Carthage vs China Spring

CarthDawg77

Carthage vs. China Spring  

98 members have voted

1. 1. State semifinals. Who wins?

#6 guys from what I've heard. Abiline W knows about as well. Just going off What I've heard. Mark Couisins also knows.

Well your story just blew up on FSSW. When it turns out to be false, I would hope that you are man enough to come on here and apologize to the student, his family, and everyone from Carthage for slander. What exactly are you hoping to prove with this?

I could've moved to California and Smoaky.com would keep rolling, it's been fun to add Central Texas to the mix, especially when the two region's collide in the playoffs.

You're welcome.

I don't believe so, I broadcast 2003, The Woodlands 50 Tyler Lee 48 (3-OT) at Texas Stadium, but I don't believe I've done anything past 3-OT's.

I remember that Tyler Lee game. Epic.

Well your story just blew up on FSSW. When it turns out to be false, I would hope that you are man enough to come on here and apologize to the student, his family, and everyone from Carthage for slander. What exactly are you hoping to prove with this?

Wait, so it got substance???

I suspect most readers share my lack of knowledge about the Abilene Wylie team this year. Please enlighten us.

Sure thing. Wylie is I think without a doubt the most disciplined team in the state. They won't miss an assignment and will probably have less than 5 penalties. Their defense is amazing, CS linebackers were great. Wylie linebackers are just as good, if not better. Hard to tell since CS was playing Carthage. Also their corners and safeties are equivalent to how good their linebackers are. Levelland QB had the most yards and tds in the state and he couldn't throw on them at all. Carthage can't have as many turnovers as they did tonight or they will lose, plain and simple. Wylie field goal kicker is great. Just look at them like the Argyle teams of past years, with probably a bit better defense. Again if Carthage comes out and plays great ball I like them in this game, too many athletes for Wylie to handle. Wylie probably won't turn it over and if Carthage does Wylie will absolutely capitalize on them.

​ATTENTION! THERE ARE MULTIPLE DAWGS DOWN ON THE FIELD AND IN THE STANDS DUE TO THRILLING, HEART ATTACK STYLE FOOTBALL. KEEPING THE SCORE TOO CLOSE AND RAISING OUR ANXIETY HAS LED TO HEART PALPITATIONS FOR THOUSANDS OF DAWGS AND THEIR FANS. I SAY AGAIN...MULTIPLE DAWGS DOWN!! CARDIOLOGISTS ARE CONVERGING ON CARTHAGE AS WE SPEAK TO ASSIST.

• Like 1

ET Football: Carthage downs China Spring in 3OT, returns to state

George Whitley

By George Whitley

Dec. 10, 2016 at 7:56 p.m.

Updated Dec. 10, 2016 at 7:56 p.m.

FRISCO Finding redemption on the football field can be as easy as the very next play. Carthages Keaontay Ingram had suffered three fumbles in Saturdays Class 4A, DI semifinal against China Spring at the Star.

But likely all the people will be talking about years from now is how Ingram put the Bulldogs on his back and pushed his way across for the game-winning TD in a scintillating 26-20 triple overtime victory.

A rock-solid second half defensive effort coupled with a pivotal pick in the third extra series by Mekhi Colbert set the table for Carthages improbable win.

Carthage (12-2) moves on to face Abilene Wylie (12-1) Friday in the Class 4A, DI title tilt at AT&T Stadium in Arlington.

The Bulldogs were able to overcome five turnovers and even survived a missed 37 yard field goal by the Cougars in the second OT to advance to their sixth state championship in school history.

Kason Davis slipped a 22-yard scoring peg to Dewaylon Ingram in the waning moments of the third quarter and Brandon Medranos point after knotted the score at 20-20.

The Bulldogs converted a fourth down when Davis paired up with Dewaylon Ingram on a 13-yard comeback when seven yards was all that was needed to extend the drive.

Davis was 20 of 36 for 237 yards with two scoring tosses, while Keontay Ingram finished with 27 carries for 166 yards and two touchdowns. He also eclipsed the 2,000-yard mark rushing for the season.

After China Spring (13-2) increased its four-point halftime lead to 20-13 on a 29 yard field goal from Griffin Kenneaster with 8:11 left in the third, the Carthage defense put up a roadblock and pitched a shutout the rest of the way.

The Cougars were limited to four first downs in the second half and 89 yards total offense. The Bulldogs racked up a total of 414 yards offense and 17 first downs.

Davis was picked at the close of regulation in the back of the end zone by Traveler Surley. Regulation play concluded with a punt that exhausted the final 10 seconds and sent the game to OT.

Carthage won the toss and chose defense first. The Cougars netted eight yards on first down by Cutter Haigood, who wound with 138 yards rushing, but on 35 in the second half. The Bulldogs turned back three consecutive stabs at the heart of the defense and the ball went over on down.

Keaontay Ingram was jarred loose of the ball on Carthages initial snap of overtime and it was recovered by Garrett Moorfield. The Bulldogs turned right back around and line up on offense for the second OT.

