Fox News Showing Doc About Lincoln's Assassination: Was Boothe Right Or Wrong ?

romansoldier1

Fort Sumter was an act of aggression. While South Carolina felt they had the right to attack the Union had to respond. This was an act of war, and that's when the Civil War began. The Confederacy had already withdrawn from the Union without a single shot being fired. We've all heard for secession of Texas from the Union in recent years, and Ft. Hood has been brought up not counting the other bases and forts that are in Texas. If Texas did secede we don't know how Washington would respond, but I'm sure if we attacked their military installations that war would result as well.

​I think at least half of the army would definitely NOT support a war against their own countrymen. If we tried to secede peaceably, most soldiers would refuse to fight us. I didn't say we should secede; I just think the states have their rights that should be respected.

​I think at least half of the army would definitely NOT support a war against their own countrymen. If we tried to secede peaceably, most soldiers would refuse to fight us. I didn't say we should secede; I just think the states have their rights that should be respected.

Also, Ft Sumter was a RESPONSE to the North's blatant aggression. See the threats made by Simon Cameron against the south.

There was a great deal of anti-war sentiment in the north. If the southern hotheads had not fired on Sumter I am not certain that Lincoln could have garnered the support needed to wage war.

That anti-war sentiment manifested itself in the worst riots in US history in NYC in 1863. It was bad enough that Major General John Wool said that "Martial law ought to be proclaimed, but I have not a sufficient force to enforce it."

South Carolina was a sovereign state; it shouldn't have been forced to remain in a union that was antagonistic to its best interests. FORCING a state to remain in a union is not freedom or consent of the governed. The Yankees should not have dared step one foot on the sovereign soil of South Carolina. The land in the state was won by hard fighting against Indians who murdered even children and women. it was won by honest toil. Its earliest pioneers and settlers were members or veterans of the Continental Army and patriot militias. Lincoln respected NONE of this. South Carolina made the right stand and a noble one it was indeed.

South Carolina was a sovereign state; it shouldn't have been forced to remain in a union that was antagonistic to its best interests. FORCING a state to remain in a union is not freedom or consent of the governed. The Yankees should not have dared step one foot on the sovereign soil of South Carolina. The land in the state was won by hard fighting against Indians who murdered even children and women. it was won by honest toil. Its earliest pioneers and settlers were members or veterans of the Continental Army and patriot militias. Lincoln respected NONE of this. South Carolina made the right stand and a noble one it was indeed.

I'm sure the indigenous people already occupying the land for eons would take exception to your statement...

There was a great deal of anti-war sentiment in the north. If the southern hotheads had not fired on Sumter I am not certain that Lincoln could have garnered the support needed to wage war.

That anti-war sentiment manifested itself in the worst riots in US history in NYC in 1863. It was bad enough that Major General John Wool said that "Martial law ought to be proclaimed, but I have not a sufficient force to enforce it."

I agree.

As far as the Indians are concerned, I support General Andrew Jackson and his campaign against them. Without that, we would not have gotten Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, and Florida. And I don't think any Americans are rushing to give their land and homes back to the Indians. Although I do think the Indians had interesting and natural civilizations. Also, all the Indian tribes fought one another so they were just as warlike as Jackson and his troops. It is human nature to be covetous, so you either conquer or become conquered. What sparked the outrage of South Carolinians against the Cherokees was the incident in which a man, who had not harmed Indians was taking his grand daughter out to his berry orchard because she asked her PawPaw to take her to pick and eat the berries. A party of Cherokees ambushed and murdered the man and his grand daughter and mutilated their bodies and scalped both of them. After that, the white citizens of SC and GA formed militias and drove the Indians out of not only South Carolina, but also the northern and western halves of Georgia. History books in public schools only tell kids about the Trail of Tears but they never tell you what atrocities the Indians committed to be put on that trail.

reading all of this is way more entertaining than College US History....

US History has been the victim of unpopular political correctness. We are supposed to live in a majority rules nation but school boards and curriculum directors usually yield like cowards to ONE SINGLE PARENT COMPLAINT, and next thing you know, that ONE SINGLE PARENT controls the politics of the entire district. This practice must stop. They need to tell that complainer to sit down and shut up or run for office if she(he) wants to change things. And Texas can print and write its own textbooks; we don't need Chicago or New York to write our books. Cut their contracts, find another publisher.

Could you please provide a link to this article? I, for one, am intrigued...

