Sooners 2017 Thread

Mr. P

Apparently we had a silent commitment by a CB last night. No clue who.

Still waiting for the dust to settle on this Jacob Phillips/LSU mess.

Indefinitely suspended. He's done at OU.

Can "Running Back U" reload?

The Sooners have been through this before. Yeah, it’s tough to lose two amazing backfield talents in your Heisman-caliber quarterback’s final season, but I’m done betting against Lincoln Riley to do amazing things with the pieces he’s handed.

I just hope Riley doesn't abandon the run because "our RBs are inexperienced." :mad:

Sooners enter final recruiting stretch with few holes to fill

But just as important as filling in the last few gaps to the class is holding on to some of the commitments like Jacob Phillips, who are being lured away by other programs. The five-star linebacker committed to Oklahoma in October, but he's being heavily pursued by Ed Orgeron and LSU.
Earlier this week, the Sooners deployed Bob Stoops, Mike Stoops, defensive backs coach Kerry Cooks, linebackers coach Tim Kish and outside receivers coach Dennis Simmons to visit Phillips in his Nashville home.
With so many coaches descending on the 6-foot-3, 231-pound player's home, it's clear that keeping him from flipping to LSU is OU's top priority in the week and a half before the Feb. 1 signing day. Considering Phillips is heading down to Baton Rouge for a weekend trip with his parents, convincing him to remain loyal to the Sooners won't be easy.

Who's the last 5-star linebacker recruit we've had?

Just remembered this:

Did some quick research on our top LB prospects of all-time, according to 247.

Notable ILB:

Never signed a 5* ILB

Tom Wort - 2009 - 4* Across the board. Pretty productive, but definitely not a star.

Ricky DeBerry - 2015 - 5* by scout, 4* by everyone else. Redshirted in 2015 and didn't see much action in 2016.

Curtis Lofton - 2005 - Highest rated ILB prospect of Stoops era - 4* Across the board (as high a 4* as you can be) - We all know how good he was.

Jacob Phillips and Levi Draper of the 2017 class will be the 2nd and 3rd highest rated ILB prospects of the Stoops era. Neither is 5*

Notable OLB:

Chris Patterson - 2004 - 5*, but never made it to Norman do to academics. Played JUCO and eventually landed at K-State

Zach Latmier - 2002 - 5*, solid contributor, but never a true star

Corey Nelson - 2010 - Very highly recruited 4*, very good at OU, but had some injuries

Austin Box - 2007 - 4*, highly rated, great talent. Dealt with some injuries. We know the story.

Ronnell Lewis - 2009 - 4*, Good athlete and hard hitter. Not much else

Caleb Kelly - 2016 - 5*, OU's highest rated LB prospect ever. Very solid freshman season

Wonder how long Stoops will be there. He really needs another Championship to change is legacy. I bet he does for it all said and done.

Bob is 56 years old. He's already older than Switzer and Wilkinson were when they left OU (Barry was 51, Bud was 47). If he was gonna leave for another program, he woulda done it by now. Barring a Mack Brown-like collapse in the next few season, OU is gonna let Bob step down on his own terms.

At one point, I admit, I wondered if he'd eventually get worn out on the rat race and retire to coach Youngstown in his old age, but now I think he's too much of a "born-again Okie" to ever leave Norman. If you've ever lived there, you know what I'm talking about. The Stoops family is very involved in the Norman community.

I look for him to try and make a run at the title with Baker's senior year, then begin the process of grooming his replacement. Maybe doing something like naming Lincoln Riley "associate head coach" or something at the end of the season.

Bob is 56 years old. He's already older than Switzer and Wilkinson were when they left OU (Barry was 51, Bud was 47). If he was gonna leave for another program, he woulda done it by now. Barring a Mack Brown-like collapse in the next few season, OU is gonna let Bob step down on his own terms.

At one point, I admit, I wondered if he'd eventually get worn out on the rat race and retire to coach Youngstown in his old age, but now I think he's too much of a "born-again Okie" to ever leave Norman. If you've ever lived there, you know what I'm talking about. The Stoops family is very involved in the Norman community.

I look for him to try and make a run at the title with Baker's senior year, then begin the process of grooming his replacement. Maybe doing something like naming Lincoln Riley "associate head coach" or something at the end of the season.

At 56... he is still relatively young for a coach. I could see him going until he is 65. Although, he could retire early and get one of those $1.5m consulting jobs playing golf in Norman whenever he is ready :D

• Like 1

At 56... he is still relatively young for a coach. I could see him going until he is 65. Although, he could retire early and get one of those $1.5m consulting jobs playing golf in Norman whenever he is ready :D

You're not wrong, at the same time: he saw his father work himself to death as a coach. Bob's a big time family man. Surprisingly so for major college coach. It wouldn't astonish me to see him retire early to take a cushy "consulting" job that gives him more time at home.

• Like 1

Meh, I'm not really salty about this... he's an inside linebacker, now he can shine in the run-heavy SEC instead of chasing Big XII spread wideouts around for 3-4 years. Aranda has a solid rep as Defensive Coordinator and LSU regularly produces high draft picks. I doubt any golden Trans Ams were involved. :lol:

Meh, I'm not really salty about this... he's an inside linebacker, now he can shine in the run-heavy SEC instead of chasing Big XII spread wideouts around for 3-4 years. Aranda has a solid rep as Defensive Coordinator and LSU regularly produces high draft picks. I doubt any golden Trans Ams were involved. :lol:

I'm only salty about the timing. Don't flip a week before signing day when you have been sold for 6 months.

And it's not LSU has put a plethora of linebackers in the NFL the past 10 years. I can't even think of one off the top of my head.

• Like 1

I'm only salty about the timing. Don't flip a week before signing day when you have been sold for 6 months.

And it's not LSU has put a plethora of linebackers in the NFL the past 10 years. I can't even think of one off the top of my head.

LSU had NINE LBs on NFL Rosters this season.

http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=177165

• Like 1

• Mr. P locked this topic