Buckeyes & Bulldogs

buckeyebob

It's a shame the season has to come to an end for 35 for Jasper. Kid is an absolute beast. No quit in him either.

It probably would not have changed the overall result, but unfortunately for Jasper number 11 who perhaps is just as strong or stronger than 35 is in street clothes on the sideline. Got injured late in the game last week. Congrats to Gilmer on a big win! Good luck next week against Celina.

OK, for few quick observations:

1. For the second week in a row, Gilmer's defense was outstanding. Jasper get the ball on Gilmer's 29 yard line 1st position, and didn't score. Gilmer then had a goal line stand in the first half, and a key fourth down stop in the third quarter. Nice ride to the football, hit hard all night, and make big plays when I needed to.

2. Poppy Brown loves playing at Rose Field. He looked great tonight, and Gilmer's offense was clicking. Collier also have a great night running the football.

3. Gilmer committed a lot less turnovers tonight. And a lot less penalties. I didn't think this late in the season things would change, but they may be starting to get it.

4. Jasper had a great back and a strong running attack, but couldn't put enough pressure on Gilmer in the passing game. Celina Will be a more balanced team, so hopefully Gilmer will be able to make the adjustments necessary to stay with them.

Great Game Buckeyes. Hopefully we'll see the same results next week.

• Like 1

Great game Buckeyes!!!! A very good opponent in the third round. Jasper gave us everything they could. This years Jasper team would have matched up really well against the 2007 Liberty Hill team that beat Gilmer in Waco at the state finals.

That comment don't even make sense.

That comment don't even make sense

First, Gilmer played a very good game. Second, They played an opponent, that could have beat Gilmer had they got in the lead. Third, Jasper's style of play reminded me of the Liberty Hill team we faced in the state game in Waco.

Besides at my age stringing together coherent thoughts sometimes isn't as easy as it used to be. No offense taken, and no offense intended on my part.

Congrats Buckeyes! Well, y'all are the only ones left to represent district 7-4A Div II, so go out there and get us a crown. I know y'all are very capable of doing just that, so work hard this week and take the same defense to Mesquite next week and take down Celina!!! Cheering you on from Bearland!!!

• Like 1

Ok,, I'm gonna pat myself on the back a little. Now I didn't give a score prediction here on Smoaky this week, but a friend told me he thought the score would be 31 - 24 Gilmer. I told him "nope,, final score will be 48 - 21 Gilmer. Missed it 2 points. Of course that was a lucky guess,,, but it made me look smart this week,,, which seldom happens. LOL I knew going in, that if Gilmer's defense played like they did last week, and got a couple of key stops, that it would be a tough row to hoe for Jasper. And good defense was key for this game, it seems we're on the right track. And I think the main reason for that is we've gone from arm tackling, to being patient, getting locked in on the ball carrier, and knocking the snot out of anyone with the ball. I've seen twice the hard hits in the past two games, than I saw in the previous 13. These kids are playing scrappy as all get out, throwing their bodies around, and making RB's, QB's, and receivers pay for daring to come at them or try to get around them. There was "one" exception,,,, Jasper's #35 gave Gilmer all we could handle. I don't remember the last RB I've seen play against us in several years with the speed + power + balance that kid has. Late in the game when we had a lot of our #2's in,,,he had a run of about 40 yards, and we had three kids hit him at our 20 yard line,,, and they were clawing, pulling, hanging all over him, and he drug them to the 2 yard line. He's a strong, strong runner, and I would have loved to have seen him wearing orange and black.

But it seems we have a beast of our own. Kelton Collier,,, well I'm not sure how many yards he had last night, but I know that he got almost half of the ones he got, after the first contact. He has truly come alive these last few weeks. You are not going to get him down with one hit 9 out of 10 times. Our line blocked very well all night, allowing Poppy Brown to have time to make good throws. Lamarcus Morton, Qua Heath, and Red Jones hauled in some awesome catches, and we kept the chains moving all night. Kelton was a little tentative running at times until last week, and he went through a period where he was a bit fumble prone. These past two weeks,, the fumbleitis has been gone,, and he's been like Zeke Elliott,,, feed me,,,, he's started securing the ball better,, and just running over or around players. Hats off to you young man,,, keep it going, we're gonna need that next week big time.

