Week Nine: Longview vs John Tyler

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (6-1) vs John Tyler Lions (6-1)  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • John Tyler in a close one
    • John Tyler in a blow out

So..

This game is:

1. Great American Rivalry Series GOTW

2. FSSW Texas DQ Big Game Of The Week

3. DCTF Game Of The Week

Pretty sure the local outlets have it is GOTW as well.

Safe to say there will be cameras everywhere, shaping up to be even bigger than that 05 matchup.

Same outcome. Lobos by 24.

So..

This game is:

1. Great American Rivalry Series GOTW

2. FSSW Texas DQ Big Game Of The Week

3. DCTF Game Of The Week

Pretty sure the local outlets have it is GOTW as well.

Safe to say there will be cameras everywhere, shaping up to be even bigger than that 05 matchup.

You sitting on the East side or the West side?

That JT team looks loaded with athletes, as they always are. Should be a fun one to watch.

I dunno... I just don't see JT as the bitter rivals the way I do other teams. Might be because in my 4 years at LHS they were just so down. We beat them 3 times as Freshman, twice as Sophomores, twice as Juniors, and once as Seniors. And after that first year (where the scores were relatively close), none of the games were a blip on the radar. And of course our Varsity beat them those first years too, although one or two of those games were kinda close.

That JT team looks loaded with athletes, as they always are. Should be a fun one to watch.

I dunno... I just don't see JT as the bitter rivals the way I do other teams. Might be because in my 4 years at LHS they were just so down. We beat them 3 times as Freshman, twice as Sophomores, twice as Juniors, and once as Seniors. And after that first year (where the scores were relatively close), none of the games were a blip on the radar. And of course our Varsity beat them those first years too, although one or two of those games were kinda close.

I get that. Longview is a rival of JT only because of her close proximity and how many times they played each other lead is JT's biggest rival.

I get that. Longview is a rival of JT only because of her close proximity and how many times they played each other lead is JT's biggest rival.

Right. It's like Marshall and the other East Texas schools... All of them are "rivals" just based on the locations of the teams and the fact that we've played most of them since the 1910s and 1920s. I remember there was an article where Lobo fans were saying their biggest win when they were in school was when they beat JT who was really good. A lot of the players from the 1997 team consider the win in Tyler the best win other than the Killeen Ellison (ranked #10 nationally) game.

Again, I guess the hate isn't there for me because I just felt bad for JT, especially in 2004. There weren't many fans on the JT side (go figure, when the team was 1-8) and Kendall Hunter passed the 1000 yard mark on the season... Even the Lobo fans applauded him because there just weren't people in the stands to cheer for them. That all changed a year later when JT got really good, though. They had fans in droves at Lobo Stadium for the big game that sadly never materialized. I feel the same way about Marshall... After our Freshman year, the game was just never close so it's hard to really get up for the "rivalry". Lufkin and Lee were the big ones that gave us fits those years so there's more "hate" there.

3 of my cousins played for those bad teams up until the other coach came and the youngest one played with some the playoff teams I tell u it was hard to watch those games I'd never seen rose stadium so dead at a jt game but I still went to all home games

You're a true fan.

Again, I always say I'm personally GLAD JT is back as a strong team. I feel like the Longview vs JT rivalry needs to be a good game. In 2006 and 2007 there were some good games. And in 2003 JT should've beaten Longview. Same with 2007. When two historic programs loaded with athletes and talent go at it, it should always be a good game. Throw in the hype and district title implications and you've got one of the biggest regular season games in recent memory for us.

Never fun to watch kids play their hearts out and 20 parents in the stands. I'll always cheer for them and say good play when they do something good... They pay the price on the field and they deserve that..

True. And I'm glad Kendall Hunter got to play in front of packed houses the next year. When JT played Lee, it was full to the brim. So was the Longview JT game.

Right. It's like Marshall and the other East Texas schools... All of them are "rivals" just based on the locations of the teams and the fact that we've played most of them since the 1910s and 1920s. I remember there was an article where Lobo fans were saying their biggest win when they were in school was when they beat JT who was really good. A lot of the players from the 1997 team consider the win in Tyler the best win other than the Killeen Ellison (ranked #10 nationally) game.

Again, I guess the hate isn't there for me because I just felt bad for JT, especially in 2004. There weren't many fans on the JT side (go figure, when the team was 1-8) and Kendall Hunter passed the 1000 yard mark on the season... Even the Lobo fans applauded him because there just weren't people in the stands to cheer for them. That all changed a year later when JT got really good, though. They had fans in droves at Lobo Stadium for the big game that sadly never materialized. I feel the same way about Marshall... After our Freshman year, the game was just never close so it's hard to really get up for the "rivalry". Lufkin and Lee were the big ones that gave us fits those years so there's more "hate" there.

I was living in Wisconsin. Then they are having their bad seasons. I moved back in September of 07.