All it takes is reading differing viewpoints from any kind of conflict to get an idea where the truth actually lies. Smoaky doesn't allow me to post links for some reason. I haven't been able to post links, pictures, copy and paste, etc. for a couple of years.

Here is just one site http://www.southernheritage411.com/truehistory.php?th=010 that provides some little known facts about that time in American history that is not told in our "U.S. History" books. There's also other good reads.

Another good read: http://www.etmonline.com/cw/dixie.htm

Another viewpoint: http://www.confederateamericanpride.com/10causes.html

I have often read about Lincoln, and have read many debates as to the causes of the Civil War. Once I figured out that you can't just see the whole truth by seeing one side of the debate, I figured it was worth looking into. After all, if the war was about "slavery", why would an overwhelming majority of Confederates support and fight a war over it when only a very tiny minority of southerners owned slaves. The South was well on its way to abolishing slavery before the war started, not to mention many in the North still owned slaves, even though they were supposedly against it. It just didn't make sense to me.

The more I read, the less I like Lincoln. The way I see it, he was the main catalyst for the war between the states. Common sense will tell you that once you see all sides, the results from the war notwithstanding, that he had little respect for the Constitution, and the reasoning behind secession of the Southern states. He had to be heartless, was a racist, was going to do whatever he could to get the South back into the U.S. because of the tax monies lost, and incited the South into a war. The abolishing of slavery was an afterthought, in my opinion.

These are just my opinions, so take 'em or leave 'em. :lol:

All it takes is reading differing viewpoints from any kind of conflict to get an idea where the truth actually lies. Smoaky doesn't allow me to post links for some reason. I haven't been able to post links, pictures, copy and paste, etc. for a couple of years.

Here is just one site http://www.southernheritage411.com/truehistory.php?th=010 that provides some little known facts about that time in American history that is not told in our "U.S. History" books. There's also other good reads.

I have often read about Lincoln, and have read many debates as to the causes of the Civil War. Once I figured out that you can't just see the whole truth by seeing one side of the debate, I figured it was worth looking into. After all, if the war was about "slavery", why would an overwhelming majority of Confederates support and fight a war over it when only a very tiny minority of southerners owned slaves. The South was well on its way to abolishing slavery before the war started, not to mention many in the North still owned slaves, even though they were supposedly against it. It just didn't make sense to me.

The more I read, the less I like Lincoln. The way I see it, he was the main catalyst for the war between the states. Common sense will tell you that once you see all sides, the results from the war notwithstanding, that he had little respect for the Constitution, and the reasoning behind secession of the Southern states. He had to be heartless, was a racist, was going to do whatever he could to get the South back into the U.S. because of the tax monies lost, and incited the South into a war. The abolishing of slavery was an afterthought, in my opinion.

Thanks, I'll study on them awhile!

From what I have read and have been taught the war was fought over the Souths right to succeed from the Union, the reason the South wanted to succeed was because of Slavery. Both are the reasons, ole Abe told the South they could keep their slaves for the time being but could not expand into the western states. Why the South thought they could win the war is beyond me the North had all of the industry and the South had only the plantations and very little industry outside of King Cotton.

From what I have read and have been taught the war was fought over the Souths right to succeed from the Union, the reason the South wanted to succeed was because of Slavery. Both are the reasons, ole Abe told the South they could keep their slaves for the time being but could not expand into the western states. Why the South thought they could win the war is beyond me the North had all of the industry and the South had only the plantations and very little industry outside of King Cotton.

​wrong Wild74, the war was also about the punishing tariffs the North had placed on the entire South and about the new territories becoming states and about whether states have rights or not. States definitely have rights and Lincoln quashed them, so I have no sympathy with Lincoln.

As far as the Indians are concerned, I support General Andrew Jackson and his campaign against them. Without that, we would not have gotten Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, and Florida. And I don't think any Americans are rushing to give their land and homes back to the Indians. Although I do think the Indians had interesting and natural civilizations. Also, all the Indian tribes fought one another so they were just as warlike as Jackson and his troops. It is human nature to be covetous, so you either conquer or become conquered. What sparked the outrage of South Carolinians against the Cherokees was the incident in which a man, who had not harmed Indians was taking his grand daughter out to his berry orchard because she asked her PawPaw to take her to pick and eat the berries. A party of Cherokees ambushed and murdered the man and his grand daughter and mutilated their bodies and scalped both of them. After that, the white citizens of SC and GA formed militias and drove the Indians out of not only South Carolina, but also the northern and western halves of Georgia. History books in public schools only tell kids about the Trail of Tears but they never tell you what atrocities the Indians committed to be put on that trail.

