The Official 2016/2017 Rangers Offseason

Stoney

Early needs for Rangers.

1. Starting Pitching- Top 2 when on are the best in the AL. 3-5 are serviceable during the season. Playoffs another story.

2. Andrus, Profar or Odor. Figure out if your keeping all three or moving one.

3. Are you keeping Gallo and Profar?

4. Are you bringing back Moreland, Desmond, Gomez?

This may come as a surprise to everyone but our #1 priority has to be starting pitching.

With the pieces JD added without giving up Profar and Gallo I'm going all in on a starter. Profar and Gallo are either a part of this team next year or they are getting moved to add a starter. Gerritt Cole of Pittsburgh, Chris Sale. I'm swinging for the fences.

With the pieces JD added without giving up Profar and Gallo I'm going all in on a starter. Profar and Gallo are either a part of this team next year or they are getting moved to add a starter. Gerritt Cole of Pittsburgh, Chris Sale. I'm swinging for the fences.

Should have took Trevor Bauer from Cleveland before the season when they wanted Tolly Time.

Gallo has to go. He has struck out like his last 15 at bats. To win it all, you have to have 4 lights out starting pitchers. Our 3-5 won't cut it. Bullpen is in good shape. You can't let teams score over 5 runs in the playoffs and expect to win.

• Like 1

I would like a trade with Pittsburgh for a young starter and McCutcheon.

I think Choo DHs and Mazara will be a full time starter. Still 2 open spots in the OF.

1B- Who will it be? Resign Moreland, Rua, Gallo (if not traded), Guzman (think he'll spend the year at Triple A)

Backup catcher- Chirinos or Nicholas?

Starters

Cole Hamels- Ace lost juice at seasons end. Under contract thru 2018 with team option for 2019.

Yu Darvish- First year back from injury. Last year of a very team friendly deal.

Martin Perez- Good at home, average on road. Signed thru 2017 with options thru 2020.

Colby Lewis- Free agent

Derek Holland- has a $1.5m buyout & $11m club option for 2017, $1m and $11.5m club option for 2018

AJ Griffin- free agent

Bullpen

Tony Barnette- signed thru 2017 with option for 2018

Matt Bush- free agent/arbitration

Alex Claudio- free agent/arbitration

Jake Diekman- free agent/arbitration

Sam Dyson- free agent/arbitration

Jeremy Jeffress- free agent/arbitration

Keone Kela- free agent/arbitration

Shawn Tolleson- free agent/arbitration

Tanner Scheppers- free agent/arbitration

Catchers

Robinson Chirinos- free agent

Jonathan Lucroy- 2017 club option for a legitimate starting catcher

Infield-

Elvis Andrus- Career highs across the board. Deal thru 2022 with option for 2023.

Adrian Beltre- Captain still has the range and bat. 2 year extension thru 2018.

Mitch Moreland- Free agent

Rougned Odor- free agent/arbitration

Jurickson Profar-free agent/arbitration

Joey Gallo- free agent/arbitration

Outfield

Shin-Soo Choo- Injury plagued year. Under contract thru 2020.

Ian Desmond- Free agent

Carlos Gomez- Free agent

Jared Hoying-free agent/arbitration

Nomar Mazara- free agent/arbitration

Ryan Rua- free agent/arbitration

Carlos Beltran- Veteran will be a free agent.

Delino DeShields Jr- free agent/arbitration

Starters

Cole Hamels- Ace lost juice at seasons end. Under contract thru 2018 with team option for 2019.

Yu Darvish- First year back from injury. Last year of a very team friendly deal.

Martin Perez- Good at home, average on road. Signed thru 2017 with options thru 2020.

Colby Lewis- Free agent

Derek Holland- has a $1.5m buyout & $11m club option for 2017, $1m and $11.5m club option for 2018

AJ Griffin- free agent

Hamels and Darvish are safe. Unless you deal Darvish due to not being able to re-sign him to a deal. Perez should be on the staff. Do you bring back Colby on another one year deal to be a innings eater and hope he stays healthy? He had a stretch where he was a very good borderline #3. Do you get younger instead? That $11m option for Holland is rough. Lost velocity made the comeback hard. If you wanna take that risk he rebounds you can. I'm gonna move on from Dutch. AJ Griffin was another JD reclamation project. Had his moments. Just couldn't make it to the 5th most of the time. Rangers have Yohander Mendez, Brett Martin and Jose Leclerc in the farm system. They are still a couple years away.

Rangers need to upgrade the starters. A solid to great piece would be huge. Gerritt Cole could be on the market. Chris Sale is out there. The Rangers kicked the tires on the Velasquez kid from Philly. JD gets that third piece 4&5 should work themselves out.

Bullpen

Tony Barnette- signed thru 2017 with option for 2018

Matt Bush- free agent/arbitration

Alex Claudio- free agent/arbitration

Jake Diekman- free agent/arbitration

Sam Dyson- free agent/arbitration

Jeremy Jeffress- free agent/arbitration

Keone Kela- free agent/arbitration

Shawn Tolleson- free agent/arbitration

Tanner Scheppers- free agent/arbitration

Bullpen was up and down. Things settled down when Dyson became the closer. Alex Claudio showed some potential as a long lefty reliever. Matt Bush had moments when him, Diekman and Dyson were a tough 7,8,9. Counselors saw more of Jeffress than Ranger fans did. Kela gave a nice lift when he came back from injury. Wouldn't hurt my feelings if they added a piece or two to the bullpen.

