BASEBALL TRIVIA

cheaptrick77

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if Fogger01 doesn't have a Q here's one:

What is the historical significance of the 1971 World series game 4 @ Pittsburg?

Well, I was going to ask the next question so I might as well answer this one first. Game foiur of the 1971 World Series between Pittsburgh and Baltimore was the first night game in World Series history. The Pirates won the game 4-3.

Post-1900, who is the only pitcher to win at least 20 games in each of his first three seasons in the major leagues?

Well, I was going to ask the next question so I might as well answer this one first. Game foiur of the 1971 World Series between Pittsburgh and Baltimore was the first night game in World Series history. The Pirates won the game 4-3.

Post-1900, who is the only pitcher to win at least 20 games in each of his first three seasons in the major leagues?

Vean Gregg of Cleveland won 20 in each of first 3 seasons from 1911 to 1913.

NEXT QUESTION............What is the lowest ERA ever recorded by a lefty in a season with at least 300 innings pitched ?

NEXT QUESTION............What is the lowest ERA ever recorded by a lefty in a season with at least 300 innings pitched ?

I'm gonna guess 0.96

This was in 1914 by Dutch Leonard AKA Hub Walker 1913-1921 ,1924-1925. Boston Red Sox/Detroit tigers(Another Dutch Leonard played about a decade later but he was Right handed.) I'm just not sure about the 300IP, so I won't post new question until shoeless tells me yes or no.

In what was probably his finest season, Hall of Famer Rube Waddell recorded an ERA of 1.48 in 328 and 2/3 innings pitched. Waddell recorded 27 wins against 10 losses and, along with fellow Hall of Fame hurlers Eddie Plank and Chief Bender who combined for 42 wins, propelled the 1905 Philadelphia Athletics to the American League pennant.

Name the first pitcher to appear in the all-star game despite having no wins.

Brendan Donnelly, 2003 All-Star Game ... winning pitcher as well !!

^ since I am not 100% sure of my answer :blush: , I will politely await confirmation ...

If it is correct, it is interesting to note that at the time of Donnelly's victory in the 2003 All-Star Game, he had a World Series victory, the aforementioned All-Star Game victory, but only one career regular season victory !

HI SLJ,

Sasaki, the 2000 American League Rookie of the Year is not the correct answer although I believe he was the first American Leaguer to fit the bill.

My first clue for this one will be that not only did this pitcher have no wins when he played in the All-Star game but he had no career wins either. :)

The NL pitcher with this distinction was John Hudek of the Astros in 1994.

NEXT QUIZ:

In the 2006 season which major league manager used the most different lineups. And which manager used the fewest different lineups for this year.

Extra point: Which skipper used the fewest pinch-hitters during the 2006 campaign....?

Time has expired and the answers follow.

2006 season had Joe Maddon of Tampa Bay using 145 different lineups was tops while Charlie Manuel then of the Phillies used onlly 81 different lineups on the year.

Extra point: Fewest pinch-hitters used the :texrangers: Buck Showalter used only 39 pinch-hitters in 2006.

NEXT QUESTION

How bout' an easy one like......."Who has had more "50 homer seasons" during their career..........Babe Ruth or Alex Rodriguez ?

NEXT QUESTION

How bout' an easy one like......."Who has had more "50 homer seasons" during their career..........Babe Ruth or Alex Rodriguez ?

The Bambino had four such seasons to "only" three for A Rod.

Which player has had the most consecutive thirty home run seasons?

The Bambino had four such seasons to "only" three for A Rod.

Which player has had the most consecutive thirty home run seasons?

Barry Bonds had 13 from1992 til 2004.

Next Quiz : Who at the most at bats without being hit by a pitch in a season ?

Barry Bonds had 13 from1992 til 2004.

Next Quiz : Who at the most at bats without being hit by a pitch in a season ?

Sandy Alomar Sr. has that distinction. In 1971 the California Angel 2nd basaeman did not get plunked once despite accumulating 689 at bats.

Name the baseball Hall of Famer who, while still playing baseball, spent a short stint as head coach in the NBA precursor National Basketball League.

Dave Winfield

SJL, Dave Winfield is not the correct answer. The National Basketball League was a league in the 1930s and 1940s that eventually merged with the Basketball Association of America to become the NBA.

The first clue for this one is that the basketball team was based in Indiana. :hmm:

Lou Boudreau, 1939-40 Hammond Ciesar All-Americans

As of Wednesday morning, May 14, 2008 -- name the active Major League pitcher who has appeared in the most career games without yet earning his first Major League victory . . .

Ellis Johnson

Turnpike Stadium was home to what team in baseball history first. What big league team soon played there when the stadium was expanded. An odd thing about the stadium was what ? This has to do with the playing surface.

1. 1965 Dallas-Fort Worth Spurs (Texas League)

2. Texas Rangers

3. The field was located below the "ground level" of the surrounding parking lots

NEXT:

Name the manager of the last Tyler, Texas Minor League team to win a league championship...