Sooners 2017 Thread

Mr. P

He took Memphis from 4-8,3-9 his first two seasons to 10-3,9-3. He turned Paxton Lynch into a 1st rounder at QB. All without 4&5* recruits and at a basketball school to boot. Replaces Beamer at Virginia Tech and turns a 7-6 team into a 10-4 with a first year JUCO QB. With the facilities and resources A&M has with his ability it seems to maximize talent it could be a good fit. Seeing progression in players would be nice.

I don't mean to hijack your thread, but as a Sooner, Fuente is the Stoops replacement that I want. Yeah, right now Riley seems like the heir apparent, but I would LOVE for Fuente to come back to his alma mater.

EDIT: I moved this post from the Aggie coaching thread. Just seemed more appropriate here. What do y'all think? Looking down the road a pace, who would you like to see follow Stoops?

• Like 1

As a Sooner, Fuente is the Stoops replacement that I want. Yeah, right now Riley seems like the heir apparent, but I would LOVE for Fuente to come back to his alma mater.

What do y'all think? Looking down the road a pace, who would you like to see follow Stoops?

Fuente has to be the first name on the list if we had to replace Stoops tomorrow.

Fuente (obvious)

Narduzzi (very good defensive guy and has Pitt playing well)

Lincoln (Obvious)

Venerables (Always thought he was the next man in line.)

PJ Fleck (depending on how Minnesota goes)

Maybe Aranda if it's a few years away.

I think we still have a few years before we have to worry about that.

• Like 1

Fuente has to be the first name on the list if we had to replace Stoops tomorrow.

Fuente (obvious)

Narduzzi (very good defensive guy and has Pitt playing well)

Lincoln (Obvious)

Venerables (Always thought he was the next man in line.)

PJ Fleck (depending on how Minnesota goes)

Maybe Aranda if it's a few years away.

I think we still have a few years before we have to worry about that.

If Aranda never wants to be a HC, he will live a fine life in college football :lol: I can see in 4 yrs him making $3-4 mil just to coach defense in the SEC...

• Like 1

OLB prospect K’Jakyre Daley reaffirms commitment to OU. The outside linebacker prospect is no longer scheduled to visit Florida State.

Granted, he's only a mere 3-star, but the kid's got great size and upside. Highlights are impressive.

Simply for the sake of not losing guys, I'm glad this happened. I think this group is very tight knit, so much so that there would be a lot of pressure to decommit. I would worry that if one guy did it, the next would feel a lot less pressure.

• Like 1

Way Too Early Top 25 Rankings: http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18395211/alabama-crimson-tide-florida-state-seminoles-headline-way-too-early-top-25-2017

They've got OU at #10 which is still just a tad high for me (I'd prefer #15). We've got a LOT to prove going in to next year, and being "down" in the polls would be to our benefit.

How to Utilize Kyler Murray? http://www.crimsonandcreammachine.com/2017/1/16/14289362/oklahoma-sooners-football-using-kyler-murray

I've got an idea: as a very athletic backup. :lol:

From the article:

While Murray doesn’t have the size of either Perine or Mixon, he could still act as the wildcat quarterback in short yardage situations. There would be a real threat of a pass from Murray, a decent threat of Mayfield getting involved somehow in a pitch-back, but also a real threat that Murray would simply run the ball up the middle and try to push the pile.
The possibilities don’t stop there, though. With Murray’s elite athleticism, he can absolutely line up at either running back or wide receiver. He could actually play those positions like normal, or he could run the kinds of plays that Oklahoma called on Dede Westbrook for last year...

I don't mean to hijack your thread, but as a Sooner, Fuente is the Stoops replacement that I want. Yeah, right now Riley seems like the heir apparent, but I would LOVE for Fuente to come back to his alma mater.

Fuente has proven at every stop that he can coach. I'd much rather see him in Maroon than Cream(?).

I would prefer to see Murray permanently move to slot receiver.

is he scared of getting hit? Those 5 yard slants and crossing patterns are what makes slots so valuable... and if he is scared of taking a blast every once in a while, then he is useless.... He would be deadly on screens and such... but a 1 trick pony will get exposed.

is he scared of getting hit? Those 5 yard slants and crossing patterns are what makes slots so valuable... and if he is scared of taking a blast every once in a while, then he is useless.... He would be deadly on screens and such... but a 1 trick pony will get exposed.

This here. I have a gut feeling that he is afraid of getting blown up.

• Like 1

I'm trying to remember the A&M game where he had to leave the game. It wasn't a brutal hit. It wasn't a flagrant hit. It was just a good solid hit and he physically couldn't take it. He's a small framed guy. He can't take that physical punishment and hold up over the course of a season.

Not the 5'9" one. Didn't someone post something earlier showing A&M had the second or third smallest starting RB in the power 5

And that kid ran for over 1000 yards in the sec splitting carries. He's pretty damn good regardless of size.
  • Like 1

Baker ain't exactly a big dude either (listing him at 6-1 209 is generous) but he's tougher than one-eared alley cat.

Kyler may be so too, but he hasn't shown it yet.

Kyler has never had to fight for anything in his life. He doesn't know how to push through adversity, pain or problems. He may never amount to much because of this. Not that the kid is too small, he just doesn't have the desire.

Baker has had to fight for everything he has.

• Like 2

Kyler has never had to fight for anything in his life. He doesn't know how to push through adversity, pain or problems. He may never amount to much because of this. Not that the kid is too small, he just doesn't have the desire.

A kid like that is who you want leading your football team.

• Like 2

And that kid ran for over 1000 yards in the sec splitting carries. He's pretty damn good regardless of size.

I was the one that posted the size of RBs, and this was exactly my point. It was a reply to someone saying T. Carter didn't go to the SEC because he wasn't big enough.

No chance he's grown up since leaving A&M. Zero, tbh
  • Like 1

There's a chance. That doesn't change what I said about him though.

I personally think he starts for ou at some point and I think he plays well. I'm not saying he won't ever amount to anything. Just that he's never had to fight for anything before. Maybe he responds to having to compete for the job at ou.

• Like 1

Welllllll.... I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'd kinda like to hold out judgment until all the facts are in.

I kinda agree with the sentiment about kids who grow up getting whatever they want not being able to hack it when the chips are down. Part of me wonders if being ineligible this year stoked a fire in his belly, made him want to prove the naysayers wrong and leave A&M with egg on their face. Hard to say really, dealing with kids these days.

• Mr. P locked this topic