Gilmer @ Spring Hill

SHillBuckeye

Looked like Gilmer was working on some things offensively. That was probably the most they ran all year. Passing game was so-so, seemed out of sync as Gilmer never really threw the long pass. I think Gilmer played down tonight offensively. The Panthers D came to play in the first half for sure, so nice to see the aggressiveness. Bonehead decisions on SH players to throw punches, but not surprised either. SH coaches wined and complained about every single play it seemed. Glad Gilmer had an off night offensively, I was expecting 70!

Spring Hill defense played safeties really deep, keeping everything in front of them. So Gilmer had to figure out how to run the safety deep with a clear out pattern and then hit the underneath receiver. Gilmer's passing game struggles with the deep zone at times. But I thought Poppy did a good job of checking down to a secondary receiver when his first option was covered.

Gilmer didn't match Spring Hill's intensity to start the game. It took a half of football before they started to play with a sense of purpose.

quote name="metalhead10" post="2453480" timestamp="1477275546"]

I agree that Traylor was over the top and out of hand at times. He should have been flagged many times and wasn't. All the antics of Traylor during his 15 years at Gilmer don't even come close to the classless behavior of the Spring Hill coach this past Friday.

Spring Hill has a reputation going back 3 decades of playing and acting the way they did against the Buckeyes. The Panthers didn't "stand up" to anyone, they were just being who they were raised to be, arrogant, classless, and privileged jerks.

This is just speculation on my part, but I think those 76 - 0 type games Gilmer put on Spring Hill were a direct result of the conduct of the Spring Hill players, not only on Friday night, but on Thursday night as well.

Anymore Gilmer / Spring Hill discussion needs to go to the Gilmer vs. Spring Hill thread.

METALHEAD

I haven't seen any of this and I've been associated with Spring Hill both for and against for the past 25 plus years.

Please elaborate on these ideas. What did SH coach do that was classless?

What makes you think SH players are or are raised to be classless arrogant privileged jerks?

What do you really think?

Show us on the doll where the Panthers hurt you.

It's OK you are welcome here now.

my take on the game. i thought SH played very well in the 1st half. could have been tied at the half but turnovers hurt. i'm sure Gilmer started out a little flat because of a letdown from the GW game and the Yamboree going on.

as far as the extra stuff going on after the plays i honestly did not see what started it nor do i really care but as they say it takes two to tango

Spring Hill boys play hard too. I've been associated with them for years too. I guess people think because they don't win much, there supposed to lay down and let opponents roll over them. Hey, they start workouts in the summer the same time as everyone else. They practice for hours just like everyone else. They play football 4 quarters every Friday night. They seem to come up short repeatedly, but they don't give up. During my kids seasons, sometimes a good competitive game felt like a victory. Just because there down several touchdowns, doesn't mean there not going to punch you in the mouth when they have a chance. A coach showing out a little sometimes keeps the fire going. It doesn't always mean classless. Spring Hill has small numbers and has had a rough time for several years competing. Coaches come and go right and left. Through all of this, the kids keep on playing hard and hoping to turn the corner. I don't live there anymore, and have been around East Texas all of my life. I can tell you, Spring Hill is no different than any other place. The people are the same there as in any other town. They want to win too, just haven't had the right cards for a while. Its not right or fair for someone outside to come on here and bash the team, fans or parents when they have no clue what they are saying. Some of these comments I see on here from time to time are bad.

• Like 1

Personally, I kinda feel for the Spring Hill kids. Year in year out, they get put into districts where they are one of, if not the smallest school in the district. And a few of the other schools seem to be perennial powerhouses. Look, I have lived in Gilmer all my life,,, I'm a BIG,,,(BornInGilmer). Each year there are fewer and fewer BIG's. We have had an exceptional string of years of really good football up here. Spring Hill on the other hand, hasn't had that experience, and I remember back before JT came to Gilmer, we had lots of years where we didn't have great success either. But I've known several folks from SH. And they were good decent hard working people. One thing I will say about the Panthers is, they are a lot like the Buckeyes in the fact that they play us hard, and never quit. I am certain that they get really tired of giving their best, and still finishing down in the district standings. They want to win just like the Buckeyes or the Bears, or Atlanta does. And they play that way. I didn't get to go to the game last night, but I did listen online, and it sounded like there was a lot of intensity from the SH kids. That's good,,, I'm glad they fought hard, and played us that way. I personally think that as fans of the game, and being from Gilmer, we should recognize when players from other teams play us hard, and do their best. Apparently SH's kids did that Friday night. To the SH kids,, congrats on a hard fought game, and keep playing hard these last two games. Don't hang your heads about a thing,, when you play your best, there is nothing to be sorry about.

