring in the people, it sometime hard to keep the student population at a level where you have the numbers.

So, there is a lot of mitigating circumstances that some people just don't understand.

Now, back to Coach D. He not only a great coach, he is a great person. I have know Coach D for years now and if there ever was a chance to work for him again, I would enjoy that opportunity. I have learn a lot and model a lot of what I do from him.

CoachingForLife

Cville has a top notch football coach. I however don't know if he is having to paddle upstream

I wouldn't go that far as to say top notch.. if that was the case they'd have better results and not a bunch of goose eggs against good teams. I've watched this program fall further and further every year and now i think it's at its breaking point. The cancer is the head coach, what program you kno have as much coaching turnover as cville??? Top notch coaches don't have that..

I wouldn't go that far as to say top notch.. if that was the case they'd have better results and not a bunch of goose eggs against good teams. I've watched this program fall further and further every year and now i think it's at its breaking point. The cancer is the head coach, what program you kno have as much coaching turnover as cville??? Top notch coaches don't have that..

Pay is not great in C-ville. I know for a fact Davis tried to bring in an OC a few years back. Supt told the coach he had the job and would be approved by the board at the June board meeting. Instead of hiring the coach, they decided to cut Davis football staff by 1 coach. This is when he had Turner as the DC, the football staff would have had 3 coaches who know their stuff. Admin has to support the AD in bringing in quality guys.

Pay is not great in C-ville. I know for a fact Davis tried to bring in an OC a few years back. Supt told the coach he had the job and would be approved by the board at the June board meeting. Instead of hiring the coach, they decided to cut Davis football staff by 1 coach. This is when he had Turner as the DC, the football staff would have had 3 coaches who know their stuff. Admin has to support the AD in bringing in quality guys.

Bingo!!! The problem is definitely not Coach D. When your hands are tied by administration you don't have a prayer.

My only thought is that this program is going to be worse next year. The QB is a senior right? So who takes over there? As well as I believe at least 2 off the main player have talked about transferring to different schools like paris and the one that came from paris wants to go back. So very worried about this program next year