Marshall Football: Claude Mathis hired as AD/HFC

ontheinside

The school board is outstanding. They all have a true vision and always seem to make the best decisions with little or no bickering. Compared to what we saw a decade ago..... which was chaos, the true respect and cohesiveness of the current board is a breath of fresh air. It's been that way for 5-6 years now.

The the supt we had before was outstanding. He was instrumental in getting the $110 million bond passed that built new schools for all grades K-8. How many districts have every student in a new school? They got it done...... in East Texas.... in a district that's NOT rich. He simply moved to a bigger district.

Not sure about the current supt..... but I don't see the board tolerating him messing up what has been the most effective body we've had in a decade.

As for our HC..... I've heard he's interviewed for an AD job at a large 6A school in the DFW area. A somewhat high profile job.

Still no definitive word it seems.

Can't see him leaving coaching for an administrative position. JMHO.

His interview on NSD in the MNM basically stated how great it would be to coach on Friday night and drive across town to see his guys play at ETBU.

Lots of mixed signals it seems.....SO who knows. Ive heard he's gone. I've heard he's not. I heard he was dropped from consideration. I heard he pulled himself out. Some guys just apply around. No idea what's going to happen..... but he's turned things around in a hurry. And he got a HUGE gift from the boosters last year with the video board... and his wish list of an indoor practice facility and renovations at the stadium seems to be kicked around too. Hard to imagine a will to leave....but money talks!

Nothing has really changed thus far. But lots of chatter. LOTS.

Mavs SHOULD be loaded in 2017 They were very young in 2016 after a banner year in 2015. So it's interesting.

Stay tuned.

When the Supt( who is a former coach) stands on the sideline with his wife at every game, looking over your shoulder, it sends you a message. #1,that is just not done in the coaching world, just not done. #2 the Supt is looking for a reason to move you out and move one of "his guys" in. Seen it happen a 1,000 times. When a new Supt comes in and he is not the one that hires you, you better start looking. Marshall's coach knows that and that is a huge reason why you see what is going on with him looking around. Pretty pathetic way to do things by the new Supt, as Harper has done a GREAT job in Marshall. He walked into a complete dumpster fire program and has returned it to respectability and has it moving forward in the right way. Not to mention he is a hometown guy.

The Supt has done a lot of other things not athletics related that may see him on the list of short timers.

When the Supt( who is a former coach) stands on the sideline with his wife at every game, looking over your shoulder, it sends you a message. #1,that is just not done in the coaching world, just not done. #2 the Supt is looking for a reason to move you out and move one of "his guys" in. Seen it happen a 1,000 times. When a new Supt comes in and he is not the one that hires you, you better start looking. Marshall's coach knows that and that is a huge reason why you see what is going on with him looking around. Pretty pathetic way to do things by the new Supt, as Harper has done a GREAT job in Marshall. He walked into a complete dumpster fire program and has returned it to respectability and has it moving forward in the right way. Not to mention he is a hometown guy.

The Supt has done a lot of other things not athletics related that may see him on the list of short timers.

I'm not saying that you're wrong about Harper and the superintendent's relationship. But as far as the sup being on the sidelines, that happens in the majority of schools. That to me is not meant to send a signal to Harper.

Like I said I don't know the situation in Marshall. He could very well want "his guy" in place. But being on the sidelines isn't a red flag.

Others feel that the supt. is doing a great job in Marshall. IMHO, the success Harper had in Marshall is over-rated considering the abundance of talent there. Making the playoffs doesn't necessarily constitutes success, especially in a town like Marshall.....They beat who they were suppose to beat and wasn't competitive at all in defeat.

Others feel that the supt. is doing a great job in Marshall. IMHO, the success Harper had in Marshall is over-rated considering the abundance of talent there. Making the playoffs doesn't necessarily constitutes success, especially in a town like Marshall.....They beat who they were suppose to beat and wasn't competitive at all in defeat.

Those others would be very few..

Interesting. I've had the total opposite experience.