• Like 2

Oldbuckeye and blackflag79. Thank you for your honest opinion. Not often seen after such a physical game. It has always been easy for some to give Spring Hill a hard time. We are use to hearing all the same stuff about our school or people and coaches. I'm sure I could take a step back at times also and not respond to accusations from folks that know nothing about us but boy that's soooo hard to do. Good luck to yall and maybe we can get this game back to just a game and not a personal attack on community's.

• Like 1

Oldbuckeye and blackflag79. Thank you for your honest opinion. Not often seen after such a physical game. It has always been easy for some to give Spring Hill a hard time. We are use to hearing all the same stuff about our school or people and coaches. I'm sure I could take a step back at times also and not respond to accusations from folks that know nothing about us but boy that's soooo hard to do. Good luck to yall and maybe we can get this game back to just a game and not a personal attack on community's.

i think in this game particular Gilmer came out a little flat and the SH kids were fired up and hit them in the mouth where they didn't expect it. now that doesn't mean anyone in SH expected to win this game. if anyone said they did they aren't fooling anyone. Gilmer made the necessary halftime adjustments just as i expected they would. i just think the early aggression by the SH team surprised Gilmer and maybe even frustrated some. like i said i don't know what started the extra stuff. we can only speculate but i know when #22 got ejected for SH that pretty much wiped out any chance they had to move the ball. their other RB and fastest one didn't play a down due to injury. i like seeing SH playing with some fire. it would have been easy to lay down from the very start. the coach even showed some fire in the 1st half or a combination of that and frustration due to losing two of his best players

Personally, I kinda feel for the Spring Hill kids. Year in year out, they get put into districts where they are one of, if not the smallest school in the district. And a few of the other schools seem to be perennial powerhouses. Look, I have lived in Gilmer all my life,,, I'm a BIG,,,(BornInGilmer). Each year there are fewer and fewer BIG's. We have had an exceptional string of years of really good football up here. Spring Hill on the other hand, hasn't had that experience, and I remember back before JT came to Gilmer, we had lots of years where we didn't have great success either. But I've known several folks from SH. And they were good decent hard working people. One thing I will say about the Panthers is, they are a lot like the Buckeyes in the fact that they play us hard, and never quit. I am certain that they get really tired of giving their best, and still finishing down in the district standings. They want to win just like the Buckeyes or the Bears, or Atlanta does. And they play that way. I didn't get to go to the game last night, but I did listen online, and it sounded like there was a lot of intensity from the SH kids. That's good,,, I'm glad they fought hard, and played us that way. I personally think that as fans of the game, and being from Gilmer, we should recognize when players from other teams play us hard, and do their best. Apparently SH's kids did that Friday night. To the SH kids,, congrats on a hard fought game, and keep playing hard these last two games. Don't hang your heads about a thing,, when you play your best, there is nothing to be sorry about.

Great back up post sir! I've been to many buckeye games over the years, and there just like any others. They like to win, and have been blessed for many years.

you might want to look at why coaches come and go right and left

I know why! Do you?

quote name="metalhead10" post="2453480" timestamp="1477275546"]

I agree that Traylor was over the top and out of hand at times. He should have been flagged many times and wasn't. All the antics of Traylor during his 15 years at Gilmer don't even come close to the classless behavior of the Spring Hill coach this past Friday.

Spring Hill has a reputation going back 3 decades of playing and acting the way they did against the Buckeyes. The Panthers didn't "stand up" to anyone, they were just being who they were raised to be, arrogant, classless, and privileged jerks.

This is just speculation on my part, but I think those 76 - 0 type games Gilmer put on Spring Hill were a direct result of the conduct of the Spring Hill players, not only on Friday night, but on Thursday night as well.

Anymore Gilmer / Spring Hill discussion needs to go to the Gilmer vs. Spring Hill thread.

METALHEAD

I haven't seen any of this and I've been associated with Spring Hill both for and against for the past 25 plus years.

Please elaborate on these ideas. What did SH coach do that was classless?

What makes you think SH players are or are raised to be classless arrogant privileged jerks?

What do you really think?

Show us on the doll where the Panthers hurt you.

It's OK you are welcome here now.

Thanks for the welcome, much appreciated.

As far as what the Spring Hill coach did:

1. Antagonizing the Gilmer sideline

2. Antagonizing the Gilmer fans

3. Encouraging the Spring Hill fans to boo the officials

All of the above happened right after the ejection of #22 for Spring Hill.

I will admit I am just speculating that the players are raised to be the way they act on the field. The reason for that speculation is because the players act the same on the field, decade after decade no matter who the coaches are.

I know you said that you have not seen any of the things I mentioned and you have been around the players for 25 years. When I was on the field with Spring Hill players they ran their mouth and had an attitude that was very arrogant and privileged and they instigated the whole game, no matter how bad we were beating them.

I talked with friends from Gilmer who played against them in the 1980`s and they said the same thing. I talked with some parents of kids from Canton and they said Spring Hill acted the same way when they played them a couple of years ago. You have never been on the opposite side of the field from Spring Hill. I imagine their conduct would surprise you if you were on the field on the opposing team.

