4A Division 1 State Championship Game: Carthage vs Abilene Wylie @ AT&T

CarthDawg77

State Final  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins????

A "wash" at best seems to indicate that Coach Surratt may come out 2nd best in this matchup. Hard to believe.

If I'm not mistaken Carthage is surratt's first head coaching job. So far in his 10 years his winning percentage is prolly north of 85% and has won four titles and in the 5th. No doubt sandier is a good coach. If he outcoaches surrat he'll have done his homework. He better enjoy it in the first half because Carthage is as good as I've seen at halftime adjustments.

Not saying it isn't a wash, but he'll have to bring his A game

​REPORT FROM DAWGLAND: DAWGS AND FANS HEADY IN DAYS JUST BEFORE UPCOMING STATE CHAMPIONSHIP. NITROGLYCERIN TABLETS FLY OFF PHARMACY SHELVES IN CARTHAGE AS DAWG FANS ANTICIPATE MORE HEART ATTACKS.

You must be a cardiologist, or might possibly need to go see one, with all the conversation that you have about heart attacks. You have got to learn to pace yourself and take deep breaths at the games. Everything gonna be alright by Bob Marley. Go Dawgs!!!
  • Like 1

I think realeagle has it right with a close Wylie win.

Wylie will turn this game into a grind with a lower score. The big throws that Carthage is used to getting won't be there. If Carthage takes shots down the field, they'll turn it over.

To repeat: the Carthage short and intermediate throws will be hard to come by. The Wylie secondary hits hard, and their coverage schemes are dynamic, not what you usually see at the high school or college level.

Wylie will make them string together plays. Will Carthage hit on one or two long runs from scrimmage? Maybe, but expect a defensive game where possession time and turnovers key the win.

Two other factors:

1. The Wylie offense is much better than advertised. If you're only looking at the Kennedale game, keep in mind that the easiest way to beat that elite K. team was to let them implode. That's what they were close to doing all year.

2. Hugh Sandifer is on a roll as the Wylie coach. He's a hall-of-famer doing perhaps his finest work yet, winning with teamwork, not stars.

​You don't really have any idea of what Coach Surratt is or might do in the title game. I happen to know the man. He is whip smart; I can verify that much. We are not scared of Wylie.

You must be a cardiologist, or might possibly need to go see one, with all the conversation that you have about heart attacks. You have got to learn to pace yourself and take deep breaths at the games. Everything gonna be alright by Bob Marley. Go Dawgs!!!

I've never had a heart attack, cuz I'm healthy I'm just goofing that's all.

I've seen Sandifer led teams at Abilene Wylie beat far more talented teams in the playoffs more times than I could count since 2000 when I started following the game on a statewide level....they do a great job...

Royse City played Abilene Wylie in 2004 in the State Semi-Finals at Texas Stadium. Hugh Sandifer turned the second half around and flat out 'whupped' us. He has been coaching at Abilene Wylie for over 30 years and is in his 25th. year as the head football coach. There is no doubt in my mind that this game is featuring two of the best football coaches in Texas. The other coach that was coaching for Royse City that night is Rodney Webb, Webb is now a highly successful head football coach at Rockwall. Webb is quickly becoming one of the top ten coaches in the state. Sandifer and Surratt are in the top ten as well.

Part of an article about Sandifer follows;

"And develop it has. Over the past 10 years, Wylie has been among the most successful high school programs in the state, going 107-27 with six semifinals appearances and all three of the Bulldogs' trips to the 3A state championship game".

Royse City played Abilene Wylie in 2004 in the State Semi-Finals at Texas Stadium. Hugh Sandifer turned the second half around and flat out 'whupped' us. He has been coaching at Abilene Wylie for over 30 years and is in his 25th. year as the head football coach. There is no doubt in my mind that this game is featuring two of the best football coaches in Texas. The other coach that was coaching for Royse City that night is Rodney Webb, Webb is now a highly successful head football coach at Rockwall. Webb is quickly becoming one of the top ten coaches in the state. Sandifer and Surratt are in the top ten as well.

Part of an article about Sandifer follows;

"And develop it has. Over the past 10 years, Wylie has been among the most successful high school programs in the state, going 107-27 with six semifinals appearances and all three of the Bulldogs' trips to the 3A state championship game".

Surratt is 117-27 since coming to Carthage in 2007, we were state champions 2008 through 2010 and again in 2013. Very impressive stats on the Wylie coach, this will be their first championship game since 2009(correct me if I am wrong). China Spring has a well respected coach. The coaches, players, and fans stood as our school song was being played after the game was over, very classy group and I will always respect them for their sportsmanship. Go Dawgs!!!!

I recognize that Surratt is brilliant, and my comments about Sandifer's coaching are no disrespect to him. I am telling you the game planning at Wylie has been unbelievable over the last 2 years. This team has improved exponentially from week to week, and they get are getting the most out of their players.

I don't think there's a way to maximize players any more than they are doing.

