Jump to content
The Smoakhouse Forums

Dream matchups you'd like to see your high school football team play?


Recommended Posts

On 12/22/2016 at 7:39 PM, Hlion said:

Some schools should play for geography purposes like Chapel hill vs Arp

Carlisle vs Troup Overton vs West Rusk, Spring Hill vs Pine Tree. Some should play for competitive Gilmer vs Kilgore , Marshall vs Carthage, Henderson vs Gilmer , Marshall vs Nac .

You got your wish from 2016 with Marshall playing Carthage and Nac.   We’ve had both on the schedule the last 2 seasons.  

I hope The Marshall/Carthage series continues.  It’s a great matchup with a fantastic crowd for both.  

Before 2018.... Marshall Vs Nac was was a tough sale because there was always a chance of them meeting in the first round of the playoffs (like we did in 2014).  Now we are district mates. Only way I see us becoming a non-district game is if Marshall was aligned into region II and Nac was in Region III.  Then there is a question of competitiveness.  

I’d also love to see a series with Lufkin come to pass. Just to mix things up. Haven’t faced them since 2004 I believe. I have tremendous respect for the LP program.  I’d like to see us be competitive against them. 

If Texas High doesn’t end up in our district... and they were to go region II and we remained in region III.... I’d love to see that become a non-district game too.  Mucho respect for THS.

I have mixed feelings about Kilgore.  They were our most fierce rivals from 2002-2013. Great fans.  But.... I really want to stick to 5A competition for non-district. Carthage is a rare animal.  Only makes sense to play them.  Kilgore, whom I have tremendous respect for, really doesn’t do much for us.  We’re 2 divisions above them.  I’m torn about it. Ticket sales makes it a no brainer. But.... I dunno. 

So my ideal non-District schedule would be something like: 

Carthage, Lufkin, Texas High.  Then head into district.  

JMHO

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And they would have gotten destroyed by 6 or 7 TDs. Nobody on that defense was stopping McGee or Ivory, and Kilgore offense wasnt moving the ball on Cortez Beall and those boys.

No.  And I have TREMENDOUS respect for Carthage. 

I wish we could have seen end of the season 2008 Carthage versus Longview, DeSoto, Southlake Carroll, etc   Dwight Smith behind that offensive line, and Si Blackshire and his receiving corp. Then ad

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

You got your wish from 2016 with Marshall playing Carthage and Nac.   We’ve had both on the schedule the last 2 seasons.  

I hope The Marshall/Carthage series continues.  It’s a great matchup with a fantastic crowd for both.  

Before 2018.... Marshall Vs Nac was was a tough sale because there was always a chance of them meeting in the first round of the playoffs (like we did in 2014).  Now we are district mates. Only way I see us becoming a non-district game is if Marshall was aligned into region II and Nac was in Region III.  Then there is a question of competitiveness.  

I’d also love to see a series with Lufkin come to pass. Just to mix things up. Haven’t faced them since 2004 I believe. I have tremendous respect for the LP program.  I’d like to see us be competitive against them. 

If Texas High doesn’t end up in our district... and they were to go region II and we remained in region III.... I’d love to see that become a non-district game too.  Mucho respect for THS.

I have mixed feelings about Kilgore.  They were our most fierce rivals from 2002-2013. Great fans.  But.... I really want to stick to 5A competition for non-district. Carthage is a rare animal.  Only makes sense to play them.  Kilgore, whom I have tremendous respect for, really doesn’t do much for us.  We’re 2 divisions above them.  I’m torn about it. Ticket sales makes it a no brainer. But.... I dunno. 

So my ideal non-District schedule would be something like: 

Carthage, Lufkin, Texas High.  Then head into district.  

JMHO

 

Marshall 5A Div 2

Kilgore 4A Div 1

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

Marshall 5A Div 2

Kilgore 4A Div 1

Thanks for the correction. I thought Kilgore was 4A Div II

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/13/2019 at 8:46 PM, HJR7 said:

Means absolutely nothing.  Kilgore had about 6 or 7 D1 Athletes on their Defensive alone. 

And they would have gotten destroyed by 6 or 7 TDs.

Nobody on that defense was stopping McGee or Ivory, and Kilgore offense wasnt moving the ball on Cortez Beall and those boys.

  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Stinks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CtownBigDawg said:

You don’t think the Dawgs could compete against HP?

No. 
And I have TREMENDOUS respect for Carthage. 

