BASEBALL TRIVIA

cheaptrick77

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well my first instinct was Hank and Willie but I thought you might think I meant Williams and Nelson! instead of Aaron and Mays :whome:

Ok, Now;

NEXT QUIZ:

Who was the former Yankee (and Ruth team mate) that hit 60 HR’s, scored 202 runs and drove in 222 runs while playing in the Triple A Pacific Coast League (prior to donning the NY pinstripes)?

Tony Lazzeri while playing for the 1925 Salt Lake City team in the PCL was the slugger of note. He hit .355 and got 252 hits in that season. The thing that is not widely known is that the team played 197 games in that season and he had 710 AB's in the year.

The thing that is not widely known is that the team played 197 games in that season and he had 710 AB's in the year.

^ I did not know that. You're still up, Joe! :D Proceed with the next quiz.

1936 The hoopla began on the opening day of spring training camp when Lazzeri and Frankie Crosetti drove to the team's Grapefruit League spring training camp with a fellow San Francisco Italian in the backseat. No sooner had the door opened and their passenger emerged, when pitcher Red Ruffing, eyeing him skeptically, said "So you're the great DiMaggio."

Next Quiz.....................On this the 70th Anniversary of the "Lou Gehrig Speech" the Yankees were faced with filling the shoes that Lou was leaving behind. How many Yankees in that season (1939) hit at least 10 homers as the Bombers led the league in homers....?

can anybody name the pitcher who threw a no hitter and lost in that magical no hit season?

Don't know how your question got overlooked or passed over. I don't work for the Moderators Inc. in SDC.

The answer to your question should be "Ken Johnson pitched a complete game no-hitter and LOST because of 2 errors and a ground out. Pete Rose scored the winning run after 2 errors and a ground out in this landmark game played on April 23, 1964."

Next Quiz.....................On this the 70th Anniversary of the "Lou Gehrig Speech" the Yankees were faced with filling the shoes that Lou was leaving behind. How many Yankees in that season (1939) hit at least 10 homers as the Bombers led the league in homers....?

I was going to bow out of this one, so the Yankee fans could show some love. I figured 'REAL' Yankee fans would know the answer. :sorcerer: Baseball fans aren't always Yankee fans, and apparently Yankee fans aren't always baseball fans! :whome: In no particular order: [Tommy Henrich(9) missed the list by 1]

HR's in ()

1) Bill Dickey(24)

2) Babe Dahlgren(15)

3) Joe Gordon(28)

4) Frankie Crosetti(10)

5) Red Rolfe(14)

6) Joe DiMaggio(30)

7) Charlie Kellar(11)

8) George Selkirk(21)

So I say the answer is 8

NEXT QUIZ: Who was the 1966 Red who didn't enter one particular game until the 8th inning, yet hit 3 homers in that contest?

I was going to bow out of this one, so the Yankee fans could show some love. I figured 'REAL' Yankee fans would know the answer. :sorcerer: Baseball fans aren't always Yankee fans, and apparently Yankee fans aren't always baseball fans! :whome: In no particular order: [Tommy Henrich(9) missed the list by 1]

HR's in ()

1) Bill Dickey(24)

2) Babe Dahlgren(15)

3) Joe Gordon(28)

4) Frankie Crosetti(10)

5) Red Rolfe(14)

6) Joe DiMaggio(30)

7) Charlie Kellar(11)

8) George Selkirk(21)

So I say the answer is 8

NEXT QUIZ: Who was the 1966 Red who didn't enter one particular game until the 8th inning, yet hit 3 homers in that contest?

Sholessjoelives final answer is ............

Art Shamsky.

NEXT QUIZ- How many players have had at least 40 Stolen Bases and 100 Hits before the All-Star Game ??

• 2 weeks later...
NEXT QUIZ- How many players have had at least 40 Stolen Bases and 100 Hits before the All-Star Game ??

This has been up long enough............the answer is 4. Kenny Lofton in 1994 and 1996, Rickey Henderson in 1986, Ron LeFlore in 1979 and Carl Crawford this year.

New NEXT QUIZ....................Who was the MVP of the All-Star Game last night ?

• 1 month later...

Hurry up & get you Internet connection back, Joe!

Your next question is up now.

WHICH IS:

Here's one. What pitcher was known as "Mr. Fastball"?.....not recent

ANSWER: Jim Bunning

NEXT QUESTION: Name the active leader in games pitched without a MLB victory..........

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Name the active leader in games pitched without a MLB victory

Chris Britton: 78 MLB appearances, 0-3 record

What pitcher has the most wins without 100 career losses?

Al Spalding, 252-65

Modern Era: Ron Guidry, 170-91

NEXT:

:nowhearthis: Name the last MLB pitcher to win 20 games and lose 20 games in the same season...

Chris Britton: 78 MLB appearances, 0-3 record

Al Spalding, 252-65

Modern Era: Ron Guidry, 170-91

NEXT:

:nowhearthis: Name the last MLB pitcher to win 20 games and lose 20 games in the same season...

Wilbur Woods?

Phil Niekro's 20-21 record in 1979 is correct & the answer to your question is:

Ned Garver -- 20-12 with the 52-102 St. Louis Browns in 1951

NEXT:

Name the only player to reach the Majors after playing for the Tyler WildCatters..........