Jeff Traylor's next landing Spot

Coach Rab

Well he has some TRS things to think about

So that might keep him in the state at a state school for retirement considerations

SFA just let 3/4 assistants go but I doubt that's and option because of the pay

If I was Kingsbury I would be on the phone trying to get a pipeline going to Lubbock

So that might keep him in the state at a state school for retirement considerations

If I was Kingsbury I would be on the phone trying to get a pipeline going to Lubbock

That's the only thing I can think of that would lure him back to the High School ranks is the retirement benefits. While it's almost like a lottery, the college ranks offers a chance for a big payday if he can build his brand and be recognized as good coach. He'd have to work his way up to a Coordinator spot, and then the next step would be a huge payday if he could make it to a Power 5 school.

I'm sure he would be happy at A&M. I Could also see Gilbert going to Baylor and wanting Jeff to come along.

I hate it most for his daughter. Great kid, Smart girl, good athlete, and will probably soon be attending her 3rd high school. That's kind of tough.

Speaking of Morris and SMU, they are the school most poised to take advantage of the Baylor debacle. So Morris might stay at SMU and offer for Traylor to come there.

I'm sure he would be happy at A&M. I Could also see Gilbert going to Baylor and wanting Jeff to come along.

I hate it most for his daughter. Great kid, Smart girl, good athlete, and will probably soon be attending her 3rd high school. That's kind of tough.

Speaking of Morris and SMU, they are the school most poised to take advantage of the Baylor debacle. So Morris might stay at SMU and offer for Traylor to come there.

I'd bet daughter would stay where she is, and I'd bet he lands at SmU if I were a betting man

Would love to see him at sfa. I have not been impressed with conque. I have always felt that east Texas has always been missing from sfa. Not since trotter was here did we have a team of east Texas players.
  • Like 1

No one wants to touch that right now. They just offered Chad Morris huge money and he turned it down (more or less).

Yes, the program has been through hell and back, but your information about Baylor offering Morris or his agent anything, a contract or verbal agreement is completely wrong no matter what's been reported. I promise you.

• Like 2

That's the only thing I can think of that would lure him back to the High School ranks is the retirement benefits. While it's almost like a lottery, the college ranks offers a chance for a big payday if he can build his brand and be recognized as good coach. He'd have to work his way up to a Coordinator spot, and then the next step would be a huge payday if he could make it to a Power 5 school.

I remember when he went to UT, reading that he still would get Teacher Retirement from working there. Not sure if that is all state universities or just UT..

I don't know Coach Traylor like many of you do. I do know of his coaching skills and the indelible mark he left in East Texas. Just a few questions here related to this topic;

• Do you think he is completely ready to be the head coach at a Texas A&M, SMU, Baylor type program?
  • Would he be a better fit at a school like SFA, A&M Commerce, Sam Houston, East Texas Baptist or University of North Texas, maybe Texas State?
  • Is he more valuable as a top assistant at Texas, A&M, SMU, Baylor or maybe TCU?
  • Top High School programs like Southlake Carroll, Euless Trinity, Desoto, Cedar Hill, Lake Travis, Katy, etc?
  • Or even make a move for an out of state school that could blossom into an annual National contender like Louisville, Kentucky, Tennessee or maybe a school like Tulsa or Tulane?

I remember when he went to UT, reading that he still would get Teacher Retirement from working there. Not sure if that is all state universities or just UT..

Once you begin making close to half a million a year with the potential for far more from your "day job," I would think concerns about what one might receive from a TRS would begin to fade away into the sunset.

• Like 1

TTU needs a defense coordinator but if he can help recruit them I am all in.

Decision factors:

Actual offers he has.

Family.

Career path.

Geography

Non-factors:

Retirement....he is set with TRS.

Pay Scale....this is determined by the career path. He has options for career path. Pay is apples to apples depending on the path he chooses. Example; a head coach at a large high school makes more than coordinators at a SAM of SFA. Good chance even some High School head coaches make more than some of the head coaches at some of the small universities.

For Jeff to go to a small university would mean that is the PATH he and his family have chosen, it would not be for money or lack of! He chose the UT Big 12 path a few years ago. Well, once you choose that path, then you have to be prepared for the "what if's". The "what if" has now happened, and at that level being an assistant can mean MANY moves and many moves that have huge chunks of mileage attached to them. It isn't like moving from Gilmer to Longview. You can take Chad Morris for example. He moved all over the state of Texas as a successful high school coach. JUST TEXAS! Once he hit the college ranks his moves were all over the nation to move up the ranks. After much success as a coordinator he finally landed a sub-par job as the head man at SMU. Jeff is a great coach and would be a great coordinator or head coach in the college ranks. However, he is a small fish in a big lake right now and if he stays at the D1 level he will have to work his way up as others do. Those big dogs don't just hand over jobs to successful high school coaches.

• Like 4

Decision factors:

Actual offers he has.

Family.

Career path.

Geography

Non-factors:

Retirement....he is set with TRS.

Pay Scale....this is determined by the career path. He has options for career path. Pay is apples to apples depending on the path he chooses. Example; a head coach at a large high school makes more than coordinators at a SAM of SFA. Good chance even some High School head coaches make more than some of the head coaches at some of the small universities.

For Jeff to go to a small university would mean that is the PATH he and his family have chosen, it would not be for money or lack of! He chose the UT Big 12 path a few years ago. Well, once you choose that path, then you have to be prepared for the "what if's". The "what if" has now happened, and at that level being an assistant can mean MANY moves and many moves that have huge chunks of mileage attached to them. It isn't like moving from Gilmer to Longview. You can take Chad Morris for example. He moved all over the state of Texas as a successful high school coach. JUST TEXAS! Once he hit the college ranks his moves were all over the nation to move up the ranks. After much success as a coordinator he finally landed a sub-par job as the head man at SMU. Jeff is a great coach and would be a great coordinator or head coach in the college ranks. However, he is a small fish in a big lake right now and if he stays at the D1 level he will have to work his way up as others do. Those big dogs don't just hand over jobs to successful high school coaches.

Tru storie. Example: Todd Dodge. As successful a high school coach as this state has seen, and I don't doubt he would have been a successful college coach had he taken the same route as Traylor. However, he went straight from the HC job as Southlake Carroll to the HC job at UNT, and he looked to be in over his head. That is a huge jump.