Cowboys 2017 Offseason Thread

• 2 weeks later...

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2017/02/20/cowboys-flip-trigger-on-tyron-frederick-get-under-cap/

Cowboys flip the triggers on Tyron Smith and Travis Frederick.

Frederick was set to make $14.2 million in fully-guaranteed base salary in 2017, while counting $14.9 million against the cap. The Cowboys had the option of lowering that base salary to the league minimum of $775,000, and converting the remaining $13.5 million to signing bonus and dividing it up in five equal shares. Doing this can lower his cap number to $4.1 million, opening up almost $10.8 mil in cap space in 2017.

Tyron Smith’s base salary was $10 million, with a $15.8 million cap charge. By lowering the base salary to $775,000, and prorating the remaining $9.2 million, Dallas can lower his cap charge to $8.4 million, opening about $7.4 million in space.

Dallas went from $11M over to $7m under the cap.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2017/02/20/cowboys-flip-trigger-on-tyron-frederick-get-under-cap/

Cowboys flip the triggers on Tyron Smith and Travis Frederick.

Frederick was set to make $14.2 million in fully-guaranteed base salary in 2017, while counting $14.9 million against the cap. The Cowboys had the option of lowering that base salary to the league minimum of $775,000, and converting the remaining $13.5 million to signing bonus and dividing it up in five equal shares. Doing this can lower his cap number to $4.1 million, opening up almost $10.8 mil in cap space in 2017.

Tyron Smith’s base salary was $10 million, with a $15.8 million cap charge. By lowering the base salary to $775,000, and prorating the remaining $9.2 million, Dallas can lower his cap charge to $8.4 million, opening about $7.4 million in space.

Dallas went from $11M over to $7m under the cap.

That also would be with keeping Romo. There will be other moves as well to clear up salary cap room, so his release isn't really necessary, unless we can pick up some defensive free agents. I'm still worried about the backup situation for Dak.

Sean Lee can still have his contract reworked. Tyrone Crawford could. Dez can but the money, age, length doesn't make it likely. It's either $5m now for Romo or $10m later. Been some interesting stories out lately about Romo. Some have him with a 4 team trade list. Texans, Cardinals, Chiefs and Broncos with a 3rd round pick as the collateral.

Sean Lee can still have his contract reworked. Tyrone Crawford could. Dez can but the money, age, length doesn't make it likely. It's either $5m now for Romo or $10m later. Been some interesting stories out lately about Romo. Some have him with a 4 team trade list. Texans, Cardinals, Chiefs and Broncos with a 3rd round pick as the collateral.

As I've said since reading an article that broke down the salary cap more than what I had read before that a third round pick isn't worth the money to pay to trade him for just a third rounder. I want a first round pick or release him in June.

• Like 1

Let's put Cleveland in the Dallas situation. If Dallas was on the market for a a QB would you trade for Romo? Take on that contract and give up a younger prospect? Or would you wait until the inevitable cut came? You'd be going up against a possible 30 other teams to sign him where as a trade he's yours. You'd want the cheapest move possible.

Let's put Cleveland in the Dallas situation. If Dallas was on the market for a a QB would you trade for Romo? Take on that contract and give up a younger prospect? Or would you wait until the inevitable cut came? You'd be going up against a possible 30 other teams to sign him where as a trade he's yours. You'd want the cheapest move possible.

Not with the Cowboys current salary cap issues. With Cleveland having a the cap space that they do, then you make the trade if you're not sure about RG III. They have almost $107 million in cap space ??? https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/cleveland-browns/ . The Cowboys only have $4 million in space if you click them. The Bronco's have almost $32 million in cap room. The Jets don't seem to have the cap room with only almost $8 million.

^ I think that's exactly why we need to expect the cut early and get the $5.1m. The money is needed now. With 19 free agents to re-sign and 8 draft picks to fill those holes, you need it. There's still two weeks for the Cowboys to trigger another contract or convert one for salary cap reasons. If you can get from $11m under to $20m before cutting Romo he might last until a June 1st cut. There's just too many moving pieces right now and justification for each path you wanna take.

^ I think that's exactly why we need to expect the cut early and get the $5.1m. The money is needed now. With 19 free agents to re-sign and 8 draft picks to fill those holes, you need it. There's still two weeks for the Cowboys to trigger another contract or convert one for salary cap reasons. If you can get from $11m under to $20m before cutting Romo he might last until a June 1st cut. There's just too many moving pieces right now and justification for each path you wanna take.

I think they have until March 10th to be under the salary cap, and can be slightly over going into training camp with draft picks and free agent prospect signings, but have to be under the cap by the time they make all the cuts. Unless the Cowboys can trade Romo for a high enough draft pick to compensate the small savings that they will receive, I think they can wait until June.

Dak is the future, so whether Dallas retains him, trades him or releases him doesn't matter to me. I simply want these stupid rumors to come to a stop : http://thelandryhat.com/2017/03/01/dallas-cowboys-sign-adrian-peterson-jamal-charles/ . There's no sense bringing him to the Cowboys, unless he'll play for league minimum. He still isn't going to get the touches he wants.

It looks like Alfred Morris is now trade bait as well : http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000789142/article/report-cowboys-will-try-to-trade-alfred-morris?campaign=fb-nf-sf59819595-sf59819595 . I'd rather have Morris than McFadden or Peterson. He's younger, and I still think he has something left in the tank. Maybe that's why they're trying to trade him. I wouldn't take less than a 4th rounder for him.

It looks like Alfred Morris is now trade bait as well : http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000789142/article/report-cowboys-will-try-to-trade-alfred-morris?campaign=fb-nf-sf59819595-sf59819595 . I'd rather have Morris than McFadden or Peterson. He's younger, and I still think he has something left in the tank. Maybe that's why they're trying to trade him. I wouldn't take less than a 4th rounder for him.

that would be nice, but I don't think there's a Chinaman's chance in hell we get a 4th rounder for him. we'd be lucky to get a 6th rounder for him, I think.

that would be nice, but I don't think there's a Chinaman's chance in hell we get a 4th rounder for him. we'd be lucky to get a 6th rounder for him, I think.

I agree, but it would be great. He's still young, and unlike McFadden he can handle the backup duties.

If you could deal a aged, injury concerned QB to a rival, get $5.1M in cap room AND get draft picks.....I'd really have to listen to that deal.

Cause our draft needs went from:

Pass Rusher

Cornerback(s)

Safety

Wide Receiver

To including:

Linebacker(Mike or Sam)

Tackle

Running Back

In Stephen and McClay I trust. With the cap room coming in '18 and '19 and we hit another two drafts like '16....old fans and the 90s babies may have a 70s flashback.

I'd make that trade in a heartbeat if it could happen. Washington wouldn't see another playoff win as long as Romo was there. While Cousin's had a great year last year, he's still a little on the uncertain side on if he can continue doing it. I know Shanahan loves Cousin's. If we could get San Fran's first and a few other picks. I'd make that deal.

• Like 1