Week Nine: Longview vs John Tyler

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (6-1) vs John Tyler Lions (6-1)  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • John Tyler in a close one
    • John Tyler in a blow out

JT may very will win this game, but I don't see how Longview could give up 60. Maybe I'm wrong.

not with the ball control offense you guys run, can't see 60...but im hoping for the W. Nervous about it being in Longview...probably one of the toughest places to win a game in the state.

As a Lufkin fan I want Longview to win. I think stylistically they can't exploit out major weakness in the postseason like John Tyler could. Unfortunately I think John Tyler beats Longview. Give me John Tyler by 14. I think they have to much fire power offensively. Which then they turn around and abuse Lufkin in the playoffs.

60!!!!......I will buy you a pair of gucci shades if they score 60.

Im not sure if the Lobos have every allowed 60 points in a game.

I can just about guarantee you, THIS group would PROBABLY be the first to allow it. I Hope it has to do more with youth and inexperience than heart and determination. I mean, along with our very, soft defense as a whole culminated with our inability to keep containment on mobile quarterbacks such as Bryson Smith, leaves a lot to be desired.

I personally, think we're way up doo-doo creek and believe you me, there isn't a paddle in sight. Also, offensively I see us targeting Timberlake a little too much. One game this year (Mesquite Horn I Believe), we were hitting on all cylinders and incorporating multiple receivers, backs and tight ends in our passing game.

We've had a BAD tendency to play lights out for one half and allow the opponents to gain momentum in the second half. By that time, it's hard to turn that switch back on mentally and zone back into what we were able to get accomplished in the first halves of games this year.

Personally speaking.......I would never put myself in a position to possibly eat more crow than necessary. With that said, I would never comment on "we are going to put 60 on JT", "JT will NEVER put 60 on us", "I guaranty that JT can't win in Lobo Stadium", etc., etc., etc. Whichever team wins this, is going to expect quite a bit of crow munching, that I am sure.

I will say, that my Lobos will play to win this game, no one wants to lose at home, with a possible district championship on the line. A Lobo win against ANY JT team, is a HUGE victory. I am excited, nervous and alot of other things that I cannot say here, but rest assured that we are ready!!! I am TRYING to "enjoy the journey"!!!

#LOBOPROUD #BEATJT

GO LOBOS!!!!

• Like 1

Personally speaking.......I would never put myself in a position to possibly eat more crow than necessary. With that said, I would never comment on "we are going to put 60 on JT", "JT will NEVER put 60 on us", "I guaranty that JT can't win in Lobo Stadium", etc., etc., etc. Whichever team wins this, is going to expect quite a bit of crow munching, that I am sure.

I will say, that my Lobos will play to win this game, no one wants to lose at home, with a possible district championship on the line. A Lobo win against ANY JT team, is a HUGE victory. I am excited, nervous and alot of other things that I cannot say here, but rest assured that we are ready!!! I am TRYING to "enjoy the journey"!!!

#LOBOPROUD #BEATJT

GO LOBOS!!!!

Amen to that Sista! Couldn't agree more. If you've watched enough football in your life, you would know that ANYTHING is possible especially when your own team isn't fundamentally sound and disciplined in every aspect of the game and I mean offensively and defensively.

I can just about guarantee you, THIS group would PROBABLY be the first to allow it. I Hope it has to do more with youth and inexperience than heart and determination. I mean, along with our very, soft defense as a whole culminated with our inability to keep containment on mobile quarterbacks such as Bryson Smith, leaves a lot to be desired.

I personally, think we're way up doo-doo creek and believe you me, there isn't a paddle in sight. Also, offensively I see us targeting Timberlake a little too much. One game this year (Mesquite Horn I Believe), we were hitting on all cylinders and incorporating multiple receivers, backs and tight ends in our passing game.

Meh.

Keep in mind that our secondary consists of:

2 sophomores - S Lister and S/LB Starling

2 juniors - CB Harmon and S Andrews

2/3 seniors - S Webster and CB Wilson/Taylor

In which Webster is the only senior that played a significant amount of varsity times over the years. With the inexperience, I couldn't possibly ask more from them. Reason why I never complain about them. Besides, they've dominated at least a half of every game this season. Only real thing they have to work on is not giving up the big play after playing so well on 1st and 2nd down. Harmon, Webster and Lister have been playing like wild banshees the entire year. Harmon shut down arguably the best receiver in the district a few weeks back, Rockwall's Sam Crawford. Wilson/Taylor (depending on who coach puts in) have both showed their ability to make plays. Wilson has several INT's and Taylor was a PBU king before his injury which pushed Wilson as our other starting CB opposite of Harmon. Believe we got Taylor back this past week. So I have no beef with them.