There were atrocities from both sides, and I hate Jackson for the way he handled the Indians especially since the Cherokees had helped him win the Battle of Horseshoe Bend in the War of 1812. In most cases including both the Brits and the U.S. they were the one's that broke the treaties by attacking villages and towns or encroaching on Cherokee lands.

​Good points Good points. If you will forego the internet research and find some good, older books about the southern states, you will have a better understanding of the true events and situations. I believe in Manifest Destiny. If it didn't happen, we would all still be in Europe. And I don't see any liberals giving their land and homes back to the Indians, so they really don't care about Indians or other people , except every 4 years when they need their votes.

While Lincoln was personally opposed to slavery he waged war to preserve the Union...not to end slavery. You can google Lincolns wartime letter to Horace Greeley to get Abes thoughts in his own words

but you should study WHY he wanted to preserve the Union. Like I said, the colonies did not give up their rights simply by joining a union to fight the Redcoats. the North is mistaken if it thinks so.

There were atrocities from both sides, and I hate Jackson for the way he handled the Indians especially since the Cherokees had helped him win the Battle of Horseshoe Bend in the War of 1812. In most cases including both the Brits and the U.S. they were the one's that broke the treaties by attacking villages and towns or encroaching on Cherokee lands.

​Wrong, the Indians helped the British fight our Continental soldiers and militias in the 1770s and 1780s and THAT is why the Indians were punished.

From the link provided:

On a human level there were 4 causes of the war--New England Greed--New England Fanatics--New England Zealots--and New England Hypocrites. During "So Called Reconstruction" ( 1865-1877 ) the New England Industrialists got what they had really wanted for 40 years--THE SOUTH'S RESOURCES FOR PENNIES ON THE DOLLAR. It was a political coalition between the New England economic interests and the New England fanatics and zealots that caused Southern secession to be necessary for economic survival and safety of the population.

1. TARIFF--Prior to the war about 75% of the money to operate the Federal Government was derived from the Southern States via an unfair sectional tariff on imported goods and 50% of the total 75% was from just 4 Southern states--Virginia- North Carolina--South Carolina and Georgia. Only 10%--20% of this tax money was being returned to the South. The Southern states were being treated as an agricultural colony of the North and bled dry. John Randolph of Virginia's remarks in opposition to the tariff of 1820 demonstrates that fact. The North claimed that they fought the war to preserve the Union but the New England Industrialists who were in control of the North were actually supporting preservation of the Union to maintain and increase revenue from the tariff. The industrialists wanted the South to pay for the industrialization of America at no expense to themselves. Revenue bills introduced in the U.S. House of Representatives prior to the War Between the States were biased, unfair and inflammatory to the South. Abraham Lincoln had promised the Northern industrialists that he would increase the tariff rate if he was elected president of the United States. Lincoln increased the rate to a level that exceeded even the "Tariff of Abominations" 40% rate that had so infuriated the South during the 1828-1832 era ( between 50 and 51% on iron goods). The election of a president that was Anti-Southern on all issues and politically associated with the New England industrialists, fanatics, and zealots brought about the Southern secession movement.

My Thoughts.....

The Hypocrisy of the author of the above statements is nothing short of breath taking...

He talks about "Northern Greed" & wanting Southern products for "pennies on the dollar..." all the while speaking in Favor of people engaged in the holding of Other Human Beings in bondage & Against Their Will for Precisely Those Same Reasons.....!

Slavery was, is, & Always Will be Wrong in a Nation which is built up to be a beacon for people who yearn for Their Own Freedom!

It was wrong & Had to be abolished, in order for This Country to Thrive & Prosper.

I once saw a bumper sticker on a truck which speaks Volumes.... "if I would have known All of This, I'd have Picked My Own Damn Cotton!"

I wish those who held slaves would have done the same thing, because the after effects of Slavery are still being felt today.

Pictures you have to make sure it has a good img extension at the end like .jpg .jpeg .img .gif etc.... then use img around like link.

Media we only really support YouTube. You have to use the main YouTube link in the address bar and not their links and enclose it with [media ] [/media ]

All of these without the spaces of course

Pictures you have to make sure it has a good img extension at the end like .jpg .jpeg .img .gif etc.... then use img around like link.