  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, dhoop02 said:

PG VS TEXAS HIGH IT NEED HAPPEN BEEN WANTING THEM PLAY FOR LONG TIME IT WOULD BE GOOD GAME 

With it being somewhat difficult finding teams due to location you think they would play. Texas high just played Liberty Elyau so not much difference other than a tougher matchup.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Champ1000 said:

With it being somewhat difficult finding teams due to location you think they would play. Texas high just played Liberty Elyau so not much difference other than a tougher matchup.

Every school in Texarkana, including Arkansas High, has played each other except for PG and Texas, and with the insane amount of traveling both teams have had to do, and I’ve heard Arkansas doesn’t have it easy with travel either, all the schools there would finally just say screw it and schedule every single one of each other for non-district (besides PG and LE for obvious reasons)

Texas High and Arkansas High would also both be a much better challenge for PG to get ready for district rather than the long drives like Gladewater and Chapel Hill that they blow out pretty consistently.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Champ1000 said:

With it being somewhat difficult finding teams due to location you think they would play. Texas high just played Liberty Elyau so not much difference other than a tougher matchup.

As I said in another thread, it is a no win situation for T High. PG is slowly growing. LE has lost students and Texas High was slightly down at the high school level. T High still gets a few PG kids, but not like in years past. In addition, both schools are already competing for the Red Lick students after middle school. There have always been some dynamics in play, and will continue to be in the future.

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, swaha said:

As I said in another thread, it is a no win situation for T High. PG is slowly growing. LE has lost students and Texas High was slightly down at the high school level. T High still gets a few PG kids, but not like in years past. In addition, both schools are already competing for the Red Lick students after middle school. There have always been some dynamics in play, and will continue to be in the future.

If T High and P G played —

If T High wins, no big deal, they have a much larger high school enrollment....and very likely no P G football players(or any athlete) move because of that win

If P G wins, T High looks bad and possibly lose some 7th, 8th, 9th graders to P G - those who wouldn’t lose a year of eligibility on varsity. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

If T High and P G played —

 

If P G wins, T High looks bad and possibly lose some 7th, 8th, 9th graders to P G - those who wouldn’t lose a year of eligibility on varsity. 

PG is getting these transfers in MS now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

If T High and P G played —

If T High wins, no big deal, they have a much larger high school enrollment....and very likely no P G football players(or any athlete) move because of that win

If P G wins, T High looks bad and possibly lose some 7th, 8th, 9th graders to P G - those who wouldn’t lose a year of eligibility on varsity. 

Like you said years past PG lost lots good players T-high times have changed now players wanting come too Da Grove now say let's make it happen these two teams need play have good feeling that it would be battle over at Grim maybe something workout for it happen does anyone know who PG or Texas High playing in non district or they looking for Game if so nothing better than city game on Friday Night 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mTex said:

Texas High and Arkansas High would also both be a much better challenge for PG to get ready for district rather than the long drives like Gladewater that they blow out pretty consistently.

One year isn’t what most would consider consistently. Neither is that 1-1 record over the last two seasons against them. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cotton84 said:

If T High and P G played —

If T High wins, no big deal, they have a much larger high school enrollment....and very likely no P G football players(or any athlete) move because of that win

If P G wins, T High looks bad and possibly lose some 7th, 8th, 9th graders to P G - those who wouldn’t lose a year of eligibility on varsity. 

Didn't Texas just play Liberty Eylau which is in the same Division? What is the issue?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Champ1000 said:

Didn't Texas just play Liberty Eylau which is in the same Division? What is the issue?

There are more dynamics at play involving T High and PG, then T High and LE. Alot of it has to do with how PG high school came in existence over 30 years ago. With PG being limited open enrollement now, PG is a bigger threat to Texas High for students. That was not the case 3 years ago. It is a unique situation because TISD has a Stem Academy directly across the street from the PG high school. In addition, TISD built a new elementary campus less than a mile from PG high school within the last 5 years. I know some of the history but not like some of the PG guys that saw the split and HS come to frution. I will never say the two schools will not play; however, I just do not see it happening any time soon.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, dillonpanthers said:

Dave Campbells put an update out. They project Carthage to go district 6 region 2 with bullard, brownsboro, van, wills point, canton. 

They have district 5 as north Lamar, PG, LE, gilmer, pitt, SH

I would love that! Not having to go Southeast Texas for district and playoffs!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/29/2019 at 6:58 PM, ANTI said:

And they would have gotten destroyed by 6 or 7 TDs.

Nobody on that defense was stopping McGee or Ivory, and Kilgore offense wasnt moving the ball on Cortez Beall and those boys.

😂😂😂

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...