Marshall Football: Claude Mathis hired as AD/HFC

ontheinside

Yep, best of luck to the Mavs in their search. I wonder if they will go after Surratt.

I'm sure they will call.

But the answer IMHO would be same for Marshall as it was for Texas High, Hallsville, Longview, or any other program in East Texas.

Thanks, but no thanks.

IF Surrat leaves Carthage.... it will be for a large 6A program or a college coordinator job.

No one in East Texas can match or beat what he's got in Carthage. And I'm not just talking money.

Next move by MISD is critical.

Hope we do a better job than we did in 2011.

Mavericks have a lot of talent returning in 2017.

• Like 1

If Marshall fans think they have a chance at Surratt they need to wake up. There is no way he is leaving a stable job that pays well, has steady administration and has proven to put forth the funds necessary to build a consistent winning program. If Coach Harper who was supposed to be the chosen one, the hometown guy fulfilling his lifelong coaching dream, only stays in Marshall 4 years I don't know if anyone will ever stay very long. It's becoming pretty clear to me that Marshall is nothing more than a stepping stone for coaches as well as administrators. The district doesn't pay well, the community is suspect when it comes to supporting education, and they don't always welcome "outsiders" very well. Marshall has always been a revolving door of superintendents, I believe that trend will continue. Superintendents will come in, do some good, and spring board that to a bigger, better paying job. I'm afraid the same thing is beginning to happen with the head football coach too. Come in, have some success, and move to the metroplex or Houston for a better paying job with much better facilities.

I wish Marshall nothing but the best and hope they find someone that is willing to anchor down and stay in order to build something special. Marshall has the athletes to be successful. I believe they need a serious upgrade when it comes to facilities, including a remodeling of the football stadium. I don't think that is likely however as I know Marshall is hurting financially. I'd be interested to see if David Brewer, who has been Coach Southern's OC since he came to Marshall, would be interested in coming back. I'm pretty sure he was a finalist when Harper was hired. Whatever the case may be I hope Marshall ends up with a good coach who will continue the prideful tradition of the Mavs!

Just for the record......the AD/HC position at MISD isn't a low paying job. It's not Longview-type money, but it's probably near the top of East Texas 5A.

But I doubt many districts in the region could compete with the money Duncanville ISD flashed at him for an administrative position without having to coach. Can't fault him for that.

Agree with the statement about Supt's using MISD as a stepping stone. But not so much about money.... but more about size. We are a medium sized district..... and Duncanville has almost 3 times as many students, which is where Dr. Smith went.

Every student in MISD will be in new schools K-8 starting next year thanks to a $110 million dollar bond (4 new schools). So I beg to differ about the "suspect when it comes to supporting education" statement.

Football remains to be seen. There is tons of community support, the boosters are incredible...... those are things that can lead to a long term coach if he's willing to invest in the community long-term.

Serious upgrade to the facilities?.... I'll admit Maverick Stadium needs some work.... but the rest of the athletic facilities have been upgraded to top-notch in the short 4 years Harper was here. Gym, Baseball, softball.... all are in Grade A facilities thanks to upgrades they've all gotten in the last couple of years.

Big job ahead for the school board.

Lots of talent coming back in 2017 from a very young and inexperienced squad last season that still managed a 6-4 regular season. They just ran into a beast in the first round of the playoffs.

Whoever gets the job will see a ton of talent. Not to mention a freshman squad that won the district championship last season. So even more coming.

Lots of work ahead. Good luck.....

and GO MAVS

I wonder if they keep the Same Coordinators . I gotta old coach over there. It's late in the game to be starting a HC search. Hopefully all have a good Offseason program in place already.

It's not that late. They will have a lot of quality applicants. If they bring in someone new, he most likely won't keep the coordinators (at least as coordinators). For most guys taking a head coaching position, that's there main stipulation. They want their 2 coordinators.

There are always exceptions. Like at Cedar Hill where a coach who came back to take the HC job knew everyone and left everything in place.