Longhorns 2017 Thread

JustAFan11

7 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

Definitely could've made more plays but he also made the biggest play of the game. He didn't give up on Grier and caused a fumble/touchback as well as sent Grier to the locker room for the day. 

Hes much improved over last season. Even the great ones take time to be great.

That play was effort/hustle.  Great play but it wasn’t skill, just effort and hustle.  I’m talking about all the times he could’ve made plays on the ball and had no idea where the ball was.  A safety has the advantage of seeing where the ball is going and he never knows the ball is in the air

if it takes time how does lsu and Bama get true freshmen or redshirt freshman to play and have all conference type years??? 

19 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

That play was effort/hustle.  Great play but it wasn’t skill, just effort and hustle.  I’m talking about all the times he could’ve made plays on the ball and had no idea where the ball was.  A safety has the advantage of seeing where the ball is going and he never knows the ball is in the air

if it takes time how does lsu and Bama get true freshmen or redshirt freshman to play and have all conference type years??? 

Jones has very little ball skills. He needs to sleep with one so he can recognize it better!!!

27 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Because LSU and Bama see like 1 good QB per year in conference play. 

Mom not saying Jones is a great player. He definitely needs to improve on playing the ball in the air but I didn't expect him to have an all conference type year in his first year of starting. 

Hes getting baptized by fire against some of the best qbs he'll face for the rest of his time at a Texas. 

• Like 1

Just now, JustAFan11 said:

Because LSU and Bama see like 1 good QB per year in conference play. 

Mom not saying Jones is a great player. He definitely needs to improve on playing the ball in the air but I didn't expect him to have an all conference type year in his first year of starting. 

Hes getting baptized by fire against some of the best qbs he'll face for the rest of his time at a Texas. 

This was a backup qb Texas played today, and Jones was lost.  We’re lucky Greer didn’t play or they’d have won 

52 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

Jones is also the reason Grier couldn't finish the game. 

If he becomes OU Roy Williams then I'll take that. 

52 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

Jones is also the reason Grier couldn't finish the game. 

If he becomes OU Roy Williams then I'll take that. 

He’ll definitely he’ll definitely hit u

that was a nasty shot of his finger

3 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

I’m not saying he’s a sorry player, just the most overhyped recruit Texas has had in a while.  

I get frustrated with Jones, but not any more than I do with Kris Boyd. I don't think it's fair to label him as over hyped. He is still young and I really don't think last year's coaching staff did him any favors.

10 minutes ago, Baron said:

I get frustrated with Jones, but not any more than I do with Kris Boyd. I don't think it's fair to label him as over hyped. He is still young and I really don't think last year's coaching staff did him any favors.

So answer my question I posed earlier.  How does lsu and Bama to get their guys playing at a high level as freshmen and redshirt freshmen?  The Texas defense has faced some good offenses I️ know, but those teams have faced some good ones as well.  Jamaal Adams came in and was an impact player as a freshman.  Patrick Peterson was the same.  Bama has had several come in, play three years and be drafted in the first round.  Jones is still a liability in coverage as a sophomore, big time.  Kris Boyd is a junior and he can’t find the ball in the air. Jones was the #1 safety in the country!!!   His play now as a sophomore says he was overhyped as the #1 anything 

if texas’ front 6-7 wasn’t very good texas would be in trouble

52 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

So answer my question I posed earlier.  How does lsu and Bama to get their guys playing at a high level as freshmen and redshirt freshmen?  The Texas defense has faced some good offenses I️ know, but those teams have faced some good ones as well.  Jamaal Adams came in and was an impact player as a freshman.  Patrick Peterson was the same.  Bama has had several come in, play three years and be drafted in the first round.  Jones is still a liability in coverage as a sophomore, big time.  Kris Boyd is a junior and he can’t find the ball in the air. Jones was the #1 safety in the country!!!   His play now as a sophomore says he was overhyped as the #1 anything 

if texas’ front 6-7 wasn’t very good texas would be in trouble

I think Bama and LSU (during the time of the players you mentioned) had such dominate front 7s, the DBs could focus almost exclusively on the passing game and progressed much faster because of this. Texas right now, like nearly every other team not named Bama or Ohio St, relies on their secondary to be more active in the run game because they can’t dominate with the front 7. 

• Like 1

We can compare a guy like Jamaal Adams to Boyd or Jones because they are on different learning curves for their college positions. 

Adams strictly focused on the defensive side of the ball in high school, while Jones played a lot of offense and Boyd played mostly offense in high school. 

Boyd may be the best RB on the team lol. The biggest difference for the 6A/5A kids in the big city schools is they don't have to play both ways like the East Texas kids do. Therefore they arent as prepared coming out of high school. These East Texas kids are more so great athletes than great technical football players at a certain position. 

11 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

We can compare a guy like Jamaal Adams to Boyd or Jones because they are on different learning curves for their college positions. 

Adams strictly focused on the defensive side of the ball in high school, while Jones played a lot of offense and Boyd played mostly offense in high school. 

Boyd may be the best RB on the team lol. The biggest difference for the 6A/5A kids in the big city schools is they don't have to play both ways like the East Texas kids do. Therefore they arent as prepared coming out of high school. These East Texas kids are more so great athletes than great technical football players at a certain position. 

Earl Thomas played at WO-S high school....a 3a at that time. I’d bet he played offense some too.  What was his excuse for being really good as a RS freshman?  

All im saying is jones was overhyped as a recruit by being the #1 safety.  The #1 player at their position shouldn’t take 3 years to mature into a solid player.  That’s why I’m saying he was overrated and over hyped.  That’s all. It’s pretty simple, when the frigginball is in the air, look for it.  

51 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

That’s right, I️ never thought I’d see the day when bowl eligibility was the pinnacle of a season

Wow, I thought that Texas fans would be happy after the last two years. I guess I was wrong.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Baron said:

Wow, I thought that Texas fans would be happy after the last two years. I guess I was wrong.

I️ still think Texas would be sitting at 8-3 right now, so yea 6-5 is a bit underwhelming.  Also at Texas bowl eligibility shouldn’t be the goal strives to reach.  

We are a fumble in OT and a bad INT in another OT game from that 8-3 mark.  I’m glad they get a bowl, extra practices, extra exposure, etc...  but going 6-5 isn’t what fans should expect.  

I'm 56 years old. Been a UT fan  all my life. Sent one kid their. My dream is to retire soon move closer to be able to see more games. During my time in the U.S.M.C 81-87 there was some highs and lows especially having to live in California. I am not satisfied with 6-5 by no means. I expect and want more. I am happy about being bowl eligible . That  leads to a lot of good things mentioned above. We have a new coach and have to start somewhere. We are a offensive line away from being a very good team. God knows we finally know how to tackle. Could hardly watch some games last year. Some fans are just hard to please and can't see progress, and at some point I can understand.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, 514 said:

I'm 56 years old. Been a UT fan  all my life. Sent one kid their. My dream is to retire soon move closer to be able to see more games. During my time in the U.S.M.C 81-87 there was some highs and lows especially having to live in California. I am not satisfied with 6-5 by no means. I expect and want more. I am happy about being bowl eligible . That  leads to a lot of good things mentioned above. We have a new coach and have to start somewhere. We are a offensive line away from being a very good team. God knows we finally know how to tackle. Could hardly watch some games last year. Some fans are just hard to please and can't see progress, and at some point I can understand.

Thanks for your service to our country!!

At the beginning of the year, I was a little iffy about getting a win against Tech, but that team is slowly crumbling and it's obvious that Kingsbury is the center in all of that. I was at the Tech/Baylor game and both teams were baaaad. I think the Horns get a solid W over Tech.