Media we only really support YouTube. You have to use the main YouTube link in the address bar and not their links and enclose it with [media ] [/media ]

All of these without the spaces of course

I have figured out how to manually do some of this, but even the icons on the menu don't pull anything down. I can do absolutely nothing with the menu at the top. I can't quote unless I open a new window. I can't copy and paste anything, including text, into any post or quote. I have to manually type in every single thing I want to put here. It takes all the fun out of smack talking because of laborious effort it takes to do anything. It needs to be much easier like it was a couple of years ago. I know there's some others that are having the same problems with this site as me, but apparently it's not everybody. What gives? What do I need to change in order to get things working again?

I have figured out how to manually do some of this, but even the icons on the menu don't pull anything down. I can do absolutely nothing with the menu at the top. I can't quote unless I open a new window. I can't copy and paste anything, including text, into any post or quote. I have to manually type in every single thing I want to put here. It takes all the fun out of smack talking because of laborious effort it takes to do anything. It needs to be much easier like it was a couple of years ago. I know there's some others that are having the same problems with this site as me, but apparently it's not everybody. What gives? What do I need to change in order to get things working again?

Best thing is google chrome browser... download it and use it instead of internet explorer

From the link provided:

On a human level there were 4 causes of the war--New England Greed--New England Fanatics--New England Zealots--and New England Hypocrites. During "So Called Reconstruction" ( 1865-1877 ) the New England Industrialists got what they had really wanted for 40 years--THE SOUTH'S RESOURCES FOR PENNIES ON THE DOLLAR. It was a political coalition between the New England economic interests and the New England fanatics and zealots that caused Southern secession to be necessary for economic survival and safety of the population.

1. TARIFF--Prior to the war about 75% of the money to operate the Federal Government was derived from the Southern States via an unfair sectional tariff on imported goods and 50% of the total 75% was from just 4 Southern states--Virginia- North Carolina--South Carolina and Georgia. Only 10%--20% of this tax money was being returned to the South. The Southern states were being treated as an agricultural colony of the North and bled dry. John Randolph of Virginia's remarks in opposition to the tariff of 1820 demonstrates that fact. The North claimed that they fought the war to preserve the Union but the New England Industrialists who were in control of the North were actually supporting preservation of the Union to maintain and increase revenue from the tariff. The industrialists wanted the South to pay for the industrialization of America at no expense to themselves. Revenue bills introduced in the U.S. House of Representatives prior to the War Between the States were biased, unfair and inflammatory to the South. Abraham Lincoln had promised the Northern industrialists that he would increase the tariff rate if he was elected president of the United States. Lincoln increased the rate to a level that exceeded even the "Tariff of Abominations" 40% rate that had so infuriated the South during the 1828-1832 era ( between 50 and 51% on iron goods). The election of a president that was Anti-Southern on all issues and politically associated with the New England industrialists, fanatics, and zealots brought about the Southern secession movement.

My Thoughts.....

The Hypocrisy of the author of the above statements is nothing short of breath taking...

He talks about "Northern Greed" & wanting Southern products for "pennies on the dollar..." all the while speaking in Favor of people engaged in the holding of Other Human Beings in bondage & Against Their Will for Precisely Those Same Reasons.....!

Slavery was, is, & Always Will be Wrong in a Nation which is built up to be a beacon for people who yearn for Their Own Freedom!

It was wrong & Had to be abolished, in order for This Country to Thrive & Prosper.

I once saw a bumper sticker on a truck which speaks Volumes.... "if I would have known All of This, I'd have Picked My Own Damn Cotton!"

I wish those who held slaves would have done the same thing, because the after effects of Slavery are still being felt today.

​The author of the link is correct. Also CarthDawg, Not sure if you realized this or not but most tribes in old Africa had slaves BEFORE slavery was practiced in America. Also the Muslim tribes especially were known to go to far-off areas and capture peoples of different tribes and bring them back thousands of miles over the desert back to their own villages, where they made them slaves until their natural deaths. I don't know if you read the book ROOTS, but it talks about this quite a bit. Needless to say, I was shocked when I first read this many years ago. The Mandinkas in particular had a very beautiful culture ( except the slavery ) The slavecatchers should have left them alone. Also, most people don't realize that slavery STILL EXISTS. People are being kidnapped at a frightening rate and taken to unknown locations, never to be seen again. Here we are debating about civil war and slavery in the 1800s, when modern slavery is everywhere. If you want to combat slavery, there is plenty of opportunity right in front of us. I encourage you to go and fight it, if you have the skills and knowledge to do so. Frankly, football is not nearly as important as that cause.