Sooners 2017 Thread

Mr. P

8 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

Not even close to being a OU fan here, but a little perspective: yes you are correct, big games can be decided by experience. However, as a head coach, the guy who got the win here is in his second season. This was his first big game as well. Were there decisions made by the OU staff that cost them the game? Sure, it happens in any close game. If you go and talk to any coach who’s ever lost a close game, he’ll likely say “This one could have easily gone the other way. If we make this play or that play, we win. And in most cases, he would be right. Bottom line is, there is a whole list of coaches, Bob Stoops included, who wouldn’t have gotten OU in the playoff. Before criticizing the guy for one game, look at the entire season. Sometimes you have to lose a couple of big games before you’re ready to win one. 

Agree with most of this. I give Smart a little more credit though. Been Coaching for 25 years, including  being a Coordinator for 4 national championships. Look at boy wonders resume compared to Smart and Go back and look at the halftime adjustments by Georgia and the lack of adjustments by OU.

2 hours ago, sawemoff said:

On the road at Ohio State week two was a pretty big game and he didn't flinch. I don't think that had anything to do with it. Riley got conservative after wins all year. We started 14-0 vs Texas, Baylor and Iowa State and allowed all three teams to take a lead in the 3rd.

Geez... Sounds like Mike Sherman's last year here. 

37 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Geez... Sounds like Mike Sherman's last year here. 

I think there is a definite learning curve in managing all the responsibilities of being a head coach. I think there is plenty for Riley to improve on, I'm just saying I dont think he was shaken by it being a big game. A slow start may have suggested otherwise, but in the first half he looked like he was on a completely different level than Smart or any other coach Georgia has seen all season.

Kirby Smart is a new to Head Coaching too and is finishing just his second year.  Riley just completed his first year. 

I know people are questing Oklahoma's play calling the 2nd half, well, I can assure you, just as many is questing Georgia's play calling the 1st half and some in the 2nd half as well.  Georgia has the best RB tandem in the country that at one time was averaging 19 years per carry and ended up around 10 yards per carry but they kept throwing the ball a lot more than they should have.  .   

14 minutes ago, RedCreek49 said:

Kirby Smart is a new to Head Coaching too and is finishing just his second year.  Riley just completed his first year. 

I know people are questing Oklahoma's play calling the 2nd half, well, I can assure you, just as many is questing Georgia's play calling the 1st half and some in the 2nd half as well.  Georgia has the best RB tandem in the country that at one time was averaging 19 years per carry and ended up around 10 yards per carry but they kept throwing the ball a lot more than they should have.  .   

100%. Like I said, had Georgia done what people thought they would, they may have won by 30. The talent gap in this game was enormous. 

3 hours ago, sawemoff said:

I think there is a definite learning curve in managing all the responsibilities of being a head coach. I think there is plenty for Riley to improve on, I'm just saying I dont think he was shaken by it being a big game. A slow start may have suggested otherwise, but in the first half he looked like he was on a completely different level than Smart or any other coach Georgia has seen all season.

Aye. All said and done, I was supremely surprised with what a job he did. I thought with Stoops leaving that OU would have trouble for a few years, but Riley came in and did an arguably better job right out of the gate. 

6 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Aye. All said and done, I was supremely surprised with what a job he did. I thought with Stoops leaving that OU would have trouble for a few years, but Riley came in and did an arguably better job right out of the gate. 

Chip Brown did predict OU to go 6-6, I believe. I think he also have Texas going 12-1 and to the CFP though...

38 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Similar to what Sumlin did with Johnny. These type of QB's don't come around often. 

28 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

Use to be a guy with good connections to the Texas AD department but he lost all that when Mack and Dodds left. 

Losing  Daylon Mack to the Aggies was tough, but I didn’t know Bobby Dodd ever coached at UT. Did he work under Darryl Royal? 

6 hours ago, sawemoff said:

100%. Like I said, had Georgia done what people thought they would, they may have won by 30. The talent gap in this game was enormous. 

The talent gap between Ds was enormous but OU has legit everything on offense this year... someone said the best overall collection of talent on one side of the ball that the B12 has ever seen...  hard to argue, but at some point you have to play defense and that falls on a guy that people have been calling for to go for a while...

11 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

The talent gap between Ds was enormous but OU has legit everything on offense this year... someone said the best overall collection of talent on one side of the ball that the B12 has ever seen...  hard to argue, but at some point you have to play defense and that falls on a guy that people have been calling for to go for a while...

OU was 161-0 all time when scoring 48 points. They are now 161-1

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Dunno what's more impressive... That that's their first loss or that they've scored 48 points 161 times. 

Well, they were in the same conference with A&M for several years, so that accounts for about 10 of those 161. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, trueblue82 said:

Well, they were in the same conference with A&M for several years, so that accounts for about 10 of those 161. 

GOOD ONE! GUYS LOOK AT THIS CLEVER GUY! AHAHAHAHAHAHA

However, if you'd have done your research, you'd have known that it didn't even happen 5 times, much less 10. Step up your trolling game- maybe look it up next time so you aren't completely wrong? See, the funny part is that you were trying to troll with that comment and instead made yourself look incredibly uninformed. 

19 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

GOOD ONE! GUYS LOOK AT THIS CLEVER GUY! AHAHAHAHAHAHA

However, if you'd have done your research, you'd have known that it didn't even happen 5 times, much less 10. Step up your trolling game- maybe look it up next time so you aren't completely wrong? See, the funny part is that you were trying to troll with that comment and instead made yourself look incredibly uninformed. 

My bad. I was basing it on your Aggies defensive performance since they’ve been in the league I watch. Are you telling me that, once upon a time, A&M actually TRIED to play defense? 

1 minute ago, trueblue82 said:

My bad. I was basing it on your Aggies defensive performance since they’ve been in the league I watch. Are you telling me that, once upon a time, A&M actually TRIED to play defense? 

Then, as I said, next time actually look it up so that you're informed and don't make another post like that. :)

• Mr. P locked this topic