(Rumor) SEC looking at expansion, realignment?

Mr. P

Interesting rumor in Houston tonight. Sooners, OKState to SEC, with Bama, Auburn to SEC East. Rumors only, but interesting scenario!!

(reported on Twitter)

What do y'all think? Yeah yeah, sounds like some balderdash Don Castiglione "leaked" to test the waters and/or leverage some pressure. :lol: But interesting nonetheless.

This summer showed OU where they stand in the BIG 12 pecking order. The school with the most conference Championships is filling the new role of UTs little brother. They punted on Mayfields eligibility only to finally grant it to him. They denied Boren's advice to expand, decided to explore it only to decide they weren't gonna do it. OU can stay tied to UT and ride the sinking boat that is the Big 12 or jump ship. If I was Boren I'd make that move "Sooner" rather than later.

• Like 1

I don't think Okie State brings anything to the SEC at all.

They only reason that they would get added is to just get Oklahoma.

There are some teams on the East Coast that would make more sense than Okie State and then they could put Missouri in the West where they belong anyways.

• Like 1

I don't think Okie State brings anything to the SEC at all.

They only reason that they would get added is to just get Oklahoma.

There are some teams on the East Coast that would make more sense than Okie State and then they could put Missouri in the West where they belong anyways.

That scenario would probably move BAMA, Auburn, and Mississippi State to the east, which would allow Mizzou to go to the west. I think under this alignment, each team would have a permanent cross-division rival, plus two other cross-division games that rotate. I don't see how an eight game schedule makes any sense in a 16- team league. I would like to see a 9-game schedule now.
  • Like 1

Since we've opened this can of worms, I might as well fish a little. The new SEC divisions are as follows:

West. East

TAMU. UF

OU. UGA

OSU. USC

MIZZOU. AU

UA (Hogs). BAMA

LSU. UT

UM. UK

MSU. VANDY

Cross division rivals:

BAMA/ LSU (no-brained)

OU/ UF (just cuz)

Ole Miss/ Auburn (idk)

OSU/ Vandy

TAMU/ UT (Aggie could have fun with this)

Arkansas/ UGA (Hogs and Dogs, why not?)

MSU/ USC

MIZZOU/ UK

That scenario would probably move BAMA, Auburn, and Mississippi State to the east, which would allow Mizzou to go to the west. I think under this alignment, each team would have a permanent cross-division rival, plus two other cross-division games that rotate. I don't see how an eight game schedule makes any sense in a 16- team league. I would like to see a 9-game schedule now.

I would hope they drop the permanent rival thing. It's silly to begin with.

This summer showed OU where they stand in the BIG 12 pecking order. The school with the most conference Championships is filling the new role of UTs little brother. They punted on Mayfields eligibility only to finally grant it to him. They denied Boren's advice to expand, decided to explore it only to decide they weren't gonna do it. OU can stay tied to UT and ride the sinking boat that is the Big 12 or jump ship. If I was Boren I'd make that move "Sooner" rather than later.

This summer showed that boren likes to hear himself talk. He wanted expansion, but turned his nose up at the best candidates that showed interest. So he pretty much agreed with the big 12 needing to stay out until better teams were possibly available.

This summer showed that boren likes to hear himself talk. He wanted expansion, but turned his nose up at the best candidates that showed interest. So he pretty much agreed with the big 12 needing to stay out until better teams were possibly available.

He wanted expansion until it did not benefit OU anymore. That's his job.

• Like 1

He wanted expansion until it did not benefit OU anymore. That's his job.

The big 12 explored expansion mainly because boren was telling everybody the big 12 was going to. They pretty much showed him he needs to be quiet by showing him what there was out there at the moment.

The big 12 explored expansion mainly because boren was telling everybody the big 12 was going to. They pretty much showed him he needs to be quiet by showing him what there was out there at the moment.

Boren pumped the breaks once Houston became a serious choice, and once the media mob started barking about BYU's honor code.

Houston in the Big 12 was bad for everybody outside of Austin.

• Like 1

Boren pumped the breaks once Houston became a serious choice, and once the media mob started barking about BYU's honor code.

Houston in the Big 12 was bad for everybody outside of Austin.

Wasn't good for Texas either. Another Texas school in the conference recruiting against them.

Texas has wanted a campus in Houston for years. It was a good bargaining chip.

Houston gets the Big 12

Texas got their Houston campus.

They needed 8 votes for acceptance. Texas knew they'd never get it so they endorsed Houston to the big 12.

So, with Houston not being admitted, does UT still get their Houston campus?

Prolly not

Personally VA tech seems like a Sec school. I would add them and NC State. Leave everyone else. Ou has a great brand but not adding much other than a great program. TV sets do matter. That acc market is good. I doubt the sec expands unless they go to 16 team superconferenses, which kinda silly.

Well adding 2 would put them at 16.......