Week Eleven: Longview vs Mesquite

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (7-2) vs Mesquite Skeeters (3-6)  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Mesquite in a close one
    • Mesquite in a blow out

I saw the Cox/Bero era. I would take King any day over those two. Collins and King pulled the program up when they came, and its been top shelf ever since. What has been built there has had sustainability. I think King will get one before he goes. He sure deserves one as long as he has been at it. Wouldn't it be special if little King took them to the title when his time comes, under daddy.

• Like 1

I saw the Cox/Bero era. I would take King any day over those two. Collins and King pulled the program up when they came, and its been top shelf ever since. What has been built there has had sustainability. I think King will get one before he goes. He sure deserves one as long as he has been at it. Wouldn't it be special if little King took them to the title when his time comes, under daddy.

if he hasn't won one yet...I don't think he will with Longview

".....Collins and King pulled the program up when they came....."

Say What!!!??? Okay. Smh...

".....Collins and King pulled the program up when they came....."

Say What!!!??? Okay. Smh...

...how is that a stretch?

Our longest playoff streak previous to our current one was 5 in the 80s. We're at 13.

Before Collins and King arrived we were fresh off a losing season. The only season with less than 7 wins under BOTH of those men was the first for Collins, when they finished 3-7. King has never had a season with less than 9 wins.

Before King, we only had 12 seasons with 10 or more wins. We're at 21 now, not counting what this season will end at yet.

Before King, we sat at a more than average 29-27-1 in the post season. We're now a win away from 60 post season victories. King has already over lapped the amount of playoff victories we had prior to him arriving.

It's foolish to disagree with the above statement on any level.

• Like 2

King has been better for the program than Cox, Bero, and Collins, and I was in the Cox era. King has taken the program overall, to another level. But having said that, alllllll have(had) tunnel vision offensively. Longview has had the most predictable offense in the state of Texas for YEARS.

Problem I have with King?

Lack of offensive imagination and poor game management.

HORRIBLE time management.

Cant get d%!n plays in when all he is going to do is run the same counter trap he's been running all night. Amazing for a coach at the 6A level.

Kings problems on offense Ive seen since he took over, IMO.....

Very few screens, sweeps, read option etc..., and mostly passing when everyone in the county knows we have to.

He stops running a play that works.

He keeps running a play that doesnt.

Longview defense. Too small and not nearly physical enough to stop the best teams in 6A. Teams like Katy and SLC would embarrass us most years. End of story. We'll never win a SC against teams like those. We dont have that depth of talent. Just a fact.

We need to get back in 5A and stay there.

• Like 2

I wouldn't say that. It was a little more complicated than that.

#1.Wilson had a personal incident (that I will not disclose) that probably made his time limited in Tyler a 2-3 yrs before he left. Im sure it made his family uncomfortable.

#2.Wilson lost to Lee 3 times in a row, after beating Lee 5 straight times...with 4 being blowouts. It wasn't the fact that they lost, it was that at least 2 of those teams were better.

#3.The Wing-T offense was getting old. The spread was starting to become popular, and fans were growing restless with no passing...and the predictable offense. His last yr was a very disappointing yr, because that team was very talented and had alot of returning players from a team that went to state. Heck they beat Katy first game of the season, but didn't make the playoffs.

#4. On top of #1-3, I believe his wife got a job in the DFW area too. Not sure if she got it first, but I was told she did...which pretty much meant he was leaving too.

I think his time pretty much ran its course. Wilson is still popular among the fan base and will always be. I guess it was time to move on.

All of that makes sense. Sounds like it was a really complicated situation, not simply "he was run off" or "he saw the writing on the wall and left".

But man, he went to Carter and had some good teams with that Wing T... And had just gone to state running the same toss plays over and over. But as a fan, I assume it would get really boring to watch, even if it was effective enough. Can't believe we won in 2001 vs JT. That game was basically for the 3rd playoff spot and we weren't up to speed yet under Collins yet, but were getting better. To go to Tyler and win by 10 was huge for our program, possibly even bigger than the win vs Midland Lee earlier in the year because it meant being back in the playoffs.

King has been better for the program than Cox, Bero, and Collins, and I was in the Cox era. King has taken the program overall, to another level. But having said that, alllllll have(had) tunnel vision offensively. Longview has had the most predictable offense in the state of Texas for YEARS.

Cant get d%!n plays in when all he is going to do is run the same counter trap he's been running all night. Amazing for a coach at the 6A level.

Very few screens, sweeps, read option etc..., and mostly passing when everyone in the county knows we have to.

Longview defense. Too small and not nearly physical enough to stop the best teams in 6A. Teams like Katy and SLC would embarrass us most years. End of story. We'll never win a SC against teams like those. We dont have that depth of talent. Just a fact.