The teams traded back-to-back missed field goals as the third overtime arrived with China Spring possession. Haigood went up top attempting to connect with Brett Cain. Colbert had great position and pulled in the pass. It proved to be the only Cougar turnover of the contest, but it was a most costly one.

Keaontay Ingram slashed the Cougar defense for 22 yards on first down and the Bulldogs started to smell victory. It took two more tries before Ingram burst across the for the game-winner.

The Cougars were able to extract a 16-play, 77-yard drive before the half that chewed up 4:47 of the game clock. The end result was a 30-yard field goal off the foot of Kenneaster and a 17-13 lead at the break.

Key in the methodical march was three consecutive third down converts. Prior to the possession the Cougars were 1 of 5 on third down execution.

Wide out Brett Cain cradled a Cutter Haigood pass on one knee to convert a third and nine with his 10-yard reception. Keaton Dudik plowed out an eight-yard run on third and two, while Haigood, who finished the half with 103 yards rushing, moved the markers three yards on third and three.

Carthage grabbed a quick 7-0 lead to open when Davis tossed in the flats to Dee Bowens, who darted 37 yards to the China Spring 37. Davis, who was 13 of 19 for 190 yards in the half, tagged Colbert for 15 more on the very next snap.

The Dogs found the promised land when Davis lofted a beautiful 22-yard fade to Colbert in the back left corner of the end zone. Colbert was blanketed by Hobbs Price to no avail.

Brandon Medrano drilled the point after to cap the 5-play, 74-yard drive that gave Carthage an early 7-0 lead with 10:46 still showing in the opening frame.

The Cougars needed six snaps to find the equalizer as Haigood tossed a nifty scoring toss to Kody Fulp on fourth and goal from the Bulldog one. Kenneaster was true on the kick and with 8:32 left in the first it was all tied up 7-7.

Carthage was struck with misfortune following a 57-yard China Spring punt when Keaontay Ingram hit the hole on first down, spun to his right and had the ball pop straight up in the air. The Cougars got a gift when Garrett Moorfield pounced on the loose leather.

Haigood once again caught the Bulldog defense off balance when he located a wide open Tyrick James on a 22-yard wheel route and a 14-7 Cougar lead at 3:59 of an eventful opening quarter.

The Bulldogs moved the ball well on their next possession as Davis connected with Colbert on a deftly placed 23-yard sideline peg on fourth and six.

Ingram, normally a sure-handed runner, suffered his second mishap when Shannon Beaman came up with the fumble as the first quarter drew to a close.

China Spring was three and out following the turnover and punted back to the Bulldogs. Eight plays and 75 yards later, Ingram spiraled in on a toss from Davis from three yards out at 9:09 of quarter two. The point after afre the toe of Medrano slide off to the left and Carthage trailed 14-13.

He had minus-8 yards rushing entering the game, 2-rushing TD's, and the 14-yard scramble was brilliant and a huge field position play. But, don't kid yourself, he's not a running threat but loved watching him throw it around, great arm and accuracy.

Thanks for the comment. I was trying to provide some color since I couldn't make the game. Enjoyed listening to y'all.

He had minus-8 yards rushing entering the game, 2-rushing TD's, and the 14-yard scramble was brilliant and a huge field position play. But, don't kid yourself, he's not a running threat but loved watching him throw it around, great arm and accuracy.

Smoak, the crowd was STUNNED when he made that run. He had so many opportunities to run but never did. Glad he decided to on that in big play.

Didn't think they could do it.

Toss up game vs Silsbee which it was

Blowout win which was against Forest school no one ever heard of, vs Rival Henderson toss up game , Stafford the only one I picked against Carthage, now this one. Never seen a team overcome missed extra points, fumbles.

Congrats Abilene will be tough but Carthage can do it.

Lion70 I think its time to get over your little rivalry against Carthage becuz you are a Hendersonian. It's time for you to rip off your Lion tee shirt and reveal that you have a red Bulldog shirt on underneath it ! Woof! Woof! Goooooooooo Dawgs!

Do not post rumors on here when it comes to players... pointing out his # is naming him which goes beyond the Terms of Service of this site. I will not roll any heads during State Championship week, but bring this mess up again without a link and I will see you next season...

• Like 1

Thought the interview with China Spring coach before the game was a little interesting when he said he heard Surratt made a lot of money. Now we hear this about a player after the game is over and they got beat. Beginning to form some thoughts about China Spring.

Thought the interview with China Spring coach before the game was a little interesting when he said he heard Surratt made a lot of money. Now we hear this about a player after the game is over and they got beat. Beginning to form some thoughts about China Spring.

This mess ain't on China Spring. Best I can tell they run a pretty stand up program. Not sure if you guys saw it or not, but when Carthage played our school song after game was over the entire CS team, coaching staff, etc. stood out of respect and faced our band until it was over. I know how incredibly difficult that must have been for them. That is a class move!