East Texas 5A districts (16 and 17) go 0-8 in the first round

dillonpanthers

Horrible!!! I think Texas high was the only

Competitive game.

Maybe basketball will be better!!

The Marshall basketball team will get our revenge!

Mavchamp, how are we looking for the spring sports? Track and baseball mostly.

Baseball should be competitive. Maybe best team we've had in a few years. But.... hallsville is hallsville. Can't overlook that.

Softball.... who knows. This district is stacked in softball. Hallsville and SS have clearly proven to be the best.

Track should be strong. But always a close race.

Tennis is all Texarkana.

No idea about soccer. Last 2 seasons have been brutal.

Baseball should be competitive. Maybe best team we've had in a few years. But.... hallsville is hallsville. Can't overlook that.

Softball.... who knows. This district is stacked in softball. Hallsville and SS have clearly proven to be the best.

Track should be strong. But always a close race.

Tennis is all Texarkana.

No idea about soccer. Last 2 seasons have been brutal.

We do like our tennis and golf up here.

Crazy how the lower classes (2a - 4a) compete so well every year, and how bad 5a is. I just don't understand. It was a heck of a lot better for ETX football when we had LV, JT, and Lufkin in 5a. 6a is gonna be tough to win a state championship in, but all 3 of those teams will still compete and have success in the playoffs most years. I don't see our current group of 5a teams winning playoff games most years. Unless Marshall can get back on the horse after a disappointing season this year. The team I can't understand is Texas High. They have over 1900 kids and have athletes every year. If they got the right staff there, they could build a heck of a program.

Not really suprised. If you followed them throughout the year you could see the playoffs looked bad. Texas High wasn't really even challenged but ran into a strong team. On paper all of the Bi District matchups were mismatched to begin with. The few that shouldn't have lost either played their worst or was beat by a better team.

The only 2 I thought had a shot at winning were Texas High and Ennis. I thought Marshall might be a little closer with Wylie East than they did. No one else really surprised me in the playoffs. My post was more directed at the downfall of 5A East Texas as a whole, not just the playoffs. It's been terrible all season. Last year wasn't real great either. But the 2 districts played each other in bi district, so that softened the blow some.

Crazy how the lower classes (2a - 4a) compete so well every year, and how bad 5a is. I just don't understand. It was a heck of a lot better for ETX football when we had LV, JT, and Lufkin in 5a. 6a is gonna be tough to win a state championship in, but all 3 of those teams will still compete and have success in the playoffs most years. I don't see our current group of 5a teams winning playoff games most years. Unless Marshall can get back on the horse after a disappointing season this year. The team I can't understand is Texas High. They have over 1900 kids and have athletes every year. If they got the right staff there, they could build a heck of a program.

No doubt 2016 was a pretty bad season for all of East Texas 5A..... but historically....we do well in the playoffs. Next season will show if 16 was a blip or a trend. But the last 15 years or so have been pretty kind to East Texas 5A overall.

And keep in mind...more often than not for the last 10 years... the 2 districts have played each other in the first round, knocking out half of them in the first round......

2002: Texas High won the state championship

2003: Texas High advanced to the semifinals, Kilgore to the quarterfinals,

2004: Kilgore won the state championship, Marshall advanced to the state championship, Jacksonville , Texas High, Jacksonville and Sulphur Springs to the quarterfinals

2005- Marshall advanced to the state championship, Kilgore to the quarterfinals

2006- Texas High and Whitehouse advanced to the quarterfinals

2007- Marshall to the region semifinals, Kilgore and Whitehouse 2 rounds,

2008- SS won the state championship, Longview advanced to the state championship, Texas High and Kilgore went 2 rounds

2009- From the North district Longview advanced to the state championship, SS advanced to the quarterfinals, and Marshall advanced to the region semifinals.

2010- JT went quarterfinals, SS went 9-3, WH went 9-3

2011 had JT went to the semi-finals, Kilgore went to the quarterfinals in the south district; SS went 2 rounds deep... and Sherman isn't considered East Texas...but they were in the same district as Texas High and they went to the quarterfinals too for the north district.

2012- John Tyler went to the Semifinals, Whitehouse went 10-2

2013- Whitehouse went to the region semifinals in the south district, Only SS advanced to the 2nd round in the north district

2014- JT went to the semifinals and Ennis won the state championship; Longview and Marshall advanced to the 2nd round

2015- Longview advanced to the quarterfinals, Marshall advanced to the region semifinals, JT and Hallsville went 2 rounds deep..... with Hallsville pulling a pretty big upset over defending champion Ennis

Looks like to me....more often than not.... East Texas does well in the playoffs...... 2016 was just rough though. Gonna have to see how 2017 shakes down to see if it's something to raise an eyebrow about.