I hope the game next year is clean and everything goes off without a hitch, but I imagine it will be more of the same from Spring Hill. Hope I am wrong about that, but don't think much will change.

Well god bless you for trying. This is Texas high school football kids do crazy things. May you have the best experience possible the rest of your viewing years of football but I have a funny feeling that won't be the last game you see kids act like kids or coaches do things you don't approve of. I completely agree that you can find someone that has been offended by Spring Hill at some point by any school we have ever played. Hope you can find something we have done correctly over time. God Bless.

Well god bless you for trying. This is Texas high school football kids do crazy things. May you have the best experience possible the rest of your viewing years of football but I have a funny feeling that won't be the last game you see kids act like kids or coaches do things you don't approve of. I completely agree that you can find someone that has been offended by Spring Hill at some point by any school we have ever played. Hope you can find something we have done correctly over time. God Bless.

3hree putt yall good at other sports. Golf and baseball and softball roll with that

Thanks for the welcome, much appreciated.

As far as what the Spring Hill coach did:

1. Antagonizing the Gilmer sideline

2. Antagonizing the Gilmer fans

3. Encouraging the Spring Hill fans to boo the officials

All of the above happened right after the ejection of #22 for Spring Hill.

I will admit I am just speculating that the players are raised to be the way they act on the field. The reason for that speculation is because the players act the same on the field, decade after decade no matter who the coaches are.

I know you said that you have not seen any of the things I mentioned and you have been around the players for 25 years. When I was on the field with Spring Hill players they ran their mouth and had an attitude that was very arrogant and privileged and they instigated the whole game, no matter how bad we were beating them.

I talked with friends from Gilmer who played against them in the 1980`s and they said the same thing. I talked with some parents of kids from Canton and they said Spring Hill acted the same way when they played them a couple of years ago. You have never been on the opposite side of the field from Spring Hill. I imagine their conduct would surprise you if you were on the field on the opposing team.

I hope the game next year is clean and everything goes off without a hitch, but I imagine it will be more of the same from Spring Hill. Hope I am wrong about that, but don't think much will change.

I don't know what Coach Mercer's intentions were like you do but I sure did like that it fired everyone up, and evidently antagonized you lol.

I would be #### if my best player was hit with a cheap shot then shoved the Gilmer player who then threw a punch was ejected. Both were rightly ejected for trading blows after that.

As far as your experience playing against the Panthers, was it most of the team that acted poor or just a few players?

I didn't play against them, but I did get to beat Gilmer a few times and get beat by them once.

I chose to move to Spring Hill 16 years ago to raise my family in what I still believe is the best community and kids around. There are many people who feel the same way including educators who are around these kids every day and have worked at other schools.

I will add that I have family and friends from Gilmer and I admire the Football program so no hate from me.

I don't know what Coach Mercer's intentions were like you do but I sure did like that it fired everyone up, and evidently antagonized you lol.

I would be #### if my best player was hit with a cheap shot then shoved the Gilmer player who then threw a punch was ejected. Both were rightly ejected for trading blows after that.

As far as your experience playing against the Panthers, was it most of the team that acted poor or just a few players?

I didn't play against them, but I did get to beat Gilmer a few times and get beat by them once.

I chose to move to Spring Hill 16 years ago to raise my family in what I still believe is the best community and kids around. There are many people who feel the same way including educators who are around these kids every day and have worked at other schools.

I will add that I have family and friends from Gilmer and I admire the Football program so no hate from me.

Fair enough Acewell. I will let it rest with this post.

The hit on #22 was not a cheap shot. He got put on his butt and he jumped up, ran his mouth, shoved Lamarcus, and Lamarcus retaliated. Lamarcus was wrong to retaliate and he should have been coached better to respond to that situation. Ultimately it was his decision, and he and #22 paid for it.

What I observed in that play is pretty much my experience on the field with Spring Hill. I can't give you a number or percentage of how many of the Spring Hill players acted like jerks. I can say it was not all of them, but it was a good bit of the team that was on the field.

Look, I know I was taking shots at Spring Hill, but that was my experience with them. People before and after me had the same experience. An old Tatum player even posted that they had the same problems when they played Spring Hill.

It's one thing to play a good tough game against an opponent, but its something else when that game turns into what we say Friday. Gladewater is, has been, and forever will be Gilmer's biggest rivalry. Some of the down years in Gilmer, we looked at losing seasons and said: "Hey, we beat Gladewater!". The week before the Spring Hill game we had a great, clean game with Gladewater with absolutely no shoving or words exchanged and each team shook hands after the game. That was what I experienced every game I played against Gladewater, win or lose.

Hope that is the type of game Gilmer and Spring Hill have next year, but I am not holding my breath.

Good luck with the Panthers last two games. Y`all have some decent talent, but you are very young, and well, you know what I think the other problems are.