Best Carthage RB Ever

HearEmaGrowlin

Guys, in another ongoing thread we stumbled upon another thread topic.

Who do you all think is the best Carthage Bulldog running back ever and rank your top 5 to 10 backs.

I tried to add a poll to this thread, but couldn't figure it out.

Here's my top 10:

1. Dwight Smith

Unbelievable RB with everything you dream of if you're a coach, offensive lineman or Carthage fan. Speed, power, vision, size, swagger

2. Johnnie Balous

This guy could take over a game all by himself. Just like Smith, Balous could outrun defenders, juke them or run through them. Beast. If Balous had been blessed with the OL Dwight Smith had there's no telling what records he'd still hold.

3. Boo Beechum

Talk about a powerful, fast RB; Boo ran over people every Friday night for fun. Boo had muscles on top of muscles and was a bull, a very fast and shifty bull. Then Boo would take a breather and we'd bring in a younger RB named Jamon Edwards, then get down to a freshman at the time named Jason Teague who was All State as a safety his senior year and went on to win a Rose Bowl with TCU as a DB. Teague played RB at CHS and I have as the 11th best RB in Carthage history.

4. Kris Briggs

Kris held the Bulldog career rushing record for quite a while and was a great running back who carried our offense for 3 years under Sleepy Reynolds. It was Briggs left, Briggs right, Briggs up the middle!

5. Jamon Edwards

Speed, moves, super athletic and lots of fun to watch

6. Tevin Pipkin

Pipkin is the all time rushing leader by total yards. Pipkin was a smaller back who could wiggle through the smallest of holes and had enough speed to go the distance or get very close every time he broke loose. Pipkin was also a lot stronger runner and harder to tackle than opponents expected until after the game had been played.

7. Hunter Holland

HH was big time dependable and faster than people thought. Holland was very strong and difficult to get on the ground. Holland was a pretty good sized guy by his senior year. One of the very best performances by an Carthage running back ever was Hunter Holland's game against Brownwood in the 2010 semifinals was unbelievable.

8. Keaontay Ingram

I understand Ingram still has his senior year to go, but his junior year alone gets him into my personal top 10 Bulldogs running backs list. Ingram's playoff game against Henderson in Longview and the state championship game against Abilene Wylie were impressive. I fully expect Ingram to shoot up this list after next season!

9. Marlon Bolton

Bolton was the feature back on the 1991 team that went to the state championship game and lost to A&M Consolidated.

10. Tyrone Allison

This guy had elite speed and was a track star.

What do y'all think?

Go Dawgs!

Kris Briggs is hard not to have #1 on this list. Dwight Smith is on there too. Jamon Edwards was a man child. He was built like a Greek god in HS. Boo was a heck of a back. Strong as an ox. He was probably the strongest kid on the team. Tevin holds the all time rushing record. But Keontay will have a chance to make a case for #1 all time. I want to see him as his body matures and he puts some muscle on in the offseason. He has a great frame to put some weight on. If he gets bigger and faster, he is going to be frightening for opposing defenses. Carthage has a couple of good lineman coming back, and we have some big kids coming up that will be juniors next year. Ingram is going to have a chance to have an all time great season next year.

Did any of these backs go on to a college career? I think Briggs went to SMU didn't he?

Yes Briggs went to SMU and later played I think was on the Packers practice squad. Dwight Smith should be playing on Sunday's. The others named played at a time when kids from Carthage were not getting D1 looks, so things just never worked out. It's much different now.

Did any of these backs go on to a college career? I think Briggs went to SMU didn't he?

George Johns, who should be on the list - in the top 5, at the least - went to Northeast Louisiana (now Louisiana - Monroe), when John David Crow was the head coach there.

There was also a running back from Carthage who played at North Texas. In fact, he may have led them in rushing yardage one year. Was that Darrin Collins?