Sooners 2017 Thread

Mr. P

We need about 6 more LBs like that on the roster at all times.

And that's the difference between OU and Bama/tOSU

Seriously... what happened? Admittedly, I don't follow recruiting that closely, but it seems like (since the Lance Mitchell/Teddy Lehman days) we've been limited to just one standout linebacker on defense. It's uncanny. Clint Ingram kinda apprenticed with Mitchell in '04, then Rufus Alexander supported Ingram in '05, then Curtin Lofton played with Alexander. But it tapered off to one main LB stud-captain, and even that was kinda hit and miss. Keenan Clayton, Ryan Reynolds (on the rare occasions he was healthy), Travis Lewis, Frank Shannon, and Eric Striker to name a few. But most of these guys made themselves into stars during their time at OU, not many of them came out of school highly-touted.

Granted, one of our can't-miss prospects died tragically (Austin Box), but it seems like we're getting big name freshmen or transfers at just about every position but linebacker. I don't know about you, but LB is pretty much the QB of the defense. We wouldn't skimp on middling signal-callers, why settle for 3-star linebackers?

Did some quick research on our top LB prospects of all-time, according to 247.

Notable ILB:

Never signed a 5* ILB

Tom Wort - 2009 - 4* Across the board. Pretty productive, but definitely not a star.

Ricky DeBerry - 2015 - 5* by scout, 4* by everyone else. Redshirted in 2015 and didn't see much action in 2016.

Curtis Lofton - 2005 - Highest rated ILB prospect of Stoops era - 4* Across the board (as high a 4* as you can be) - We all know how good he was.

Jacob Phillips and Levi Draper of the 2017 class will be the 2nd and 3rd highest rated ILB prospects of the Stoops era. Neither is 5*

Notable OLB:

Chris Patterson - 2004 - 5*, but never made it to Norman do to academics. Played JUCO and eventually landed at K-State

Zach Latmier - 2002 - 5*, solid contributor, but never a true star

Corey Nelson - 2010 - Very highly recruited 4*, very good at OU, but had some injuries

Austin Box - 2007 - 4*, highly rated, great talent. Dealt with some injuries. We know the story.

Ronnell Lewis - 2009 - 4*, Good athlete and hard hitter. Not much else

Caleb Kelly - 2016 - 5*, OU's highest rated LB prospect ever. Very solid freshman season

One big recruiting note: OT Brey Walker (5*, 2018) would be the 6th highest rated recruit in the Stoops era, if his ranking holds. Highest rated guy since Jermie Calhoun in 2008

Joe Mixon was the biggest prospect since DeMarco Murray. You can tell just watching him his simply the best player on the field most of the time. Recruiting matters.

• Like 1

While it's true that OUr offense will take a step back with Westbrook, and both Perine and Mixon leaving, I am still hopeful that we can be effective rushing the ball with our O line projecting to be very good next year.

And very encouraged about Caleb Kelly! 8 tackles in the Sugar Bowl in the first half, 12 for the game. A freshman record! Barring injuries, that kid is gonna be a monster! I think that we should have one of the best defenses in the conference next year.

Seriously I would put him on the field not as QB but that would give Ou a serious running threat you have to worry about. Does ou have a potential backup QB or is Murray pretty much #2.

RB depth not an issue. Murray won't take a snap as a RB at OU.

• Mr. P locked this topic