Week Nine: Longview vs John Tyler

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (6-1) vs John Tyler Lions (6-1)  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • John Tyler in a close one
    • John Tyler in a blow out

From WP4L

Posted 05 August 2016 - 07:44 AM

My final rankings going into the season:

1) North Mesquite
Seems as though I'm the only one giving this team a shot at winning this district and I flat out don't know why. 10-3 a year ago with 13 full time starters returning and up to 18 who started or received alot of playing time last season. They also get Longview and JT at home....and might as well count any game against another MISD school (mainly Horn) as a home game as well.

2) Longview
John King is a district wizard. It's true...the guy has been HC at Longview since 2004 and has won district every single year since then, minus 2012 because of a injury riddled Longview team that still managed to go 3 rounds deep. But yeah...66-4 district record as HC is pure dominance. People are wondering why Longview is getting so much love with only 4 returning starters back and this is why. They're a proven program that brings it each and every year despite returning starters. Take 2010 for example. Moving back up with only 3 returning starters, Longview won district and cruised to the semis. Longview will be Longview.

3) Mesquite Horn
3-5 is the hardest to rank IMO. I mean 1-5 is hard but 3-5 is HARD. Horn certainly doesn't have any favors on their district schedule having to travel to Longview, JT, Rockwall and deal with crosstown rival NM. But I just cannot see Horn led by all everything QB Chris Robison missing the playoffs. Horn will arguably be the most battle tested team of anyone in the district too having to deal with Desoto (scrimmage), Skyline and CHill in predistrict. In fact, they get Skyline, CHILL and Longview in back to back to back weeks. Talk about being battle tested.

4) John Tyler
I wouldnt be surprised to see Rockwall here..but JT gets them at Rose. Also, the most dynamic QB-WR tandem in the district will reside on this squad that returns a bunch. Smith and Miller will get their yardage every single Friday night....you can bet that. In a district full of powerful offenses, I think JT will go as far as their defense takes them. Defense will be key in this district. They have players on that side of the ball but will it translate on the field? We'll see.

1) North Mesquite

Seems as though I'm the only one giving this team a shot at winning this district and I flat out don't know why. 10-3 a year ago with 13 full time starters returning and up to 18 who started or received alot of playing time last season. They also get Longview and JT at home....and might as well count any game against another MISD school (mainly Horn) as a home game as well.

2) Longview

John King is a district wizard. It's true...the guy has been HC at Longview since 2004 and has won district every single year since then, minus 2012 because of a injury riddled Longview team that still managed to go 3 rounds deep. But yeah...66-4 district record as HC is pure dominance. People are wondering why Longview is getting so much love with only 4 returning starters back and this is why. They're a proven program that brings it each and every year despite returning starters. Take 2010 for example. Moving back up with only 3 returning starters, Longview won district and cruised to the semis. Longview will be Longview.

3) Mesquite Horn

3-5 is the hardest to rank IMO. I mean 1-5 is hard but 3-5 is HARD. Horn certainly doesn't have any favors on their district schedule having to travel to Longview, JT, Rockwall and deal with crosstown rival NM. But I just cannot see Horn led by all everything QB Chris Robison missing the playoffs. Horn will arguably be the most battle tested team of anyone in the district too having to deal with Desoto (scrimmage), Skyline and CHill in predistrict. In fact, they get Skyline, CHILL and Longview in back to back to back weeks. Talk about being battle tested.

4) John Tyler

I wouldnt be surprised to see Rockwall here..but JT gets them at Rose. Also, the most dynamic QB-WR tandem in the district will reside on this squad that returns a bunch. Smith and Miller will get their yardage every single Friday night....you can bet that. In a district full of powerful offenses, I think JT will go as far as their defense takes them. Defense will be key in this district. They have players on that side of the ball but will it translate on the field? We'll see.

1) North Mesquite

2) Longview

3) Mesquite Horn

4) John Tyler

Look at everyone's preseason ranking prior to the season..

DCTF, FNF, whoever. NO ONE is ever 100% right at the end of the season.

from WP4L:

Posted 23 July 2016 - 08:36 PM

You can't change history....or true tradition.

Moral of the story, returning starters don't always automatically mean you'll kill everyone.

Whose your HC? How'd subvarsity teams do? How consistent is your program on a yearly basis? Etc.

I don't really put as much stock into returning starters as the things above UNLESS said team won at least 10 games the year before.

They're not ranking Katy (8 returning starters) top 3 for nothing...

WP4L, on 21 Sept 2016 - 11:32 AM, said:snapback.png

No one outside of north tyler thought the same. Playoff team? Possibly...1st or 2nd in district? At least prove yourself 1st. Returning starters isn't going to automatically win you a bunch of games. Look at Marshall. Hell, we just beat a team with 11 starters back and we only had 4. lol