Exactly, everyone I've worked for was either and ex-coach or a want to be coach. In both instances they like dressing like coaches and acting like coaches and being on the sidelines. And the school board members want to control the horn, run threw tunnel or some other mechanism of the game so they can be on the sidelines too.

Exactly, everyone I've worked for was either and ex-coach or a want to be coach. In both instances they like dressing like coaches and acting like coaches and being on the sidelines. And the school board members want to control the horn, run threw tunnel or some other mechanism of the game so they can be on the sidelines too.

Yep, 100%

Not in the 25 years I have worked very closely with HS sports. They are in the stands and in the press box.

In Marshall, the Supt, principal, and whoever other school board people who wanted on the sideline have always stood at about the 20 yd line on the home side during games. It has never been "I'm watching you" thing, its always been about just being able to enjoy a good view of the game and still have a private conversation about whatever. The supt when I worked there would always spend about 5-10 minutes talking with me after I was done setting up the field pre-game. It's just what they have always done back to my high school years.

• Like 1

Thanks Mom

Love,

The Supt

I could be wrong....but I think Harper stays.

Things he said to the press on NSD..... and this week when the 2017 schedule was released sounds like someone that's planning on being around in 2017.

The job he's applied for is administrative. I think he still loves coaching.

As far as him underachieving here.... I completely disagree. In 2016 he had a very young offense and his QB never developed into a true leader or a strong pocket passer. Even with all that they still managed to win 6 out 7 games before losing to a Wylie East team that was LOADED (they beat state champion Highland Park the week before they beat us).

In 2015 he got us 3 rounds deep and we lost to a state runner up.

In 2014 he lead us in a playoff win NO ONE believed we would win......

2013....he inherited a dumpster fire of a program and still managed to get them into the playoffs where they lost to a semifinalist (or quarterfinalist...can't remember) in Wylie.

He's done well in a short amount of time. 2017 should look more like 2015 did IMHO. We shall see.

But I think he stays.... unless he's purposely keeping it to himself.... everything he's said to the media the last week or so sounds like a guy that's staying put.

I could be wrong....but I think Harper stays.

Things he said to the press on NSD..... and this week when the 2017 schedule was released sounds like someone that's planning on being around in 2017.

The job he's applied for is administrative. I think he still loves coaching.

As far as him underachieving here.... I completely disagree. In 2016 he had a very young offense and his QB never developed into a true leader or a strong pocket passer. Even with all that they still managed to win 6 out 7 games before losing to a Wylie East team that was LOADED (they beat state champion Highland Park the week before they beat us).

In 2015 he got us 3 rounds deep and we lost to a state runner up.

In 2014 he lead us in a playoff win NO ONE believed we would win......

2013....he inherited a dumpster fire of a program and still managed to get them into the playoffs where they lost to a semifinalist (or quarterfinalist...can't remember) in Wylie.

He's done well in a short amount of time. 2017 should look more like 2015 did IMHO. We shall see.

But I think he stays.... unless he's purposely keeping it to himself.... everything he's said to the media the last week or so sounds like a guy that's staying put.

One thing that Thed Harris and a few other coaches in ETX I worked with through Good Shepherd told me that as a coach, you put your resume out every year, whether you want a new job or not. Why? You never know if there is more money or a dream job that would have you. Such as Traylor to Texas. Or Briles to Baylor. Those opportunities are not there for you if you don't put your name in the hat.

In Marshall, there have always been rumors, but the transparency in the Board and what is actually happening with the Supt is foggy at best. Marshall does a pretty good job of keeping most of the administrative stuff quiet until they are ready for it to go public. If it comes out early, its because something horrible happened that they didn't see coming.

Any rift between a Supt and an AD is always going to be because of a couple of things. (1) The AD isn't winning enough. (2) The community collectively does not like the AD. (3) The Supt hates sports, hates the pay, and wants that money to go into education. (4) The AD does not have the resources he needs/wants and hates the Supt for it.

If it is ever anything more than those 4 things, we are talking small town drama....

• Like 1