Foul or No Foul?

Stoney

We're eating at a local Mexican food restaurant. They bring the chips and salsa around. Buddy's GF asks for butter to put in her salsa. I've heard of putting butter in sopapilas. I've not seen the salsa butter. She's from the Metroplex. So we give her a hard time about being a city slicker. Who does this to good salsa?

We're eating at a local Mexican food restaurant. They bring the chips and salsa around. Buddy's GF asks for butter to put in her salsa. I've heard of putting butter in sopapilas. I've not seen the salsa butter. She's from the Metroplex. So we give her a hard time about being a city slicker. Who does this to good salsa?

My late wife used to put squeeze butter in her salsa; I tried it & it was pretty good!😋

Definitely against established protocols..........

What are you talking about ? I thought this started at Mercado's in Tyler. It's actually pretty good. I think Casa Ole' in Tyler started putting butter on the table as well, but they don't do that in Houston. I might be wrong on my Mexican food restaurants. When we were kids my brother used to put the honey for sopapilla's on his refried beans. Back in the 70's when they used lard in them it tasted good, and I started doing it too. I don't do it anymore. I haven't at Tortuga's in two years, because I only know of the one in Galveston and one in Pasadena, but when they had one in the Woodlands they were the only Mexican restaurant that I know of that still used lard. Lard truly makes a difference in refried beans, or maybe that's just how I grew up with them tasting. It's hard to find a good restaurant that has good refried beans, but I've eaten at most Mexican food places and I still say 1. Casa Ole and 2. Pancho's. The others taste like mashed up pinto beans.

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen it all over the state, especially by chicks and little kids when the sauce is too hot.

Exactly... it takes the bite out of spicy salsa. I'm not a fan of it, but certain places where it's too spicy for my wife, she will do it...

But my theory on most foods is that if you have to add more to it to make it better after you paid for it at a restaurant, send it back.

• Like 1

One of my favorite hot sauces is Albert's from Kilgore. I've been eating it since I was a kid with Dorito's before there were any flavored Dorito's. Back in the day we would also put butter on plain tortilla's , and then fill them with Albert's and eat them. It was a great mix. When we finally got a microwave in the late 70's, we'd melt the butter on the tortilla's, roll them up, and pour Albert's inside like an enchilada. You can't beat that along with a cold Dr. Pepper. My Kroger's quit selling Albert's, but I have to have it for those reasons, and for eating eggs and tamale's. I never thought about it taking off the heat, but that it tasted so great. I never used butter with my chips, until I ate at Mercado's and gave it a try.

Maybe it's like cream gravy and ketchup. I used to love the Hot Biscuit's Chicken Fried steak, and dipping my fries and a couple of pieces of meat in the gravy and then the ketchup. I know Dennis the Menace loved ketchup on everything, but cream gravy, fries/CFS, and ketchup actually taste great.

• Like 1

One of my favorite hot sauces is Albert's from Kilgore. I've been eating it since I was a kid with Dorito's before there were any flavored Dorito's. Back in the day we would also put butter on plain tortilla's , and then fill them with Albert's and eat them. It was a great mix. When we finally got a microwave in the late 70's, we'd melt the butter on the tortilla's, roll them up, and pour Albert's inside like an enchilada. You can't beat that along with a cold Dr. Pepper. My Kroger's quit selling Albert's, but I have to have it for those reasons, and for eating eggs and tamale's. I never thought about it taking off the heat, but that it tasted so great. I never used butter with my chips, until I ate at Mercado's and gave it a try.

Maybe it's like cream gravy and ketchup. I used to love the Hot Biscuit's Chicken Fried steak, and dipping my fries and a couple of pieces of meat in the gravy and then the ketchup. I know Dennis the Menace loved ketchup on everything, but cream gravy, fries/CFS, and ketchup actually taste great.

Yes, it sure does..

Butter on salsa sounds crazy, but I've rarely found butter to ruin the taste of just about anything. At home, I like a hamburger steak ever so often. I've put salsa on to kick it up a notch. And when we get take home Mexican food, I have to have an extra pint. Do love good salsa.

Butter on salsa sounds crazy, but I've rarely found butter to ruin the taste of just about anything. At home, I like a hamburger steak ever so often. I've put salsa on to kick it up a notch. And when we get take home Mexican food, I have to have an extra pint. Do love good salsa.

I can't think of a thing that butter doesn't taste good on or with. While I don't care for it much on my steaks, because I prefer the taste of a rare steak. We're talking real butter not margarine or oleo. I haven't tried it with with several foods that I enjoy, but I don't think they need it. I could be wrong. Heck, I remember my Momma making pancakes out of biscuit dough swirling some real butter with Karo syrup, and it was just as good as Hungry Jack pancakes with Vermont Maid Syrup and margarine.

I can't think of a thing that butter doesn't taste good on or with. While I don't care for it much on my steaks, because I prefer the taste of a rare steak. We're talking real butter not margarine or oleo. I haven't tried it with with several foods that I enjoy, but I don't think they need it. I could be wrong. Heck, I remember my Momma making pancakes out of biscuit dough swirling some real butter with Karo syrup, and it was just as good as Hungry Jack pancakes with Vermont Maid Syrup and margarine.

I'm with you on butter on steak, although when I use to charcoal, I'd put butter on a first to get the fire going & char the outside. But no more after that..

I'm with you on butter on steak, although when I use to charcoal, I'd put butter on a first to get the fire going & char the outside. But no more after that..

Not me, a steak needs no butter. All it needs is to be flipped over a couple of times on the grill with mesquite infused charcoal. It get's rid of the E. Coli and blood.

Not me, a steak needs no butter. All it needs is to be flipped over a couple of times on the grill with mesquite infused charcoal. It get's rid of the E. Coli and blood.

A good steak doesn't need marinades or ketchup or steak sauce. If your having to do that to your steak your either a kindergartner or it's a bad steak. Medium rare is the only way to eat a steak.

A good steak doesn't need marinades or ketchup or steak sauce. If your having to do that to your steak your either a kindergartner or it's a bad steak. Medium rare is the only way to eat a steak.

I only marinade to make it spicy. I like a steak that's rare with some hotness to it on occasion. I love tabasco in gumbo, and that's the only way I can eat it. I've become the same way with eggs. Either I need salsa or jalapeno's with my eggs.

Next time you guys wanna try something good with your rare/medium rare favorite grilled steak, mix a heaping tablespoon of horseradish into a cup of sour cream & drag a bite of steak through that... Gooood!!!!

I love prime rib with horseradish for that extra bite, Of course raw oysters with ketchup, horseradish, and Worcestershire sauce. I was talking about the mild winter we've been having down here, and I've only been able to eat them once this winter. I love raw oysters from the Gulf.

I love prime rib with horseradish for that extra bite, Of course raw oysters with ketchup, horseradish, and Worcestershire sauce. I was talking about the mild winter we've been having down here, and I've only been able to eat them once this winter. I love raw oysters from the Gulf.

I do too... Fisherman's Market in Longview always has good ones! I ate some Pacific oysters once a long time ago & they were horrible. Never again...

I do too... Fisherman's Market in Longview always has good ones! I ate some Pacific oysters once a long time ago & they were horrible. Never again...

I did the same in Honolulu, and they were just too salty. I'll only eat them and soft shelled crab if they're from the Gulf. After the BP spill I gave up all seafood for two years from the Gulf, because I didn't trust it.

• Like 1