But them losing to West Mesquite was a HUGE upset!

Don't sell the Tigers short and thinking this was a HUGE upset. Texas High was a dominating football team as they went undefeated in 2016. No doubt they have a great football team to accomplish that feat. However, West Mesquite may have played in one of the toughest districts in the state, in my opinion. Highland Park, Wylie East, Mesquite Poteet, West Mesquite and Lovejoy were top shelf teams in 2016. As for West Mesquite, they beat Wylie East and Wylie East beat Highland Park. Wylie East may have one of the top tailbacks in the nation in Eno Benjamin and West Mesquite held him scoreless. Also West Mesquite made a spectacular comeback over Lovejoy this season. Down by 30 points with the final 15 minutes left to play, West Mesquite came back and won that game. The final game of the season, West Mesquite and rival Mesquite Poteet played and a very, very strong Poteet team slipped past West Mesquite 17-13.

I spoke with one of the Texas High assistant coaches after the game and he complimented West Mesquite, by saying they had not been put in such a competitive situation all year long, as they were in the last few minutes in their game against the Wranglers.

These were two equal football teams and that is a compliment to both teams. If they had started with any other district than 15 against 16 and visa versa, I have little doubt that both could have won their Bi-District Championships.

Sad to see those kids from Texas High see their perfect season stop the way it did, but they played a very good football team. No, I would not say a HUGE upset at all. It was just a great match-up and in the end, West Mesquite had put themselves in position to win and Texas High had to face a huge challenge, that just came up short. Congratulations to both teams!

Wylie East is a good football team. One of the best running backs in the nation. Marshall will be back strong, they just caught a monster of a team to play in the first round. District 15-5A was exceptionally strong this season. I saw them all and even the teams that didn't make he playoffs were solid and very competitive.

No doubt 2016 was a pretty bad season for all of East Texas 5A..... but historically....we do well in the playoffs. Next season will show if 16 was a blip or a trend. But the last 15 years or so have been pretty kind to East Texas 5A overall.

And keep in mind...more often than not for the last 10 years... the 2 districts have played each other in the first round, knocking out half of them in the first round......

2004: Kilgore won the state championship, Marshall advanced to the state championship, Jacksonville , Texas High, Jacksonville and Sulphur Springs to the quarterfinals

2008- SS won the state championship, Longview advanced to the state championship, Texas High and Kilgore went 2 rounds

2009- From the North district Longview advanced to the state championship, SS advanced to the quarterfinals, and Marshall advanced to the region semifinals.

2011 had JT went to the semi-finals, Kilgore went to the quarterfinals in the south district; SS went 2 rounds deep... and Sherman isn't considered East Texas...but they were in the same district as Texas High and they went to the quarterfinals too for the north district.

2013- Whitehouse went to the region semifinals in the south district, Only SS advanced to the 2nd round in the north district

2014- JT went to the semifinals and Ennis won the state championship; Longview and Marshall advanced to the 2nd round

2015- Longview advanced to the quarterfinals, Marshall advanced to the region semifinals, JT and Hallsville went 2 rounds deep..... with Hallsville pulling a pretty big upset over defending champion Ennis

Looks like to me....more often than not.... East Texas does well in the playoffs...... 2016 was just rough though. Gonna have to see how 2017 shakes down to see if it's something to raise an eyebrow about.

Take Longview, JT, and Kilgore off that list and your not left with much. SS and WH are on the downward trend. I already said Marshall and Texas High should be doing better, and hopefully will.

I agree. It was definitely an unusual year for East Texas 5A. Hopefully it will be the exception and not the norm from here on out.

Take Longview, JT, and Kilgore off that list and your not left with much..........

Odd argument. Why take them away? They were each in the classification when they were counted.

Take Gilmer, Carthage, and Tatum/LE away and your not left with much in the lower classifications in East Texas either.....

Odd argument. Why take them away? They were each in the classification when they were counted.

Take Gilmer, Carthage, and Tatum/LE away and your not left with much in the lower classifications in East Texas either.....

It's like saying Pine Tree doesn't count because they have been bad or Taking Hughes Spilrings out of their district...

Really dumb argument on his part on whatever point he is/was trying to make

And even if you take JT, longview, and Kilgore away from that list (again.... why???)

You still end up with 2 state championships won..... 2 more state titles played for.... and multiple semifinal, quarterfinal and regional qualifying teams. From Texas High, Marshall, Sulphur Springs, and others.