Week Eleven: Longview vs Mesquite

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (7-2) vs Mesquite Skeeters (3-6)  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Mesquite in a close one
    • Mesquite in a blow out

Lobo07, help me out, what do you guys have coming back next yr?

I just see all these anti King post. You guys lost probably 75% of your team from last yr, and you guys are probably at the worst finish in 3rd place, but more than likely share or win the district title. You lost to JT and Luf, but look what both teams had coming back. and look at all the teams yall beat in district that had much more returning than the Lobos. King has done an outstanding job, and I think yall have a ton of players back next yr. I know yall will have a new QB, and it may take some games to get adjusted, but over the next 3 or so yrs, the Lobos should have an outstanding team.

My issue with King is his play calling and his horrendous clock management that has cost us playoff games in the past (and a trip to State).

Our issue this year is the defense. It's just woeful. Whether that's on the players or on Pierce or both, that's up for debate. But it's just sad to watch.

I don't think the classes we have coming behind this will have as bad of a defense but who knows.

So this will not happen I'm sure but what if both jt and lv lose does that still send lv to Beaumont? and who would get district then

Yea. If both teams lose, We'll still play JT and Lv travels to Beaumont. If Rockwall also wins this week and y'all lose, three teams will share the district title.

So this will not happen I'm sure but what if both jt and lv lose does that still send lv to Beaumont? and who would get district then

Yes. Only way Longview doesn't go to Beaumont is if the Lobos win and Cujo falls.

District would still go to both of us, would then matter if Rockwall won or not if it was a three way tie or just two way.

My issue with King is his play calling and his horrendous clock management that has cost us playoff games in the past (and a trip to State).

Our issue this year is the defense. It's just woeful. Whether that's on the players or on Pierce or both, that's up for debate. But it's just sad to watch.

I don't think the classes we have coming behind this will have as bad of a defense but who knows.

What issues with playcalling? I hated the trick plays against Lake Ridge last year on that final drive. Running got you there. And despite the clock, their defense was being absolutely GASHED. No need to throw the ball whatsoever.

I do see that he has to use a lot of timeouts in games, some that could be useful late in games. He mentioned on the radio against Heath that he hated having to use 2 timeouts on the first drive of the third quarter. But at the same time, it was a sacrifice he made in order to ensure a TD and a two-possession lead because, "Against that offense, it's much easier to hold a two possession lead". I guess it's risk/reward that worked out in that instance.

I don't know that time management against Guyer cost us the game... If you can't execute a punt, you don't deserve to win anyway. I wasn't there so I don't know about the time, how much was run off the clock, etc. But even with not running out the clock, the team should've been able to get a punt off.

He allowed the qb to snap the ball with 8-10 seconds each play for maybe 8-10 plays.... that was the ball game.... no punt would have been needed! Period! Even so..., you knew that blocking the punt was the only way to blow game... should have kept petey on field in shot gun and pooched kicked to keep defense from being sure about punting or going for it...., was total lack of situational football awareness!

What issues with playcalling? I hated the trick plays against Lake Ridge last year on that final drive. Running got you there. And despite the clock, their defense was being absolutely GASHED. No need to throw the ball whatsoever.

I do see that he has to use a lot of timeouts in games, some that could be useful late in games. He mentioned on the radio against Heath that he hated having to use 2 timeouts on the first drive of the third quarter. But at the same time, it was a sacrifice he made in order to ensure a TD and a two-possession lead because, "Against that offense, it's much easier to hold a two possession lead". I guess it's risk/reward that worked out in that instance.

I don't know that time management against Guyer cost us the game... If you can't execute a punt, you don't deserve to win anyway. I wasn't there so I don't know about the time, how much was run off the clock, etc. But even with not running out the clock, the team should've been able to get a punt off.

Complain about the defense last year against Lake Ridge all you want, but they still made the stop that gave the offense the chance to win the game and they didn't take it.

As you said, you weren't there against Guyer. Robertson was snapping the ball with 8/9/10 seconds left on the play clock. We wouldn't of had snap the ball and punt AT ALL if that doesn't happen.

It's horrible when you're sitting in the stands, out there watching Wiley scream back towards the sidelines with his arms raised asking for the play, yet it takes the full 40 seconds to get it in and then we have to burn the timeout anyways. Last season you could blame some of the wasted timeouts on Ross, but this season it's pretty clear most of it's King and their inability to get the play call in.