My only beef about the defense comes from one area, the linebackers. They returned more experience than any other area on the team...yet they have played worse than any other area on the team by letting any and every RB run straight down the middle on them. Easily the worst LB play we have had in John King era. LB has been the weakest area on defense since 2014, maybe 2013 honestly. Pretty much every sack we've gotten this year has come from the defensive line or a blitzing DB. LB's are hardly anywhere to be found. That's why if I was JT, I'd just run right up the middle on us and avoid trying to get too cute.

As for Timberlake, I honestly haven't seen a DB all year that can keep up with the him....he's entirely too fast and open most of the time. The problem? He doesn't always catch it. Lol reminds you of Ted Ginn at Carolina or Will Fuller at Houston. Timberlake is a great player though, very Eric Hawkins like. Him only being a junior makes it all that much better.

#LOBOPROUD #BEATJT

GO LOBOS!!!!

+1, except Go Cujo!!!....lol

We've had a BAD tendency to play lights out for one half and allow the opponents to gain momentum in the second half. By that time, it's hard to turn that switch back on mentally and zone back into what we were able to get accomplished in the first halves of games this year.

I've seen LP this yr, and based on what both teams had coming back this yr, and what I have seen, JT and LP are pretty close on offense, and they didn't put a ton of points on LV at home. Now, it was first game of the yr, but I just can't see it. I guess 40 is a possibility, but I don't know about that either. I do think its going to take at least 30 to beat the Lobos. I just don't think this far into the yr, and with the game being in LV, that 60 points is even a possibility. I just hope JT wins, no matter the score.

Meh.

Keep in mind that our secondary consists of:

2 sophomores - S Lister and S/LB Starling

2 juniors - CB Harmon and S Andrews

2/3 seniors - S Webster and CB Wilson/Taylor

In which Webster is the only senior that played a significant amount of varsity times over the years. With the inexperience, I couldn't possibly ask more from them. Reason why I never complain about them. Besides, they've dominated at least a half of every game this season. Only real thing they have to work on is not giving up the big play after playing so well on 1st and 2nd down. Harmon, Webster and Lister have been playing like wild banshees the entire year. Harmon shut down arguably the best receiver in the district a few weeks back, Rockwall's Sam Crawford. Wilson/Taylor (depending on who coach puts in) have both showed their ability to make plays. Wilson has several INT's and Taylor was a PBU king before his injury which pushed Wilson as our other starting CB opposite of Harmon. Believe we got Taylor back this past week. So I have no beef with them.

My only beef about the defense comes from one area, the linebackers. They returned more experience than any other area on the team...yet they have played worse than any other area on the team by letting any and every RB run straight down the middle on them. Easily the worst LB play we have had in John King era. LB has been the weakest area on defense since 2014, maybe 2013 honestly. Pretty much every sack we've gotten this year has come from the defensive line or a blitzing DB. LB's are hardly anywhere to be found. That's why if I was JT, I'd just run right up the middle on us and avoid trying to get too cute.

As for Timberlake, I honestly haven't seen a DB all year that can keep up with the him....he's entirely too fast and open most of the time. The problem? He doesn't always catch it. Lol reminds you of Ted Ginn at Carolina or Will Fuller at Houston. Timberlake is a great player though, very Eric Hawkins like. Him only being a junior makes it all that much better.

what yr was it when the LB from LV won Def Player of the Yr?

what yr was it when the LB from LV won Def Player of the Yr?

Was it recent?

You must be talking about Lathan. 2010-2012.

Statistically, one of the best LB to ever wear a Lobo uniform. He was so good, despite him being undersized...D1's still took a look at him. Took many junior day visits.

Last truly good LB we've had sadly. LB play use to be a very key component to Lobo defenses until recently. I'm sure the rise of spread offenses have something to do with that but when RB's are running down your throat up the middle at will, something is wrong. And it's been like that since at least 2014.

Was it recent?

You must be talking about Lathan. 2010-2012.

Statistically, one of the best LB to ever wear a Lobo uniform. He was so good, despite him being undersized...D1's still took a look at him. Took many junior day visits.

Last truly good LB we've had sadly. LB play use to be a very key component to Lobo defenses until recently. I'm sure the rise of spread offenses have something to do with that but when RB's are running down your throat up the middle at will, something is wrong. And it's been like that since at least 2014.

yea thats him. I remember reading he was def player of the yr, then I saw his size and I was shocked. I started looking at his highlights. He was good. And he won the award as a Junior (I think)

Must've brought up a bit..

Cause I hear the JV took an uncharacteristic L tonight.

Just saw that. I think it was 21-2 or something like that. Didn't Lobo07 say that the JV hadn't lost a game in a couple of yrs?

I was a little shocked. They played earlier this yr, I think it was two JV games, JV-A and JV-B teams, and Gee said LV smoked JT. I think he said JT had less than 50 total yards.