Catchers

Robinson Chirinos- free agent

Jonathan Lucroy- 2017 club option for a legitimate starting catcher

Rangers are set here. As good as Lucroy was with the bat he was probably better behind the plate. No way his option doesn't get picked up. I'd be more than okay with Chirinos backing him up.

Infield-

Elvis Andrus- Career highs across the board. Deal thru 2022 with option for 2023.

Adrian Beltre- Captain still has the range and bat. 2 year extension thru 2018.

Mitch Moreland- Free agent

Rougned Odor- free agent/arbitration

Jurickson Profar-free agent/arbitration

Joey Gallo- free agent/arbitration

The most set and most likely to be upset. Prince's retirement helps put a little more money into JD's piggy bank. How much does he spend here? 1B is the most obvious position to start with. Do you keep Moreland? If you don't Gallo almost has to be called up to fill that left handed power void. Unless you deal Gallo for a starter. Rougned Odor already turned down a pre arbitration contract extension. 33 homers for a second baseman ain't shabby. Would you rather have that in the lineup or Profar? Do you find someone to take Andrus when it looks like he's hitting his prime? Allows Profar to move to SS and you have a young combo for the next couple years. Are you packaging Profar in a deal with Gallo for a starter? Beltre at 37 showed he still has it at 3B and at the plate. The potential is there for one of these bats to slide into the DH role as well.

Outfield

Shin-Soo Choo- Injury plagued year. Under contract thru 2020.

Ian Desmond- Free agent

Carlos Gomez- Free agent

Jared Hoying-free agent/arbitration

Nomar Mazara- free agent/arbitration

Ryan Rua- free agent/arbitration

Carlos Beltran- Veteran will be a free agent.

Delino DeShields Jr- free agent/arbitration

Another place that could be stable or could be open to moves. Nomar Mazara in a ROY season proved he's the future. Question is it in RF or LF? Choo when healthy showed what he can bring to this team leading off. I'd rather have him in that role producing than playing RF. That locks down RF and DH with some flex. LF? Do you think a off-season of work can get Carlos Gomez back on track. All Star level talent but bad habits in Houston eventually wore out his welcome. If JD is willing to take that chance your corner outfielders should be set. Ryan Rua and Jared Hoying along with Delino DeShields JR bring enough flex and versatility to be 4th outfield options. Alright now comes the biggest question. Do you bring back Desmond? He bet on himself signing that 1year/$8m deal and he struck big. Do you pay him? If you don't who takes over center? Gomez? Do you move Profar to LF? Andrew McCutcheon is on the block. How much is he gonna cost in a trade? If you let him walk do you re-sign Carlos Beltran to DH and play some OF?

Plan A "The Stand Pat Route"

Pitching- I pick up the option on Derek Holland. I let AJ Griffin walk. I sign Colby Lewis to a 1 year deal. Hamels, Darvish, Perez, Holland and Lewis are my starters. I bring back the bullpen as is except for Tolleson. I let him walk.

Infield- I pick the option up on Lucroy. I re-sign Moreland to become the everyday first baseman. Odor at second. Andrus at short. Before at third. Profar stays in the Super Sub role. Gallo stays at AAA getting ab's.

Outfield- Mazara and Choo handle RF. I sign Ian Desmond to a new 5 year deal/$90-100m. Carlos Gomez signs to a 1 year incentive laden deal. Rua, Hoying or DeShields handle the backup roles.

Ian Desmond is your big free agent get. Holland, Lewis and Darvish a year removed from injuries. A full year of Lucroy and Gomez. Good enough to win the the West barring injuries.

Plan B "The All In in '17"

Pitching- I decline Holland's option. Gives me $10m to play with. I let Colby walk. I package Profar and Gallo and several prospects to Chicago for Chris Sale. Gives me Hamels, Darvish and Sale. Sale will replace Darvish when he leaves at the end of the season for a $300m deal with Boston. Perez becomes my 4. That $10m plus what I get for Prince retiring I'm either investing in a starter or a bullpen arm. I'm going after Jeremy Hellickson on a multi year deal or Aroldis Chapman on a one year deal. Chapman takes over the closer allowing Dyson, Bush and Diekman to become a very good 7,8,9 weapon.

Infield- Lucroy's option gets picked up. I resign Moreland.. Odor, Andrus and Beltre hold the fort.

Outfield- Mazara and Choo handle RF/DH chores. I bring back Gomez on a year incentive laden contract. I sign Desmond to a 1 year $18m deal. I bring back Beltran to provide a big bat off the bench.

Plan C "The Youth Movement"

Pitching- I pickup Holland's option. I let Colby walk. Hamels, Darvish, Perez and Holland are my top 4. My 5th is either AJ Griffin, Nick Martinez, Chi Chi Gonzalez or another JD reclamation project. Bullpen gets rid of Tolleson.

Infield- Lucroy's back. Moreland is let go. Gallo takes over first. Odor, Andrus and Beltre round it out.

Outfield- Jurickson Profar makes the move to LF. Carlos Gomez moves to CF. Ian Desmond walks to save money to re-sign Darvish. Choo becomes the full time DH. Mazara is the new cornerstone right fielder. Carlos Beltran takes over the fill in OF/DH spot.