The Official 2016/2017 Rangers Offseason

Stoney

T.R. Sullivan-Rangers have signed 1B James Loney to a Minor League contract...Official announcement pending....Jon @JonHeyman first with the news

If/when they sign Nap and Loney makes the club that should be a solid platoon. Loney won't hit 20 homers but he's a good fielder with gap power/average.

• 1 month later...

That's pretty sad some folks don't know when to hang it up.

Athletes just have a hard time adjusting to the decline on their body. Especially the bigger muscled up guys. People like Hamilton, Bonds, Canseco, McGuire... when the muscles start to decline due to them reaching their max potential in their sport, its very hard for them to be the weaker player. They spent their entire career being the home run guy and when they can't do it anymore, their minds won't adjust to the singles and doubles. Hamilton still has the hand eye coordination, but he just doesn't know his limitations.

He might be one of the greatest "what if" stories in baseball. Along with Ken Griffey Jr. For everything that they both accomplished, what could they have done to the record books if the had stayed clean / healthy? Mav, you might have more insight to this but just based on life experiences I believe heavy drug abuse like Hamilton had accelerates the "breakdown" process of the human body later in life. I think that has a lot to do with Hamilton's decline the last several years.

He might be one of the greatest "what if" stories in baseball. Along with Ken Griffey Jr. For everything that they both accomplished, what could they have done to the record books if the had stayed clean / healthy? Mav, you might have more insight to this but just based on life experiences I believe heavy drug abuse like Hamilton had accelerates the "breakdown" process of the human body later in life. I think that has a lot to do with Hamilton's decline the last several years.

It definitely could have but certain drugs are actually performance enhancers. Crack and Cocaine could give a crazy boost to speed, pain tolerance etc. but doubt it helps that much in baseball due to the sports relying mostly on hand eye coordination.

• 3 weeks later...

Chi Chi Gonzalez out 3 months with partial tear in his elbow. The 4&5 starters just find a way to disappoint.

I'm really hoping to not see a Nick Martinez sighting as a starter. Brings back flashbacks of seeing Mark Clark and Dave Burba as starters with some John Wasdin sprinkled in.

How are you feeling about this year's team Stoneykelly?

I think we'll be a solid team but only go as far as our starters will take us. We should be a top 2 team in the West easy. I'll be curious to see what happens if things start to tailspin. Do you become big time sellers? Darvish and Lucroy might be trade bait.

I know the boys will hit. Like having Napoli back. It'll be fun watching Beltre chase 3,000 hits. Can Odor improve on a incredible sophomore year?

Deikan being out kinda worries me about the bullpen but they did get it together after the All Star break. A healthy Darvish and Hamels are as good a 1-2 as anybody. 3,4,5 are a different story. Perez is great at home. Awful away. If he can find the consistency I'd feel a lot better. Cashner, Chi Chi, Martinez, Tyson, David Clyde, Bobby Witt, who is filling that 4th and 5th spot?