As has been mentioned already, One of the biggest keys to the game was our defense just like it was last week against Melissa. I know we stopped them on 4th and 1 at least twice, and fourth and 4 I think it was on another occasion. I was shocked that Jasper didn't try to throw the ball more once they got behind so bad. But they danced with what brung them this far, as Darryl Royal said. The thing is, they had a couple of really good receivers, and the QB had a decent enough arm that if they had mixed up the play calling a bit more, I think they would have had better success. Other than that,, #'s 35, and 25, were very good, especially 35.

For us, the defense was a team effort last night,, I could call out nearly every kid who played, for some outstanding plays. But once again, Kollin Hurt was the leader in style of play, and the rest of the team seemed to follow his example. I'm really seeing some great Senior leadership coming out the last few weeks. Kids like Kelton, Kollin, LaMarcus, Trendon Brooks, Demetri Fort, Dustin Brown, Jeremy Kelly, and others. I know at least five or six times last night a Jasper kid would have the ball and a good head of steam, and suddenly, he was going straight back as fast as he had been going forward. Super hitting. I don't throw superlative brags out all that often,, but the past couple of weeks,, it's just been hard not to. And that is exactly the style of play, we'll need against a big strong team like Celina.

Have to give props to the Coaching Staff as well. This was probably the best called game of the season. Props to the offensive line too, for eliminating at least four or five false starts this week. You could just tell the focus was there, and the kids were really into the game this week. Proud of our Buckeyes today. Always am, but even moreso this week. Keep it rolling Buckeyes,,, and don't let up, not for one second, and we'll keep the train on the tracks.

First, Gilmer played a very good game. Second, They played an opponent, that could have beat Gilmer had they got in the lead. Third, Jasper's style of play reminded me of the Liberty Hill team we faced in the state game in Waco.

Besides at my age stringing together coherent thoughts sometimes isn't as easy as it used to be. No offense taken, and no offense intended on my part.

First of all there was no offense taken on my part. Your second post does make more sense. I thought you were comparing what we saw last night to the 3 headed monster that we faced in 2007. The only thing comparable about those team was the both ran alot. Jasper doesn't even run close to a slot-t and LH may have run it better those 2 years than anyone in history. Two completely different offenses.

35 has been special for our varsity the past 3 seasons. his name is decorian holmes. he is the grandson of the late ernie holmes who played in the nfl in the 70's and won 2 super bowls with the steelers. unfortunatly for the DAWGS #11 bubba (kellian) weathered is our other rb who is a mirror image of 35 if not an overall bit better. he was injured late in the game against aubrey therefore wasnt able to play last night.

There was "one" exception,,,, Jasper's #35 gave Gilmer all we could handle. I don't remember the last RB I've seen play against us in several years with the speed + power + balance that kid has. Late in the game when we had a lot of our #2's in,,,he had a run of about 40 yards, and we had three kids hit him at our 20 yard line,,, and they were clawing, pulling, hanging all over him, and he drug them to the 2 yard line. He's a strong, strong runner, and I would have loved to have seen him wearing orange and black.

Great game Buckeyes!!!! A very good opponent in the third round. Jasper gave us everything they could. This years Jasper team would have matched up really well against the 2007 Liberty Hill team that beat Gilmer in Waco at the state finals.

From a fan perspective for those wanting the best game: Jasper would have matched up much better if number 11 could have been in the game. Then Gilmer could not have keyed on 36, and that would have probably freed up number 25 for some long runs also. It sure worked against Tatum as just alluded to in a recent post. It might not have changed the winner, but I think for sure the game would have been much more competitive. But injuries are part of the game; and that is how it played out. Cheering for Gilmer next week!