BASEBALL TRIVIA

cheaptrick77

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Five0pd310

Here's an off the wall question. Do you prefer b-ball cards that show live action shots or poses. For some reason I like the poses. Seems more traditional or something. Maybe not, I don't know.

I was thinking about this the other day! :)

I prefer poses...like the ones prevalent on 1970s Baseball Cards. Batters with the extended bat, pitchers either in the "hand-in-glove-over-the head" wind-up pose or the follow-through pose.

I absolutely despise Cards with the player's head only!

Never mind, I just looked it up and found it. I thought I had seen it before. It's true. 1989 Fleer. The card I have it is scribbled out with black marker. I read on this site I'm at that they used several different methods to block it out.

I would post the original card, but I would get banned. LOL.

Originally posted by Five0pd310

To the best of my knowledge though, the last to do them both at the same time was Babe Ruth.

Nope! :D

Back to the "____ face" Billy Ripken card...I think there are three variations of the card: "whiteout", "blackout" & the regular card. The "whiteout" version is the scarcest of the three! :ermm:

I understand that there were two different versions of the blackout version. One scribbled out with black and one was a black block covering the area.

And you're right. I remember hearing that about the Billy Ripken "whiteout" card being the rarist.

ANSWER:

Before Brooks Kieschnick, MLB's last "two-way" player was Willie Smith, who played from 1963-1971 with the Tigers, Angels, Indians, Cubs & Reds.

Smith ended his career with 339 games as an outfielder, one as a first baseman & appeared in 29 games as a pitcher.

Smith's lifetime pitching stats:

2-4 record, 3.10 ERA, 39 K, 24 BB in 61 innings & two saves.

• 1 year later...

William H Taft threw out the first pitch, April 14, 1910 to none other than one of the Greatest pitchers of all time..............Walter Johnson.

What Ranger pitcher was once pulled out of a game in the fifth inning, with no hits and 10 stikeouts? And Why?

Originally posted by mellon

What Ranger pitcher was once pulled out of a game in the fifth inning, with no hits and 10 stikeouts? And Why?

I remember this game !!!

Bobby Witt

Rangers @ Brewers

April 17, 1986

Despite not allowing a hit, Witt threw four wild pitches, walked eight batters and allowed two runs to score.

Name the only MLB pitcher who, in a 3-year span, followed a 20-win season with two consecutive 20-loss seasons ..........

Originally posted by shoelessjoelives

Wilbur Wood from 1973 to 1975 lost 20 in 1973 and won 20 in '74 following up in '75 with a 16-20 mark.............

'you didn't read the question, Joe !!! :whome:

Name the only MLB pitcher who, in a 3-year span, followed a 20-win season with two consecutive 20-loss seasons

Originally posted by shoelessjoelives

Satchel Paige would fly to games in a single engine plane during the '40's

That I did not know !! :shocked:

Who was the first rookie pitcher to win an all star game?

Spec Shea, New York Yankees -- 1947 Mid-Summer Classic

Name the two MLB pitchers who have each hit 2 career home runs in World Series competition ...

Who is the first and only World Series participant to be ejected twice in World Series competition?

Bobby Cox:

1992 World Series Game 3 (9th inning)

1996 World Series Game 6 (5th inning)

both instances for arguing balls and strikes

Name the last player to be ejected from a World Series game for "bench jockeying" ..........