The play calling just is downright not good some times. Jaylin Brown should be utilized more. Plain and simple. We have a guy who can catch, why not utilize him more. It would do nothing but help our run game. We have a guy who, while he has been scoring a lot of touchdowns for us this season, has fumbled nearly every other or every third snap he has taken. And this is a personnel issue more so than play calling but White wouldn't of even been the back this year if it wasn't for our guys getting hurt going into the Marshall game where White went crazy running the ball on him. We have MORE than enough capable backs that don't put the ball on the turf nearly every time they touch it....and we need all know we need help on defense. White should be in his rightful place on defense.

But is what it is at this point.

I really wish I had kept a stat of how many wasted timeouts we have taken just trying to get the play call in the past couple of years. Because it's just absolutely ridiculous.

I was talking about their defense getting gashed, not ours. Which is why I wanted us to keep running because I thought we'd have scored lol. I HATED the 3/4 turn fullback dive on the goalline vs JT that led to the unforced fumble this season. The 1/4 turn handoff was working wonders... no need to get fancy.

How many games has not having enough timeouts cost us in the past few years? I know that we've used some without needing to, but how many games has that come back to be a factor in? Any in the playoffs? I can remember people being angry about it in the middle of the 48-0 win at Mesquite in 2005... Seemed weird to me, but whatever.

I get it, but I just think its a young team that probably going through growing pains. The def will probably be much better next yr.

As someone that witness a fan base complain about a guy that won state , and went to another state championship game and a semi final appearance in 11 seasons, and brought JT to one of the best in the state.......then have him replaced with a guy who probably had no business being a head coach and see the program become homecoming games.......the grass ain't always as green on the other side.

Im not saying LV couldn't find a better coach, but its tough out there to find a coach to do what King has done at LV.

I get it, but I just think its a young team that probably going through growing pains. The def will probably be much better next yr.

As someone that witness a fan base complain about a guy that won state , and went to another state championship game and a semi final appearance in 11 seasons, and brought JT to one of the best in the state.......then have him replaced with a guy who probably had no business being a head coach and see the program become homecoming games.......the grass ain't always as green on the other side.

Im not saying LV couldn't find a better coach, but its tough out there to find a coach to do what King has done at LV.

I don't think he wants Coach King gone (I'd highly disagree with him if he did) but is acknowledging that Coach King isn't perfect (something he'd agree with himself). And is possibly a bit annoyed because he sees some of those things as easily being fixed.

Did JT fans really complain about Allen Wilson? I thought he left JT for Carter, wasn't run out.

Exactly!!!!!!! You play action on first down or 2nd and short! Teams know on third down if in I- formation it's play action and qb has back turned to pass rush and you can be in his face as soon as he turns around! Lake travis knew it ,Dekaney, Westlake, etc....

How many times did we run play action on 3rd down vs Dekaney? Or Westlake? Or Lake Travis? Much less on anything more than 5 yards?

I'll wait.

I went back and watched the game film vs Dekaney.

I saw two times we ran play action on 3rd down AT ALL, and both were from over 5 yards away. But one was from the shotgun formation and at no point did the QB turn his back to the line of scrimmage. The other time was a screen pass and there was no pressure on the QB.

And we did it once on 4th down, again from the shotgun, and the QB passed for a first down.

I don't have the Lake Travis games but would be more than happy to watch the Westlake game and utterly destroy anything else you have to say. :)

King is a good coach but he has the tendency to get away from whats working in big games and call plays that leave you scratching your head. I believe we should have won the second game against lake travis if we would have stuck with what was working. I also agree we should have came out the guyer game with a victory. It will also help if 90% of pass plays weren't bombs.

King is a good coach but he has the tendency to get away from whats working in big games

Man, I'll agree with this 100%. I always scratch my head when running the ball is working so well and we decide to throw. That said, I don't know what he's thinking or WHY he calls the plays he does, but I do know that he knows a lot more about football than I do.

To me the biggest things with the 2nd Lake Travis game were a few big fumbles and a busted coverage early on in the game. We even didn't field a kickoff and let them just get it. Just poor execution by the players. And then not picking up a 4th and 1... Can't win a title if you can't do that. Plus, that game WAS against Chad Morris, one of the best coaches in the country right now.

Man, I'll agree with this 100%. I always scratch my head when running the ball is working so well and we decide to throw. That said, I don't know what he's thinking or WHY he calls the plays he does, but I do know that he knows a lot more about football than I do.

To me the biggest things with the 2nd Lake Travis game were a few big fumbles and a busted coverage early on in the game. We even didn't field a kickoff and let them just get it. Just poor execution by the players. And then not picking up a 4th and 1... Can't win a title if you can't do that. Plus, that game WAS against Chad Morris, one of the best coaches in the country right now.

Yes we had many chances to win the second one against travis but flat out lost the 1st game.

I agree, normally we have trouble stopping the pass but this is the first time I've ever witnessed us struggle against the run.