There's no question that Carthage has more talent and speed going into this game, but I think you'll be shocked at the tackling and scheme you'll see out of Wylie. This isn't the steel curtain, and I didn't make that claim. But Wylie is a solid high school team on par with the strong teams that Carthage has played this year.

I recognize that Surratt is brilliant, and my comments about Sandifer's coaching are no disrespect to him. I am telling you the game planning at Wylie has been unbelievable over the last 2 years. This team has improved exponentially from week to week, and they get are getting the most out of their players.

There's no question that Carthage has more talent and speed going into this game, but I think you'll be shocked at the tackling and scheme you'll see out of Wylie. This isn't the steel curtain, and I didn't make that claim. But Wylie is a solid high school team on par with the strong teams that Carthage has played this year.

We All should have a better idea about which coach & team is better by about 8:00 PM this Friday...😏
  • Like 1

Carthage should have gone to the first or second round before they were knocked out of the playoffs, they have far exceeded my expectations this year.They have not been dominate as some of the teams in the past, but they display a tremendous team effort that is very inspiring to watch. The defense has improved tremendously the last few games against teams that we were not supposed to beat, surprise we are still here. Surratt has got the most out of his players and they have kept improving, our offense is balanced and we can attack you in many different ways. I feel that Wylie will be like the other good teams that we have faced, it will be fun to watch the coaches try to guess what the other one is planning next. The fans should get to witness a great game between 2 equally impressive coaches. In the end, the team that executes the coaches game plan the best should win. I hope to see Carthage win the title for the 5th time. If not, the best team won and we live to fight another day. Go Dawgs!!!! One game at a time!

Surratt is 117-27 since coming to Carthage in 2007, we were state champions 2008 through 2010 and again in 2013. Very impressive stats on the Wylie coach, this will be their first championship game since 2009(correct me if I am wrong). China Spring has a well respected coach. The coaches, players, and fans stood as our school song was being played after the game was over, very classy group and I will always respect them for their sportsmanship. Go Dawgs!!!!

​Regarding what J345 said...What exactly is "talent" ? and here we go again with the speed myth. Players that are a part of a team and work together don't necessarily have to be talented. They can make big plays and hurt the opponent if they play with heart and determination. And again, many teams that have made it to Texas state finals throughout history were not known as speed teams. They just played smart football that the other team could not figure out.

• Like 1

Carthage should have gone to the first or second round before they were knocked out of the playoffs, they have far exceeded my expectations this year.They have not been dominate as some of the teams in the past, but they display a tremendous team effort that is very inspiring to watch. The defense has improved tremendously the last few games against teams that we were not supposed to beat, surprise we are still here. Surratt has got the most out of his players and they have kept improving, our offense is balanced and we can attack you in many different ways. I feel that Wylie will be like the other good teams that we have faced, it will be fun to watch the coaches try to guess what the other one is planning next. The fans should get to witness a great game between 2 equally impressive coaches. In the end, the team that executes the coaches game plan the best should win. I hope to see Carthage win the title for the 5th time. If not, the best team won and we live to fight another day. Go Dawgs!!!! One game at a time!

It's not the defense has gotten better, it's just that the offenses they've faced aren't as good as some they faced before they got out of region. Silsbee, Henderson and Stafford possibly win other regions if they're not in with Carthage. China Spring might not have beaten any of those 3 teams either.

• Like 1

It's not the defense has gotten better, it's just that the offenses they've faced aren't as good as some they faced before they got out of region. Silsbee, Henderson and Stafford possibly win other regions if they're not in with Carthage. China Spring might not have beaten any of those 3 teams either.

The "last few games" include those teams.

I've been to Every Carthage game this year except Carthage vs Chapel Hill, & I can promise you this Defense has gotten Much, Much better with each game... The Dawg "D" is playing Lights Out at this point! GO DAWGS!!! Just ONE MORE TIME & #5 is YOURS👑👑👑👑👑 !!!!!

​OKAY DAWGS AND DAWG FANS, TOMORROW IS THE BIG DAY! AT EXACTLY 3:59 PM FRIDAY, A BIG COLLECTIVE WOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFF !!!!!! ​WILL BE LET OUT AT COWBOYS STADIUM. ARE WE READY?!?! YES WE ARE! OUR HOUNDS ARE STRAINING AT THEIR LEASHES, FOAMING AT THE MOUTH, PAWING AT THE GROUND, AND WE ARE COMING AFTER YOU ABILENE WYLIE !!!!!!

​OKAY DAWGS AND DAWG FANS, TOMORROW IS THE BIG DAY! AT EXACTLY 3:59 PM FRIDAY, A BIG COLLECTIVE WOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFF !!!!!! ​WILL BE LET OUT AT COWBOYS STADIUM. ARE WE READY?!?! YES WE ARE! OUR HOUNDS ARE STRAINING AT THEIR LEASHES, FOAMING AT THE MOUTH, PAWING AT THE GROUND, AND WE ARE COMING AFTER YOU ABILENE WYLIE !!!!!!

" The preceding announcement brought to you by the makers of 5Hour Energy Shots...."😜
  • Like 2