Week Eleven: Longview vs Mesquite

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (7-2) vs Mesquite Skeeters (3-6)  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Mesquite in a close one
    • Mesquite in a blow out

5 TD passes for King according to WP4L

Good golly.

I remember as a Freshman, we never scored more than like 20 in any game other than Nacogdoches who we killed 35-0.

Other than that, hardly any points at all. I need to see him play soon, of course that won't happen til next season unless he is brought up to Varsity in the playoffs and we have some crazy lead (not likely vs Westbrook).

OK....So I'm reading all the previous posts about Coach King and honestly, I'm kind of confused. I'm a casual fan of the Lobos and an intense fan of East Texas High School Football in general. I'm confused because I see where most think he is "predictable" and "un-imaginative" on offense but his son throws FIVE touchdown passes last night? I'm curious if they are running a different offense at the sub-varsity level because the skill set may be different? Is the QB for varsity capable of slinging it around the gridiron or are they FORCED to run the ball due to lack of confidence in the passing game? Again, I'm only asking because I honestly don't know.

More importantly though...and here is the "million dollar" question, when King's son gets to the varsity level, will we see a complete shift into a spread offense to highlight the skills of a gifted QB? I'm sure Longview has had GOOD QB's in the past but I'm not sure the offense was built around that player. Could it be different this time?

I can't speak to the historical aspect of the elder King's offense/playcalling, simply because I haven't been watching it as long as some, but I can certainly speak to the talent of the younger. I've watched him during practice and most of his home games. Kid is the real thing.

Pretty good speed, above-average pocket mobility, and good size... especially for a freshman, tall (already over six-feet) and rangy. More than this though, he's got some sick intangibles. I've seen him make throws that a high school senior would be proud of. Superior mechanics. Granted, he needs to get stronger overall (c'mon, he is just a dadgum freshman) but he's already got a lot of the fundamentals and nuances down.

If he continues to develop on his current trajectory, I see no reason why he won't be the best QB to wear a Lobos uniform.

OK....So I'm reading all the previous posts about Coach King and honestly, I'm kind of confused. I'm a casual fan of the Lobos and an intense fan of East Texas High School Football in general. I'm confused because I see where most think he is "predictable" and "un-imaginative" on offense but his son throws FIVE touchdown passes last night? I'm curious if they are running a different offense at the sub-varsity level because the skill set may be different? Is the QB for varsity capable of slinging it around the gridiron or are they FORCED to run the ball due to lack of confidence in the passing game? Again, I'm only asking because I honestly don't know.

More importantly though...and here is the "million dollar" question, when King's son gets to the varsity level, will we see a complete shift into a spread offense to highlight the skills of a gifted QB? I'm sure Longview has had GOOD QB's in the past but I'm not sure the offense was built around that player. Could it be different this time?

Previous years, Longview on sub varsity years would never throw the ball around. It was only play action and shot gun if they absolutely had to.

King's kid is by far one of the best passers we've ever had coming through the ranks, IMO. But not even thinking of that, I don't think King has ever felt comfortable slinging the ball around. Bivins Caraway is probably the closest thing we've ever had to a true passing quarterback, and sadly he only got to experience one real season of tossing things around (before getting injured in the first game of his season senior).

We're just two seasons removed from season Chumley set every passing record mark in the history of Longview football. But that also came with three seasons at the helm and an unbelievable 2013 season, that after 2014 I just can't explain how it happened. So who knows if it's just because he has to feel comfortable with the guy passing or not. But 2015 scarred him, imo, with how poorly Ross was passing that thing around. Wiley definitely is on a different level than Ross (he's already surpassed him in passing touchdowns from last year and we're not even done with the regular season). But I don't think King is comfortable calling many pass plays at all.

I do think we'll see a 2011/2013 type of play calling though starting next year (cause I think King will be the starting QB next season) where it's more open. JK has been building for the next couple of years ever since he got here imo. It'll be interesting to see for sure.

But right now, it's definitely frustrating. Especially knowing how open Region II is.

Thanks 07. I can always count on your insight. Maybe we will see how "creative" King can be when he gets the pieces put together that will allow for a potent passing game. Until then though, I think we have to give him the benefit of doubt that he's doing the best play calling he can with the given offensive weapons. I think he's earned that much...at least in my book.

Good luck to the Lobos tonight and moving forward.

• Like 2

Let's not forget that the passing game also requires receivers to get open and catch the ball. It is hard to determine if the receiving corp can get open without play action because they are rarely asked to do that. i believe that lack of consistency from both the qb and receivers is why the play calling is what it is, plus we score 40 points with that predictable, boring, winning running attack..

• Like 1

Defense is horrendous

Play 35 on defense

Play 35 on defense

Play 35 on defense

Play 35 on defense

Play 35 on defense

...and now..2 and a half quarters later...

Mesquite has yet to have a drive since the first quarter.

48-7 Longview, midway through the 3rd.