Great post

As 07 said earlier.. King will always play for a district championship and will be eligible to make a run in the playoffs.

Thats hard to give up, because with a little luck, and the right things go your way, sooner or later he will punch thru.

As 07 said earlier.. King will always play for a district championship and will be eligible to make a run in the playoffs.

Thats hard to give up, because with a little luck, and the right things go your way, sooner or later he will punch thru.

Everything DID go our way in 2008 and 2009....

Right up until we ran into a juggernaut led by one of the best coaches in the nation right now (in college football). I feel like it will happen again.

Hard to argue with a lot of that.

When Coach King/Baugh was our offensive coordinator, we stayed in the I and DID run a lot of sweeps and screens... And option. But now we've changed almost completely with a new OC. I loved the more physical game, but I do know there were reasons for moving to a more spread attack.

I wouldn't wish what we went through in 2011, 12, 13 on ANY program that has a history of winning and pride (Well maybe ONE.....which shall remain nameless). While seasons (and in some cases) and decades of that are acceptable at some schools around here.... that was a PROGRAM LOW for us. It was horribly painful. And partially self-inflicted.

That's what happened when we ran a coach out of town a year after going to the region semifinals and having made the playoffs 6 out of 7 years. 2 state title games and 2 region semifinalist spots in that time frame under that staff. And then hit rock bottom.

Longview is in it's glory years right now...... I get it.... no SC. But this is an unparalleled part of Lobo history.... ENJOY IT. The bottom can drop out from under you in the blink of an eye. Enjoy it......because one day It may be gone. Don't think it can't happen to Longview?

Ask Plano..... ask Odessa Permian, ask Aldine, Midland Lee, Dallas Carter...... these use to be household names in TxHSFB. Some of them with MULTIPLE state titles.... and now.... they are after thoughts. Also-rans.

I'm hoping Lufkin turns their fortunes around. I feel they are teetering either way.... they could fall into an abyss similar to what we were in.... or they could climb back up to where they were.

Careful Lobo fans..... some of you may get what your asking for..... and you just may not like what the result could be. Not saying it WOULD happen. Just saying it's a possibility. No program is above it.

If I were a die-hard Lobo fan.....I'd be riding this wave all the way to the shore. Because when it's over..... who knows how long before another one may.....or may not come along.

JMHO from a casual lobo fan.... and from a diehard Mav fan that's lived through those times with my program.

See ya'll tomorrow at Lobo!

• Like 5

I wouldn't say that. It was a little more complicated than that.

#1.Wilson had a personal incident (that I will not disclose) that probably made his time limited in Tyler a 2-3 yrs before he left. Im sure it made his family uncomfortable.

#2.Wilson lost to Lee 3 times in a row, after beating Lee 5 straight times...with 4 being blowouts. It wasn't the fact that they lost, it was that at least 2 of those teams were better.

#3.The Wing-T offense was getting old. The spread was starting to become popular, and fans were growing restless with no passing...and the predictable offense. His last yr was a very disappointing yr, because that team was very talented and had alot of returning players from a team that went to state. Heck they beat Katy first game of the season, but didn't make the playoffs.

#4. On top of #1-3, I believe his wife got a job in the DFW area too. Not sure if she got it first, but I was told she did...which pretty much meant he was leaving too.

I think his time pretty much ran its course. Wilson is still popular among the fan base and will always be. I guess it was time to move on.

I gave the simple reason, not the one that was going around on the Grapevine.

All of that makes sense. Sounds like it was a really complicated situation, not simply "he was run off" or "he saw the writing on the wall and left".

But man, he went to Carter and had some good teams with that Wing T... And had just gone to state running the same toss plays over and over. But as a fan, I assume it would get really boring to watch, even if it was effective enough. Can't believe we won in 2001 vs JT. That game was basically for the 3rd playoff spot and we weren't up to speed yet under Collins yet, but were getting better. To go to Tyler and win by 10 was huge for our program, possibly even bigger than the win vs Midland Lee earlier in the year because it meant being back in the playoffs.

I believe that 2001 game was at Lobo. I was at that game, and that was a huge win for LV. It started the winning streak for LV against JT (JT had won the previous 6 out of 7 matchups) and I could see that the program was starting to develop.

I gave the simple reason, not the one that was going around on the Grapevine.

You said he was ran out of town, but that wasn't true at all. Is it possible, he could have been later on...maybe, but Coach Wilson had done too much to be ran out of town, he was only a yr out from going to state. I think it was just a bunch a things that happen, that made him leave.

You said he was ran out of town, but that wasn't true at all. Is it possible, he could have been later on...maybe, but Coach Wilson had done too much to be ran out of town, he was only a yr out from going to state. I think it was just a bunch a things that happen, that made him leave.

Not everyone in the fan base liked him.